***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
Hi guys.

Done a load of reading, whats the current go to starter set for getting into DE shaving, looks like the first page hasnt been updated since 2013 and some of the links dont work anymore
I started with the Merkur 34C and Personna blades. No issues and would highly recommend them as a starting point. I use proraso pre shave, and I bowl lather (but as stated this is a preference, not essential). I have various razors,brushes, soaps & creams as I have become addicted to this once chore like past time :D

Soldato
Hi guys.

Done a load of reading, whats the current go to starter set for getting into DE shaving, looks like the first page hasnt been updated since 2013 and some of the links dont work anymore

You could pick up the new all metal Wilkinson Sword razor from Tesco for £15. Pretty good by all accounts. Get yourself a Palmolive soap stick for 50p while you're there.

I guess a few people will stop using Gillette now. :)

I saw one of the MRA types moaning about this on YouTube. Funny thing is, he had a thick, full face beard.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Down to 12 quid at the moment

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/301831685

Couldn't find the Palmolive but they had a blue soap dish for 2.50.

Didn't pick anything up in the end but was tempted

That's good, comes with 5 blades as well for that, I tried a Wieshi butterfly razor but didn't really like it (gave it my nephew in the end) but for £12 it's worth a bash to see if it's any better than the Wieshi.

Associate
Can certainly recommend the Merkur 34 as well, use mine along with Feather blades that are superb.
Definitely worth picking up a sample pack of different blades to see what you get on with.

Soldato
Picked one up along with a pot of the ws blue soap and brush.

Just had first shave
Washed with rockface exfoliate gel
Did one pass with washed the passed against
Finished off with a quick cold wash and rock gas moisturiser.

Face is burning a little but didn't nick myself which I'm happy with as a first time de user.
Think I could get used to this but the proof will be it time as I always suffered with ingrown hairs that turned infectious so if I don't get those issues all is good

Soldato
Think I could get used to this but the proof will be it time as I always suffered with ingrown hairs that turned infectious so if I don't get those issues all is good

You shouldn't get ingrowing hairs with a DE razor, I've not had one in the 6+ years since starting as there isn't any "tugging" of the hairs as there is with the multi-blade disposables.

I would suggest an alum bloc as well as I think it's the greatest thing I've used post-shave, this is the one I've got

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Osma-Bloc-...TF8&qid=1547846007&sr=1-3&keywords=alum+block

Soldato
+1 for alum block, I'm convinced it stops me getting soreness and minor scabbing after.

Also a styptic pencil for 99p from Boots, has been dead handy for the 2-3 times I've cut myself on a new blade.

Soldato
Not had any scanning or long term soreness. Couple days later though the stubble is coming through feels sharp guessing that's due to a better cut?

Soldato
Not had any scanning or long term soreness. Couple days later though the stubble is coming through feels sharp guessing that's due to a better cut?

Yep, with the DE razors more hairs are cut (and usually fine for 3+ shaves) due to a sharper blade than the multi-blade disposals (which dull really quickly meaning more hairs are 'tugged' out) thus meaning the hairs are sharper when growing back, bonus is that with less irritation you can shave more often if required.

Going to try my new Wilkinson Sword tomorrow morning so have that to look forward to.

Edit: Used the Wilkinson Sword razor this morning and I'm impressed for £12, much much better than the Wieshi butterfly one I tried before (that kept coming loose which isn't good whilst being used), if you're in the market for a DE razor than this razor is definitely worth a gander.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been using Proraso white shaving bowl for about 18 months now and finally had to get a new one

which wasn't a problem as it was only £3.30 in 2017 but unfortunately its now over £5 anywhere but to my surprise it was so bad as this what I received in the post

A nice surprise and will be seeing how the aftershave holds up to my regular nivea :D

Last edited:
Associate
Picked one up along with a pot of the ws blue soap and brush.

Just had first shave
Washed with rockface exfoliate gel
Did one pass with washed the passed against
Finished off with a quick cold wash and rock gas moisturiser.

Face is burning a little but didn't nick myself which I'm happy with as a first time de user.

If you suffer with ingrown hairs don't go against the grain but aim for a three pass shave. Before applying your choice of shaving cream/soap/gel/foam try using the tips of your fingers to 'map out' your face by running them over your face feeling which direction the hair grows on your face, this will aid you in going in the right direction for your growth. For most gents its usually down on the cheeks, under the nose and chin but under the neck it can be up down or sideways.

Personally, on my neck the left half goes down to the right and the right side goes straight down.

For the three pass try:-

1) go with the grain
2) go across east to west
3) go across west to east

This will get you a 'BBS' shave with the hair cut just at the skin level so you will feel a 5'o shadow later in the day but if done fresh in the morning should last all day - perfect for the office.

Shawrey

Associate
I lather directly on my face, so much easier than faffing about with a bowl.

I like to lather soap on my face as I find soap's like the Proraso Green and any Razorock soaps can be slightly intolerable to water requiring just a dip of the bristles in the water to generate a nice consistent lather. However, creams like TOBS love water and mixing in a bowl.

Also, I prefer the slightly harsher exfoliating feeling of my Omega Boar brush over my Badger. I find the Boar gets the hairs to stand up better.

Shawrey

Soldato
Stone the crows. After over three years of traditional wet shaving, I've very nearly finished one of my shaving soaps! A stick of Palmolive - I'm about half way through the bit that hides in the little plastic cap at the bottom. I reckon if I don't use another soap, I could finish it completely in a couple of weeks. Finally! Only about 12 other soaps to go... (plus another 3 Palmolive sticks). :D

Back
Top Bottom