***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Man of Honour
There will still be sim free and also very strong rumors off non lte 820&920, if that's true those should be available everywhere.

Wait and see I'll get sim free, even if I have to import then EE sim if possible.

Soldato
Confirmed that its a 920 exclusive, so from reading it, this is going to be the only option on contract.
I guess their goes my purchase.
Well done Nokia on yet another completely and utterly stupid decision.
I'll also add, if a non LTE version come to others networks, its just pee poor announcing from Nokia, not telling us the full story, as, yet again, they PR their way to getting no sales.

Last edited:
Soldato
There will still be sim free and also very strong rumors off non lte 820&920, if that's true those should be available everywhere.

Wait and see I'll get sim free, even if I have to import then EE sim if possible.

I will go SIM free for now, Im happy with 3G and wireless as I get 2Gb of BT openzone when Im out and about and maybe go EE if they do a sim only deal...

Associate
I can't imagine them doing a specific non-LTE version, what would be the point in manufacturing two types when you can manufacture one that does everything anyway?

Soldato
I didn't really have much hope for WP8, I have none if the devices are expensive and exclusive. Android has managed to gain enough popularity that some (non technical) people will now choose an S3 over an iPhone only because it's ubiquitous. WP8 appears totally unattractive and unfamiliar to the general public.

Associate
I can't imagine them doing a specific non-LTE version, what would be the point in manufacturing two types when you can manufacture one that does everything anyway?

It's already confirmed there will be a non LTE version which will be cheaper than the LTE version.

If they don't sell either in this country sim free then I'm sure it'll be easy to order it from some other country.

Associate
I didn't really have much hope for WP8, I have none if the devices are expensive and exclusive. Android has managed to gain enough popularity that some (non technical) people will now choose an S3 over an iPhone only because it's ubiquitous. WP8 appears totally unattractive and unfamiliar to the general public.

Wouldn't that kind of reasoning have prevented iOS and Android from ever taking off? Companies come and companies go, nothing has changed that.

Associate
But you are looking at it the wrong way.

Dyson > Hoover

Facebook > MySpace

iPod > Cowon/Creative/Archos

iPad > Early Microsoft Tablets

In exactly the same way the leaps in bringing an existing technology to mass market shown above has already happened in mobile.

iPhone + Android > Early Nokia Smartphones

The reason for "+ Android" is a combination of carrier exclusivity (so Verizon in the US HAD to push Android as it was the only option for them) and Apple not covering the low end like with iPod (mini/nano/shuffle) and like they will with iPad (mini).

It would be better to compare Windows Phone with Zune. A good product released too late into an existing market. With no leap in technology. Or at least that's the way it currently seems to be going...

Soldato

I see where you are coming from, but Im switching, and I had a SG3 and was a diehard android user.
I wouldn't have touched Wp7 or 7.5/7.8 with a bargepole, but then I started using W8 and office 2013. With the integration of the cloud and the metro interface, suddenly WP8 made a lot of sense to me. Im still a bit surprised to be honest as I have spent the last couple of months looking forward to the next nexus phone, but now I think WP8 will be a better option for me.
I also think that other people will come to a similar conclusion, apple have used the iphone to drive sales of mac laptops, and I reckon W8 will drive a few people into using Wp8 phones

Soldato
I see where you are coming from, but Im switching, and I had a SG3 and was a diehard android user.
I wouldn't have touched Wp7 or 7.5/7.8 with a bargepole, but then I started using W8 and office 2013. With the integration of the cloud and the metro interface, suddenly WP8 made a lot of sense to me. Im still a bit surprised to be honest as I have spent the last couple of months looking forward to the next nexus phone, but now I think WP8 will be a better option for me.
I also think that other people will come to a similar conclusion, apple have used the iphone to drive sales of mac laptops, and I reckon W8 will drive a few people into using Wp8 phones

Yes, I feel the same as this.

I went Android for phone and tablet because I couldn't get into an ecosystem that is foreign and closed like Apple and Android lets me integrate reasonably well with the Windows programs I use most through apps like Dropbox/Docs to Go/Exchange set up in email, etc.

Now I'm sort of invested in the Android platform with some apps I've paid for and some I feel I wouldn't like to do without (mostly language-learning apps), but Windows is where my main investment lies. It's on my home and work PCs and my laptop. Far, far more of my productive and leisure time is spent in the Windows environment. A better-integrated cross-device operating system would be a breath of fresh air to be honest. I may hold out to see if some of my favourite apps are ported across to W8, but other than that, I can very much see myself swapping my SGS3 and Iconia tablet for a W8 phone and a Slate...

Soldato
Far, far more of my productive and leisure time is spent in the Windows environment. A better-integrated cross-device operating system would be a breath of fresh air to be honest.

I think this will be the key selling point tbh, its why Im switching and I forgot about the surface, it is on my list, just haven't decided whether it will be RT or pro.

The added integration of apps on Nokia phones appealed, the demo showing directions and then by tilting the phone the AR app city limits kicks in was very impressive, cant do that with maps and goggles on google.
To be fair, google do some great stuff, it just isn't very integrated and google docs and google drive just can't compete with office online and skydrive

Soldato
same for me, having the windows link across all devices will be good for intergration.
Even windows phone 7.5 is impressive for its completely different look and style , I love 7.5 , so cant wait to get my hands on 8 and a 920 ;)

Soldato
Unfortunately I don't think Windows geeks (I don't mean this pejoratively), who are the only ones the above factors really appeal to, will drive the market. There's no mass interest in it at all, no hype from the public and no cheap devices to catch people that way.

I'd love an alternative as neither Android or iOS satisfy me, it looks good, and Nokia can make some great hardware, but it's all about the apps. No users = no development.

Soldato
^^
Hmm. You may be right to some degree, but I'm not completely convinced. After all, there will be a big drive from business for this I'd imagine. Didn't Blackberry's initial success come from its strong adoption within business first? And most offices use... well, Office, I think.

The question will be, as you say, whether this pans out into generating interest from app developers. It didn't for RIM, really, but Microsoft do have a big advantage there. They own game studios for one thing, and they have the clout to push the platform in a way RIM didn't.

Gah, if I could predict how future uptake of tech will pan out, I'd have bought Apple shares in 2001 and Google shares in 2004 and now I'd be typing this from my beach house on some far-flung island... :)

Soldato
Unfortunately I don't think Windows geeks (I don't mean this pejoratively), who are the only ones the above factors really appeal to, will drive the market. There's no mass interest in it at all, no hype from the public and no cheap devices to catch people that way.

I'd love an alternative as neither Android or iOS satisfy me, it looks good, and Nokia can make some great hardware, but it's all about the apps. No users = no development.

What apps are you referring to , as the only ones I don't see on windows 7.5 are bbc iplayer , and sky go ? Microsoft have the presence to push apps to be developed if they want , I just find the windows phone even 7.5 to be fast, smooth and a joy to use, how do you you there is no mass interest?
Iphones are iphones same again but faster , a lot of people have huge libs on iTunes and they cant move , or they will lose a lot of stuff.
I bought into iphone , got a lot of apps . games , and ibooks , only to find Apple don't allow you to move your book purchases etc , how dare they I paid for a book I want to read it , but cant unless I use an I device....
If I had bought the same books on Kindle I could have read them anywhere inc windows phone 7.5 ......

Back
Top Bottom