***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
Screen does look fantastic, especially in daylight. Glossy finish does look like a fingerprint magnet, but no more so I suppose than my iPhone.

I wonder what kind of technology they've used for the 'super sensitive' touch screen that works.

e: Looks like the black one is a matte finish.

Soldato
Winfuture.de reports the Nokia Lumia 920 will be released in Germany in mid-October and will retail for 600 Euro ($758, £476).

The Austrian art magazine ‘Future Zone‘ reported that Nokia wants to deliver the Lumia 920 from the middle of October in Germany. They expect the handset to initially launch only in a few countries, much like the roll-out of the Nokia Lumia 800, before being available everywhere.

The handset will be introduced first in Germany, France, Britain, Italy and Russia, before becomes available in late October in Poland. The Scandinavian countries, Portugal and Spain will receive the handset a short time later.

The Nokia Lumia 820 will follow 2 weeks later in the same markets and will retail for around 450 Euro ($568, £357).

Of note is that the Samsung Galaxy S III 16 GB without LTE is 580 Euro, making the 32 GB LTE Nokia Lumia 920 very price competitive.

A cheaper version of the Lumia 920 without LTE will also be available.

Soldato
Liking the 920 in matte black.

Have had about 10 mobiles over the last 18 years and 8 of those have been Nokia models.

Really hope these new phones succeed for Nokia.

Quality of the phones are not in question. It's the operating system that's the issue. It's getting developers to create for the platform when iOS and Android (when they can be bothered) has such a big usage base already.

Soldato
I cant see how Devs are going to just ignore W8, as when the make a code for W8 its then transferable with drivers etc to WP8 and Windows RT.
Even if they are not that interested in WP8, they'll be thinking of the amount of people that will end up on W8.

kbc

kbc

Associate
I cant see how Devs are going to just ignore W8, as when the make a code for W8 its then transferable with drivers etc to WP8 and Windows RT.
Even if they are not that interested in WP8, they'll be thinking of the amount of people that will end up on W8.

hmm... that's a very good point. More justification to consider this phone. But the Lumia 900 didn't do too well...

Soldato
Theirs too much stacked against the 900/ 800, they came out to late, to the US market, then the blow of not being able to be upgradable puts a negative on it, that's not really justified, if you take the 900 on its own, its a very good phone at the very point in time.
The way I see is their will be a bigger inclination to make Apps for W8 for devs, then they might think, well, we have down all the ground work, all we have to do is arrange the graphics around a bit, and the WP8 app is sorted to an other market with very little work.

kbc

kbc

Associate
Theirs too much stacked against the 900/ 800, they came out to late, to the US market, then the blow of not being able to be upgradable puts a negative on it, that's not really justified, if you take the 900 on its own, its a very good phone at the very point in time.
The way I see is their will be a bigger inclination to make Apps for W8 for devs, then they might think, well, we have down all the ground work, all we have to do is arrange the graphics around a bit, and the WP8 app is sorted to an other market with very little work.

I hope you're right and the hype/expectation is justified. The Windows Marketplace sucks to be quite honest and in fact one of the only reason holding me back from considering this device (a big reason at that)... As long as Microsoft and Nokia continue to offer decent updates/firmware releases (and don't just abandon it, like certain other offerings), I'd be tempted. Do we still not know the exact release date?

Soldato

Frankly I don't believe it will be as easy as that. They might share a kernel but the WP8 framework will be different to W8, hence a separate SDK. How different remains to be seen.

Soldato
If you have seen the SG3, then the 920 will be faster with its dual core that the SG3 with its quad due to nexgen architecture.
I think it depends on how much you have invested in the ecosystem, as to whether you take the hit and switch?
Im very biased as Im switching, so may not be impartial :p

Soldato
oh I def swiching ;) fed up bought a lot of books of iTunes etc to find they are locked to apple , if I have bought them on kindle I could have used them....
Problem with android is gaming wise etc , the developers have to develop for the lowest common spec , so the s3 might have a very fast gpu , but it is of no use....

I cant wait for the 920. I have been using windows 8 preview and it all looks like it will come togegher great .

Microsoft is prob. hoping that the same eco system with windows and there phones will bump up user base , and it will I say

Back
Top Bottom