***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
One pass bbs, you must be either a wizard or our interpretation of BBS varies.

Had a great shave last night with my shavette for WTG then Qshave for ATG. Was seriously smooth in both directions for 80% of my face even 10 hours later when I got up this morning.

Soldato
One pass bbs, you must be either a wizard or our interpretation of BBS varies.

It's definitely BBS (or dolphin-smooth as I prefer to describe it), all over, in all directions.

It's not as difficult as many make it out to be. Remember, this whole multi-pass approach is relatively new. Previously, people tended to just do one pass and perhaps a "clean-up" pass.

Soldato
It's definitely BBS (or dolphin-smooth as I prefer to describe it), all over, in all directions.

It's not as difficult as many make it out to be. Remember, this whole multi-pass approach is relatively new. Previously, people tended to just do one pass and perhaps a "clean-up" pass.
Glorious.

One pass more the trend when it was all straight edge razors? Like I said above, I can't bring myself to even try ATG with my shavette. Just seems like a deadly proposition. I used to do my 2nd pass ATG with a cartridge razor, which would result in serious smoothness.

Soldato
Glorious.

One pass more the trend when it was all straight edge razors? Like I said above, I can't bring myself to even try ATG with my shavette. Just seems like a deadly proposition. I used to do my 2nd pass ATG with a cartridge razor, which would result in serious smoothness.

I think one pass was pretty universal across all forms of shaving, especially among the working class. It was seen as a chore and not something to be enjoyed. One razor, one soap and a splash of aftershave at the weekend. :)

Go easy with the shavette. ATG with a proper straight is quite daunting enough and those shavettes are a lot nippier. I have a Kamisori (Japanese straight razor) which I love but I would never try a one pass ATG shave with it. It's a minimum of two passes with that and preferably three, although one pass WTG is plenty tidy enough.

Edit: before I switched to traditional wet shaving almost 3 years ago, I used cartridge razors for over 20 years. I only used hand soap, lathered with my hands (no brush) and only ever did one pass, ATG. My neck was like black pudding for the first few months but my skin eventually adapted.

Last edited:
Soldato
I clean and dry my dull blades before tossing them into a small tin that used to hold tea. I haven't needed to empty it yet despite using it for almost 3 years.

Soldato
After 4 blades worth of shaves so about 2 weeks, had a pretty great shave tonight using the Futur clone and a Feather on its third day. Got a wedding in the morning so dead happy! In this weather I've taken to shaving daily, I'd normally do 2-3 a week.

I've noticed the blade has been misaligned so it cuts more aggressively on one side than the other (i.e. flipping the razor makes it harsher/milder). This started with the third blade and happened for the fourth. Any tips? Can't seem to tell if it gets better when I fiddle with the cap position.

Soldato
I had it on my futur too, not on the Edwin Jagger I tried though. The futur was actually moveable, a little bit of wiggle room which I felt shouldn’t be there. My 34hd doesn’t have any wiggle room but it is off, one side is definitely more aggressive.
I guess these things are cast so maybe there are a few that sneak through the quality process which maybe have taken a slight twist whilst cooling. We are probably talking about tiny amounts in spec but it is noticeable on the face.

Soldato
Finally got round to trying feathers yesterday. Was in a hurry so only a quick shower shave, was only happy to use them in such conditions with my Merkur 33C, wouldn't have with my future clone. Had a great shave, the blade felt very sharp but only in a good way. One or two weepers under the chin but that was it. Now have to think if I can justify the cost to use them full time.

Soldato
Finally got round to trying feathers yesterday. Was in a hurry so only a quick shower shave, was only happy to use them in such conditions with my Merkur 33C, wouldn't have with my future clone. Had a great shave, the blade felt very sharp but only in a good way. One or two weepers under the chin but that was it. Now have to think if I can justify the cost to use them full time.
"justify the cost"...

You realise DE shaving is cheap as **** right? :p

Soldato
"justify the cost"...

You realise DE shaving is cheap as **** right? :p
Well it's only cheap compared to cartridge razers if you don't spend a tonne on soaps, oils, balms, and lots of razors and brushes with it. This is coming from someone who owns 2x DE razors, a shavette, two brushes, two types of shave cream and about 3 after shaving products lol. I have been wetshaving for ~4 years now and have no intention to add to this though. For now.

I do try to be economical, and I know feathers @ ~25p per blade are still a lot cheaper than fusions @ ~£2 per blade. But if feathers are more than twice the price of Astra's, which do almost as good a job, then it's still a consideration. Look after the pennies etc.

Soldato
Right, figured out the Futur clone's uneven cut from side to side. The cap that holds/centres the blade has a little play. It's very stiff but can move. So this lets me adjust it so it's perfect, which I'm happy to do when I change blades.

Getting along with DE shaving really well 6 blades in, in fact I've been shaving every day to try and skill up! :)

Associate
After some advice guys... I've been shaving with an electric shaver since I started shaving (I'm 27, so was probably somewhere between 10-15 years ago), and I've tried a few different ones, both foil & rotary and I find that due to the thickness of some of the hairs I never seem to be able to get a close shave (and it takes ages to get as close as I can put up with). I've been thinking of trying a wet shave to get a closer shave, and thinking of a DE as the way to try (rather than a cartridge etc). Will a DE manage fine with the thicker hairs, and give me a nice close shave?

As I'm not sure if I want to convert yet (as I haven't tried it), I was thinking of getting the cheapest setup that's mentioned in the OP & giving it a go, and if I like it, then looking at better stuff as & when I need it. Is this a reasonable approach, or will the cheaper stuff put me off because it's not actually that good?

Commissario
As I'm not sure if I want to convert yet (as I haven't tried it), I was thinking of getting the cheapest setup that's mentioned in the OP & giving it a go, and if I like it, then looking at better stuff as & when I need it. Is this a reasonable approach, or will the cheaper stuff put me off because it's not actually that good?
The stuff recommended in the first post is perfectly fine, will work well and last for years. Go for it.

Soldato
As
After some advice guys... I've been shaving with an electric shaver since I started shaving (I'm 27, so was probably somewhere between 10-15 years ago), and I've tried a few different ones, both foil & rotary and I find that due to the thickness of some of the hairs I never seem to be able to get a close shave (and it takes ages to get as close as I can put up with). I've been thinking of trying a wet shave to get a closer shave, and thinking of a DE as the way to try (rather than a cartridge etc). Will a DE manage fine with the thicker hairs, and give me a nice close shave?

As above, just remember it's down to technique so it will take a few attempts to get that down.
It's not like whipping a Mach 3 over your face either.

Soldato
As

As above, just remember it's down to technique so it will take a few attempts to get that down.
It's not like whipping a Mach 3 over your face either.
Quite true, although I adapted quite quickly to DE shaving. But then I've used cartridge and disposable razors for 15 years on and off.

When I got a Futur clone in the summer, I started shaving daily to practise/learn the technique. But I was also really enjoying the ritual!

Got given an Edwin Jagger for my birthday last week and it was just... Beautiful. So natural to use, like an extension of my own hand. So I'd recommend spending ~£20+ to start. All the advice on here is great.

Back
Top Bottom