***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

• Thread starter Thread starter RSR
  • Start date Start date
Anyone else think Nokia / MS have missed out here by simply not revealing price and release date?

Nope - I think that WP8 take up won't happen until people start using Win8 and see the benefits of the integration, so pricing and availability aren't key right now
Im frustrated about it, as I want a 920 now, but it not being available to buy now isn't going to affect my decision.

I also think that the delay might be down to WP8 not being finished, as the hardware is there to go...

They haven't really showen off wp8. That's why IMO they haven't released detail.

Two main opinions
Is wp8 finished.
Or unlike wp7 they don't want to give apple/android chance to copy designs before release date.

I also think that the delay might be down to WP8 not being finished, as the hardware is there to go...

That's the rumour going round, that WP8 is not finished/been delayed.

The truth is Windows Phone has always RTM'd in September and there is no delay at all according to Mr Paul Thurrott and he is the man in the know.

I've decided to hold of on a new phone until Christmas now. But it looks like my options are either:

This:
A replacement S3
The new nexus
Razr

If the Razr is comparable with the S3, then for me it beats the other android offerings purely because of its battery life.

The lumia is the big unknown in the equation. The camera, design, and OS looks great, but I'm heavily subscribed to google services.

Do you have to use bing maps, and is it any good?
Does google calendar sync properly with a good interface?
Gmail?
Drive?
Any plans for Google music?

Most of that's upto google and if they want to make wp8 apps.

We know google address book will sync. The others will have to wait for reviews/more detail.

Do you have to use bing maps, and is it any good?
Does google calendar sync properly with a good interface?
Gmail?
Drive?
Any plans for Google music?

WP8 uses navteq (nokia maps) - far better than google maps - it wasn't until I moved to Android that I noticed just how much is missing in google maps, especially in London
Calendar will sync fine, including if you have multiple google accounts
Gmail works fine - just give your account details on the set up screen
Drive - web browser?? dunno - it is google drive/docs that has helped force me to WP8 as they are so inept
No app at the moment, so web browser for g-music, at least as far as I know...

WP8 uses navteq (nokia maps) - far better than google maps - it wasn't until I moved to Android that I noticed just how much is missing in google maps, especially in London
Calendar will sync fine, including if you have multiple google accounts
Gmail works fine - just give your account details on the set up screen
Drive - web browser?? dunno - it is google drive/docs that has helped force me to WP8 as they are so inept
No app at the moment, so web browser for g-music, at least as far as I know...

Cheers for the insight :)

I guess now I just wait for prices and a chance to try them in-store

That's the rumour going round, that WP8 is not finished/been delayed.

The truth is Windows Phone has always RTM'd in September and there is no delay at all according to Mr Paul Thurrott and he is the man in the know.

If WP8 is all awesome and done why can't I download the SDK? And if as some people are saying you can write an app for W8 and also get Tablet and WP8 for free why is there even a separate WP8 SDK?

If WP8 is all awesome and done why can't I download the SDK? And if as some people are saying you can write an app for W8 and also get Tablet and WP8 for free why is there even a separate WP8 SDK?

The reason the SDK is not public is because it would reveal consumer features that Microsoft want to keep under wraps until they have their big announcement of what WP8 will include.

Would have thought that Nokia would have had more pushing the 920 now that the iphone 5 is lacklustre for many .... however been told that its still selling like *** of a shovel

The reason the SDK is not public is because it would reveal consumer features that Microsoft want to keep under wraps until they have their big announcement of what WP8 will include.

That is garbage. Apple and Google both announce new versions of their operating systems long before they are available on actual devices, and release their SDKs to go with it, the point being that by the time people have that software on their phones there are apps out there that make use of all the new stuff.
Go and look at the developer reactions to MS holding back the SDK then only allowing a small number of hand picked devs to have access to it, when software is the lifeblood of your platform you better have a damn good reason to stop people developing for it, and holding back for a PR announcement (which they could do any time they want) is not good enough.

Would have thought that Nokia would have had more pushing the 920 now that the iphone 5 is lacklustre for many .... however been told that its still selling like *** of a shovel

Well it wasn't an especially exciting release but I don't think the iPhone 5 is in any way bad and I can completely understand why someone with lots of iOS apps and Apple kit at home wouldn't want to look elsewhere.

Apple could put out some awful products for a few years before they'd start really hurting their business, just look how long Nokia and RIM were on a slow burn.

Back
Top Bottom