***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
Although in no hurry to ditch my Galaxy Nexus for a WP, watching this Apple feed makes me take more of an interest in the Lumia 920.

Other than the aesthetics of the device, the OS (iOS) is still the same old boring stuff we've seen since 07.

Soldato
I'm loving this phone!!
Really is the best of the crop. Wireless charging and the larger screen are doing it for me!!

Thing is...how does the OS compare with the latest version of android...!
App selection?

I'm a heavy google services user...are google apps available for it?

Phone features and secs are top notch.
OS and apps are what is holding me back at ye moment.

kbc

kbc

Associate
I love the look of this phone and from pictures, very impressive! But the app selection is so poor. But coming from an iPhone user who has purchased over 100 apps and music... I cannot justify ditching iOS for WP8.

Yet the iPhone 5 looks pretty disappointing.

Man of Honour
The app selection is the only thing holding Windows Phone back for me at the moment. Having said that I haven't checked my Omnia 7 for quite a while so it may have improved!

I'm quite tempted to get a 920 so I'll have to check that out.

Soldato
I think that is they key thing - the apps.
With the common platform between WP8/W8/surface Im betting that there will be a lot more apps on their way.

As I already decided to make the switch, I went through my phone and wrote down every app installed, and then made a list of all the online services I use.
I discovered that 90% of the apps I could get rid of as I had used them and then forgot them, online services Im still going through, but think most will be manageable though a pain for some things such as online sharedealing.
Most google services I can use through a browser, though I intend to migrate a lot of stuff to the skydrive service and Nextgen reader looks far better than google reader.

Im interested in wireless charging or rather peoples opinion of it.
Is it cool - yes
Is it a gimmick - not sure..

I like it, I like it a lot, but if I have to pony up an additional £30 to buy one, im not sure I will as I have shed loads of cables that I can already use. I really feel that Nokia have missed a chance to go for this by including one in the box??

Soldato
I've been thinking about the apps on my Android that I use with any frequency :

Tweetdeck
Browser
Facebook
Gmail Client
SWTOR Authenticator
Hullo Mail

I have about 100 apps on my phone but really could live without the rest of them. Even the ones I use have equivalents or I can do without.

Soldato
Oh yes, that reminds me of the other thing that will need to improve to tempt me over to WP8 - Skydrive.

Compared to Dropbox it's just too slow. Painfully slow. Given that it seems to be one of the central planks holding the W8/WP8 integration together it needs to compete on speed with the other cloud options people are using across their current set of devices.

Soldato
Oh yes, that reminds me of the other thing that will need to improve to tempt me over to WP8 - Skydrive.

Compared to Dropbox it's just too slow. Painfully slow. Given that it seems to be one of the central planks holding the W8/WP8 integration together it needs to compete on speed with the other cloud options people are using across their current set of devices.

I have 50Gb dropbox as part of my SG3, tried it and then went back to skydrive via the god awful android client. The updated client is better, but I just find skydrive works better for me..

Soldato
Now that they are releasing a 4g version in the UK it's got me even more interested, really depends on the cost per month and how much data with EE.

Soldato
I have 50Gb dropbox as part of my SG3, tried it and then went back to skydrive via the god awful android client. The updated client is better, but I just find skydrive works better for me..

Ah, that's the mirror image of my experience!

I tried switching to Skydrive because I had 25GB and (at the time) only 9GB in Dropbox. I started uploading my stuff, but found that:

i) it was much slower than Dropbox, especially for uploading,
ii) I found the desktop application and web interface less user-friendly and less well laid-out than Dropbox (though I recognise that may just be me liking what I'm already used to...),
iii) I missed being able to create live links to work documents for simple sharing with people who don't have a Dropbox account,
iv) in fact, there doesn't seem to be any Windows Explorer integration in Skydrive, where Dropbox has its own context menu for viewing previous versions and viewing online as well as getting live links,
v) selective sharing - I can't see how to set it up on Skydrive and it's so simple on both Dropbox and Google Drive,
vi) the Dropbox Android app might not be as well designed as Skydrive, but Dropbox loads and operates much faster (in my experience anyway)

So, yeah, my loyalty's with Dropbox at the moment. However, I don't think any of these problems are insurmountable for Skydrive, and I have to admit I like the idea of the links to Office Live and the ability to make files not in your Skydrive available from other PCs as well (I've not tried either feature yet though).

Man of Honour
Sky drives had a massive update and with more updates coming. It's also less than half price for those of us who pay for extra.

Wp7 has a ton off apps and expect a ton of new w8 apps on release day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom