***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
Dropbox, Instagram, Angry Birds, Draw Something, Cut the Rope, (Proper) YouTube, Banking Apps. It also annoys me how on Symbian Drive and Maps were integrated and both could use downloaded offline maps (awesome!). On Lumia, Drive has offline maps but Maps doesn't. And then on Android Google Maps allows you to cache certain areas and pre-cache navigation but neither are fully "offline". Arrgghhh!

It's less about the core apps (Facebook and Twitter pretty much) but that "fringe" of core usage. Like Instagram and Angry Birds (past the first one) are two VERY popular things of which WP doesn't have.

Plus the apps are of poor functional quality. Facebook is bad. Twitter is bad. Skype doesn't let you send SMS or even work in the background. And YouTube is just a link to the mobile website. You can tell that the platform isn't (or wasn't in the case of Skype) a priority.

Saying that though some other developers have created some amazing apps. NextGen Reader (Google Reader app) is simply the best app for RSS I have ever used. It's just so fast and fluid and much like WP itself. Rail Planner (when you turn off that nice-but-silly-on-WP background image) is again fast, fluid and integrates well.

Last edited:
Soldato
I personaly hope Instagram NEVER comes to WP, if I see anyone use the Nokia PV Camera then "Instagram" it, ill smash their phone and tell them its why they cant have nice things.

Soldato
I don't buy phones for Angrey birds lol , and as for youtube , that's gooles problem , get metrotube instead....drop box , ? use skydrive? new wp8 uploads at full res? there is also a dropbox sub but cant rem the name.

Why do you need to use facebook app or twitter , its all in the people app on the phone? you know the place where ALL your contacts are in ?
Don't know what you mean about Nokia Maps , its great. never lead me wrong , including downloading the maps

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't complain about any if the apps, all the ones I use are as good as they are on other platforms, and in some cases better and more polished. Only real gripe is the lack of banking apps but with NFC being pushed hard by Nokia and Samsung that shouldn't be a problem for much longer.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
I personaly hope Instagram NEVER comes to WP, if I see anyone use the Nokia PV Camera then "Instagram" it, ill smash their phone and tell them its why they cant have nice things.

It's been confirmed, it's heading to WP.

Soldato
WP8 will replace the Blackberry as the worker's corporate phone of choice if only for the new Exchange architecture, as well as the closed nature of it.

I hope they will have clear upgrade paths here on and not leave 920 owners in the lurch.

Soldato
I think we can all agree that WP 7/7.5 isn't all it could be. Having said that, my missus who gets about 4 phones a year depending on which contract she works on has always said that WP has the best designed OS out there, it is let down by the lack of apps.
I think that with a common platform between W8, W8RT and WP8, that has a good chance to change, and as I have luckily never bought into the iphone, I can still move a lot of my content over to WP, so I want to make the switch now before it beomes too painful.

Associate

I hate Instagram too. The problem is 100,000,000 people don't.

YouTube Pro is great. Angry Birds is on the Marketplace.

Angry Birds Seasons, Rio & Space are where now?

I don't buy phones for Angrey birds lol , and as for youtube , that's gooles problem , get metrotube instead....drop box , ? use skydrive? new wp8 uploads at full res? there is also a dropbox sub but cant rem the name.

I use Dropbox because it is far more robust than SkyDrive at the moment. Plus there was an issue where a person unknowingly broke the ToS (nudity of ANY kind) and got his ENTIRE Microsoft Account killed. And on Android Dropbox will automatically upload pictures I take at full resolution. On WP7 it's some utterly useless low resolution. I hope that's been sorted for WP8.

Why do you need to use facebook app or twitter , its all in the people app on the phone? you know the place where ALL your contacts are in ?
Don't know what you mean about Nokia Maps , its great. never lead me wrong , including downloading the maps

For you perhaps. Using built-in functionality try checking yourself AND a friend into a place on Facebook. Oh wait you can't. It'll only allow you. Having such things built into the OS (beyond integration like "Share this picture" etc. like Apple are doing on iOS) is bad. Facebook/Twitter move far faster than Microsoft can with their OS. And so this integration is pretty useless for most people as they'll need to go to the official app anyway.

As for Nokia Maps it's a personal gripe about Nokia. Back in 2008 (the time of the original iPhone that didn't even have GPS) I could pre-load the entire UK on Nokia Maps. Nokia Maps had Navigation built into it. So those pre-loaded maps could be used either for general day-to-day using of Maps or for GPS navigation in a car. It's useful (for me) to be able to have BOTH pre-loaded. Now on Lumia you can pre-load maps on Drive. But Nokia Maps is purely an online only app. Yet on Android you can pre-load areas of the standard map and get a fiddley cache of a navigation route. I thought technology was meant to improve :(

Associate
I personally think that windows phone 8 looks great and having now gotten usex to metro on my laptop am looking at getting a surface and eventually a wp8 phone to go with it.

I think also that this has potential to be the great business users phone of the future especially as blackberry seem to be on the way out.

i for one am very excited.

Soldato
Can't you just do your banking through the browser?

Not with my banks backwards ass system unfortunately. They have a great little app on android which took all if 2 seconds to log in and check my balance. I don't carry my card reader thing around with me so if i need to make a transfer i just do it from home, only really use it on my phone to check my balance.

Soldato
The LTE press shot makes me wonder why they've done that. The SGS3 is front and centre, implying that it's EE's star LTE device. If the new iPhone comes to EE's LTE network as well then that's yet more stiff competition. I thought Nokia were looking at carrier partnerships as a way to have an operator really get behind their handset (ala Lumia 900 in the States) and push it? With all of those LTE handset, is this really going to happen? Is limiting your target audience in the UK to 16 cities and one network really a good idea?

If it's not available through CPW or P4U then I'm jumping ship - there's some cracking deals about for the SGS3.

Soldato
Have Orange or T-Mobile said anything about the 920, or Orange sim cards in EE phones, or contract swapovers? I'm locked into an Orange contract at the moment, so is EE a separate brand that will have 920 exclusivity, or will T-Mobile and Orange be able to provide customers with 920s at launch as well?

Back
Top Bottom