***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
I've used feather blades for a few years now and lately I've been getting some shaving rash, particularly when I've shaved in a bit of a hurry, plus I have thin skin on my neck and jaw line that is very prone to cuts, so I thought I'd give some slightly less aggressive blades a go. I bought a big multi-pack off ebay containing Gillette 7 O'Clock green and yellow, and some Astras. So far I've tried the Astras and the 7 O'Clock green and like both, they are a big improvement for me in terms of comfort and avoiding cuts.

Associate
I've used feather blades for a few years now and lately I've been getting some shaving rash, particularly when I've shaved in a bit of a hurry, plus I have thin skin on my neck and jaw line that is very prone to cuts, so I thought I'd give some slightly less aggressive blades a go. I bought a big multi-pack off ebay containing Gillette 7 O'Clock green and yellow, and some Astras. So far I've tried the Astras and the 7 O'Clock green and like both, they are a big improvement for me in terms of comfort and avoiding cuts.

Interesting this, as I have incredibly delicate skin and the Feathers were literally a miracle come true. No nicks or abrasions using my DE89 since despite them being very aggressive blades known for their extreme sharpness.

However, Mrs Shawrey treated me to a Wahl 5 Star Professional Shaving Razor (Shavette) at the weekend and I finally plucked up the courage to give it whirl last night. Decided to stick with the Feathers rather than use the Treet blades packed with the Razor and I was massively surprised!

Managed to get through with only a little tiny weeper on my cheek (which was a first) and all in all a very comfortable shave. I took my time - around 45 minutes to complete the shave but felt rewarded for the time invested.

Shawrey

Soldato
So, I'm seven shaves in since ditching the Proglide and king of shaves gel setup. First I tried a Truffit and Hill Limes Shave Cream, Feather blades, Bluebeards revenge post shave balm combo, had an awful shave, hurt all day, felt like I'd had my face peeled. I've since tried Derby blades and Bluebeard's own ones, definitely prefer the Derbys. Shave cream is nice although I got a sample of the Prosaro stuff which seems nice so may give that a go once the others run out. I also got the baxters of California post shave balm, it's awesome, it actually numbs my face which is much needed post shave.

I'm getting better all the time, neck perfect, face perfect except the top lip, still very sore under my nose and the odd blood spot, no ingrown hairs which is great. Think I've nailed the combo apart from the shave cream, is the sensitive Prosaro any good?

Associate
So, I'm seven shaves in since ditching the Proglide and king of shaves gel setup. First I tried a Truffit and Hill Limes Shave Cream, Feather blades, Bluebeards revenge post shave balm combo, had an awful shave, hurt all day, felt like I'd had my face peeled. I've since tried Derby blades and Bluebeard's own ones, definitely prefer the Derbys. Shave cream is nice although I got a sample of the Prosaro stuff which seems nice so may give that a go once the others run out. I also got the baxters of California post shave balm, it's awesome, it actually numbs my face which is much needed post shave.

I'm getting better all the time, neck perfect, face perfect except the top lip, still very sore under my nose and the odd blood spot, no ingrown hairs which is great. Think I've nailed the combo apart from the shave cream, is the sensitive Prosaro any good?

Not had the Sensitive Formulation but the Green tub stuff is great. Awesome menthol kick to it.

It's ok but I much prefer the Taylor's of old Bond Street stuff, get yourself down to the store and they have so much you can sample to find which scent you prefer.

TOBs is an unusual one as I always feel a slight burning sensation with it - as have others on various shaving forums. Maybe there's something in it that doesn't quite agree with my skin but performance wise its great! Super slick and the Sandalwood scent is amazing.

I've recently been enjoying Barber grade Elegance Plus Shaving Gel with very pleasing results. It's clear with no 'foaming' so you can see where you are shaving, super slick, protective and very hydrating to the skin. Will be looking to try Ossion Gel or Rituals Samurai Shave Cream next.

Shawrey

Don
@Arcane - I use the Red Proraso and have been quite impressed - has lasted ages. I normally have sensitive skin (one of the reasons I switched to DE shaving in the first place), but using hot flannel and getting face nice and wet, then shave oil (even wilko's £1 stuff), then Proraso cream, not had an issue using Personna Platinum blades.
Prep is 95% of a good DE shave imo - after taking advice from others early in this thread, made a huge difference to my shave.

Derby's for me aren't sharp enough, but if Feather's are too aggressive then worth trying some blades that are somewhere in the middle e.g. Personna Platinum or Gillette 7'O Clock.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Proraso-...r-tub-Sandalwood-and-Shea-Butter/141680791592
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERSONNA...uble-Edge-Razor-Blades-Safety-DE/132138322797

Associate
@Arcane - I use the Red Proraso and have been quite impressed - has lasted ages. I normally have sensitive skin (one of the reasons I switched to DE shaving in the first place), but using hot flannel and getting face nice and wet, then shave oil (even wilko's £1 stuff), then Proraso cream, not had an issue using Personna Platinum blades.
Prep is 95% of a good DE shave imo - after taking advice from others early in this thread, made a huge difference to my shave.

Derby's for me aren't sharp enough, but if Feather's are too aggressive then worth trying some blades that are somewhere in the middle e.g. Personna Platinum or Gillette 7'O Clock.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Proraso-...r-tub-Sandalwood-and-Shea-Butter/141680791592
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERSONNA...uble-Edge-Razor-Blades-Safety-DE/132138322797

Honorable mention to PolSilver Super Iridium blades too! @Arcane what Razor are you using? Most beginners tend to favour the Merkur HD 34c or the EJ DE89/Muhle R89.

Shawrey

Associate
Thanks guys, using a EJ DE89. I'm so close to getting it right, just the top lip is very sore. I'll try some of the Proraso I think, seems fairly cheap too.

Are you shaving against the grain there... South to North? Try not to do this as the top lip area is very sensitive. It's one area I outright refuse to shave against the grain - just asking for abrasion and soreness.

Try Going North to South on the first pass (with the grain) and then East to West/West to East (across the grain) on the 2nd pass. Your face will thank you later :).

Shawrey

Soldato
Been doing well so far - less irritation, i’ve been using B Men shaving cream which seems even better than the Wilkinson blue soap puck.
Compared to the Wilkinson brush, the EJ badger bush is softer but has a few sharper hairs initially. The result is a good thick lather with the B Mens.

Going to order a pack of feathers, precision platinum to go along side the metal disposal tin.

I have a mole on my lip, so i’m nicely surprised by the 89’s ability to cope with it.

The Mrs has already packed the old Gillette etc!

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it's great how many more people are going (back) to DE shaving and there is becoming more and more choice available again, I've been doing it for just over 5 years or so and the increase is amazing.

For anyone who is interested in another good soap, Mitchell's wool fat is great for sensitive skins as it's made the old fashioned way with lanolin from sheep wool

Soldato
I'm a fan of Mitchel's Wool Fat. It works really well and has a nice mild traditional shaving soap scent.

I used Phoenix & Beau Sanskrit shaving soap this morning. Another cracking soap but with quite a strong scent that suits the colder months very well, for me anyway.

Soldato
@Yadda Had my first couple of shaves with a Voshkod. The first was pretty good, and the second it felt like the blade was dull already. Very mild shave though, I can't explain it - quite a lot of pulling and catching, but no razor burn or stinging at all after.

It did seem like the blade rinsed easier though. Don't know if that's psychosomatic because of the Teflon.

I'll try a second blade tonight :)

Soldato
Good stuff, I was wondering if they arrived.

With good soap, prep etc I've not had any pulling or catching with them and I always get at least three BBS shaves per blade before they dull. We're all different though and they may not work as well for you. See how you get on with the new blade tonight.

I wet-shave too, but for those with Philishave electric razors, how long did yours last for? I bought my Philishave 4826 from Argos for £60 back in beginning of January 2001. Argos' price range for these razors back then were between £30 and £120, so £60 was going for middle of the road. Mine is still going strong which makes it just a few months shy of 18 years old! I still get about 40 minutes out of the battery as well.

I think the only other electronics that I have that lasted 18 years or longer is my BBC Micro.

9xrybXo.png

Edit: it seems that Argos doesn't come up with anything when I search for Philishave now. So you need to search for Philips dry shaver and look for the 3 dials ones like the above pic.

Associate
Bought myself a shavette and a pack of blades to trial maintaining my beard cheek-line myself, given that I’ve been paying my barber a small fortune over the past year to do so.

Thankfully, three shaves in, my fears of slicing my face repeatedly have not come to pass (yet).

Associate
Bought myself a shavette and a pack of blades to trial maintaining my beard cheek-line myself, given that I’ve been paying my barber a small fortune over the past year to do so.

Thankfully, three shaves in, my fears of slicing my face repeatedly have not come to pass (yet).

Mrs Shawrey bought me a Wahl 5* Shavette a couple of months back to do the same thing. £15 for cut and wash certainly beats the £30 I was paying for the additional shape up/hot towel which I now do myself at home. The Shavette has paid for itself a number of times over already.

Ironically I am getting zero shaving irritation with an open blade on my skin (extremely sensitive) as I know one pass with the blade is all that is needed and even with DE shaving I was finding I'd need multiple passes in different directions to get the desired smoothness around the neckline and this could sometimes lead to a bit of razor burn even with regimented face prep.

Shawrey

Back
Top Bottom