***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
The Lumia 920 is the first phone in a while thats made me consider moving from Android.:eek:

Its a shame its an EE exclusive otherwise i'd get one as a work phone! :p
Wonder what it'd cost Sim Free?

Soldato
If all my contacts are backed up to google contacts, will I be able to retrieve them using a windows phone? Worried I'll have to re enter all my contacts which would be rather time consuming :eek:

Associate
It's a shame Nokia can't get this into the shops sooner. By the time it actually comes out I'm sure they'll be a string of other high end phone announced including the new Nexus.

Apple are the masters at announcing products that are ready to ship!

Soldato
Im interested in wireless charging or rather peoples opinion of it.
Is it cool - yes
Is it a gimmick - not sure..

Maybe someone can convince me about wireless charging. I don't see how it's anything other than a gimmick?

What are the advantages? You still have to plug the charging base in. The phone goes on the base- it may as well just be plugged in as normal? Also, you're then stuck with only being able to recharge wherever the base is, although I'm sure you must still be able to charge the conventional way via micro USB for example.

I can only see it being useful when wireless charging is literally everywhere, e.g. built into desk tops, coffee tables, couches, car dashboards i.e. anywhere you might realistically put down a phone.

Am I being a little short sighted?

Man of Honour
Well I've broke about 6+ charging cables this year. It's a pain.
Wireless charging will solve that.

allso the port can clog up with rubbish and on some phones you get it crack the case like the old iPhones and pretty much any plastic case phone.

Last edited:
Associate
Meh "Last edited by Fillado; 12th Sep 2012 at 00:28."

How should I know.

bvN0p.jpg

Wasn't even included in the edit :p I feel like I should dust off my Lumia 710 and play ARMED! with you what with all the back and forward :D

After reading up on the Qi wireless charging standard Nokia uses I didn't realise it can actually provide 5 watts of power. Which is what most USB wall chargers provide (1A at 5V). Makes it far more usable than I first thought!

Soldato
Maybe someone can convince me about wireless charging. I don't see how it's anything other than a gimmick?

What are the advantages? You still have to plug the charging base in. The phone goes on the base- it may as well just be plugged in as normal? Also, you're then stuck with only being able to recharge wherever the base is, although I'm sure you must still be able to charge the conventional way via micro USB for example.

I can only see it being useful when wireless charging is literally everywhere, e.g. built into desk tops, coffee tables, couches, car dashboards i.e. anywhere you might realistically put down a phone.

its a cleaner look as well, a small pad on your desk and you just lay it down, no cable ends randomly hanging about. Not having to seat the phone in the dock connection. Looking forward to Dock with built in NFC, then you just set it on then it syncs to you pc and charges with you having to do nothing.
Besides, thanks to the mUSB, any cable you had will act as a charger.

Soldato
Wasn't even included in the edit :p I feel like I should dust off my Lumia 710 and play ARMED! with you what with all the back and forward :D

After reading up on the Qi wireless charging standard Nokia uses I didn't realise it can actually provide 5 watts of power. Which is what most USB wall chargers provide (1A at 5V). Makes it far more usable than I first thought!

My mistake. Didn't see the brackets obviously :)

Permabanned
Is there a 4g coverage map of the London area and how much they plan to cover by the end of 2012? since I live on the fringes of London I wondered how far it stretched out, or if it is literally strictly within the boundaries of London and they block all the signal that leaves it's borders through a Dr Evil style plot :(

Soldato

I'm with you on that but we need to walk before we can run and the priciple techologies need to be lied down before we can have the 'dream' applications. Once more phones have wireless charging then we can see more effort in getting wireless charging stations everywhere. Phase 1 needs to come first i suppose.

Soldato
When I get one, I reckon I'll fit a wireless charging pad into a cubby hole in my car/van, that'd be pretty handy. The other benefit is docking to speakers and the like, just stick it ontop press a button and (assuming they get it working) you have streaming music and charging. It's not a a need, it's a want and would be pretty cool.

It's also pretty refreshing to see a phone manufacturer taking a first step with some new technology that they don't immediately get massive gains from.

Back
Top Bottom