***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
Android is here to stay whereas WP8 is still an unknown quantity. To expect people who have invested in either iOS and Android to jump ship there has to be some sort of incentive. Having a phone priced around the same as the competition (excluding iPhone) isn't going to entice people to jump ship. You can pick up a 16gb S3 from amazon for £430 + a small amount for a 16gb sd card and you can get them for even less on ebay (£380).

The incentive will be Win 8 and the integration between your phone and your desktop or tablet

Its about the same price as the S3 on release, so seems about right to me..
Just want UK pricing to be released

Soldato
I don't agree with your assertion that its far better but it definitely has a better screen and camera. But that is besides the point, if it was an android device it would have no problem. The issue is that its a wp8 device, an OS with very little market share and looking to grab a chunk of the android and ios market. Its going to be hard to do that unless you are offering a must have feature that the competition doesn't have or significantly better on price. The 920 is a great phone by the looks of it but I'm not sure it does offer that despite the camera and screen.

Somebody made an excellent point about the original Xbox being sold at a loss to garner market share. Undoubtedly Microsoft has more capital than Nokia but regardless I can't help but feel the 920 is arriving too late (note 2 and iphone 5, possible nexus) and not at a massively competitive price point to really help wp8 gain traction.

Caporegime
I don't agree with your assertion that its far better but it definitely has a better screen and camera. But that is besides the point, if it was an android device it would have no problem. The issue is that its a wp8 device, an OS with very little market share and looking to grab a chunk of the android and ios market. Its going to be hard to do that unless you are offering a must have feature that the competition doesn't have or significantly better on price. The 920 is a great phone by the looks of it but I'm not sure it does offer that despite the camera and screen.

Somebody made an excellent point about the original Xbox being sold at a loss to garner market share. Undoubtedly Microsoft has more capital than Nokia but regardless I can't help but feel the 920 is arriving too late (note 2 and iphone 5, possible nexus) and not at a massively competitive price point to really help wp8 gain traction.

But the issue with selling devices cheap is that you may get market share for the first year or so but then you're left an ecosystem that is seen as a cheap system for people that can't afford something else. The downside of that is you also end up with app developers avoiding the platform because few people on the platform will be willing/can afford to buymany apps. You have a similar issue with Android at the moment, a lot of the big games just aren't made or developed after for android because the developers don't see them as profitable as iOS versions.

Soldato
Android is here to stay whereas WP8 is still an unknown quantity. To expect people who have invested in either iOS and Android to jump ship there has to be some sort of incentive. Having a phone priced around the same as the competition (excluding iPhone) isn't going to entice people to jump ship. You can pick up a 16gb S3 from amazon for £430 + a small amount for a 16gb sd card and you can get them for even less on ebay (£380).

On the flipside, if they did price below Android and carved themselves a decent share of the market with price as an incentive, would they not lose it as soon as their market share is established and they increase prices? Going with your plan would risk devaluing the market and starting a price war (which Samsung would win - they build most of the components that go in to their phones, hence why they make so much profit).

S3 contracts have fallen in price as a result of the falling price of the s3. When I took out my o2 on and on contract I had to pay £100 for the handset. The same contract now only charges 19.99 for the phone.

The 920 is unlikely to see those prices for at least a few months.

Cheap contracts on the GSIII were available from launch, with the cheapest available being £89 + £21/month (24 months). With a decent allowance, the cheapest was a free phone at £31/month. It was over a month before the SIM-free price fell from £499.95 on Amazon UK.

I guess what I'm saying is, the SIM-free price has little reflection on the price of contracts, and vice versa. Both systems are completely different - different wholesale prices, different margins. The only trend is that over time, the price of both drops.

Soldato

The games console market is massively different though, no? The original Xbox existed for 5 years, in which time the technology got cheaper and cheaper to produce, meaning that by the end of it's life they were no longer losing money on every unit sold (despite the retail price being cheaper).

If they were going to flog the Lumia 920 for 5 years then sure, they could do this. Unfortunately they can't - in 6 months time they'll need a new flagship. As the technology is always evolving, always upgrading and always expensive, there is no opportunity to make the money back later.

Soldato
But the issue with selling devices cheap is that you may get market share for the first year or so but then you're left an ecosystem that is seen as a cheap system for people that can't afford something else. The downside of that is you also end up with app developers avoiding the platform because few people on the platform will be willing/can afford to buymany apps. You have a similar issue with Android at the moment, a lot of the big games just aren't made or developed after for android because the developers don't see them as profitable as iOS versions.

Well there's a lot more to iOS vs. Android development. But I think as I said in another thread the only way that Android has really started to get attention to the point that some (a very small number) ordinary people will choose an S3 over and iPhone is because Android is at every level of the market and has achieved HUGE penetration. Android may not get everything but it doesn't miss out on as much now and it's getting better and better because of the marketshare.
Expensive and network exclusive WP8 devices will cause it to fail. I'd love another player but don't see it happening unless there are lots of cheap phones or money thrown around to subsidise the expensive ones. And even then it might not happen at all.

To the people saying that the Lumia price is fine because people will get it on a contract bear in mind that it's ONLY on EE for now. I don't think that the "vast majority of people" are going to be ditching their current provider and upgrade deals to go to a new provider for this phone.

Associate
Not being facetious, but what integration? How will the two go together and why would I want it?

I'm just going to say some words....

Office, Skydrive, Xbox Live, Xbox Music+Video, Windows Live Services, the list goes on.

You may say well I don't need any of that to be integrated, but it makes life a hell of a lot easier when they are.

Soldato
Not being facetious, but what integration? How will the two go together and why would I want it?

I believe that W8, RT and WP8 also share some frameworks or something like that. Which doesn't mean a whole lot but as I understand you may get versions of applications for each because it aids doing so.
Someone who knows more chime in?

Soldato

Office, Skydrive, Xbox Live, Xbox Music+Video, Windows Live Services, the list goes on.

You may say well I don't need any of that to be integrated, but it makes life a hell of a lot easier when they are.

All of the above really. Up to a month ago WP8 wasn't a consideration for me, I was waiting for the next nexus phone and the pure jellybean experience. Then I stuck Win 8 and office 2013 on a machine and started playing around a bit and suddenly WP8 made a lot of sense to me. Add in the integration that Nokia demonstrated between their location apps and I was hooked...

Associate

I'm not entirely sure this makes it much different from what's available elsewhere, yes if Microsoft offered an out of the box everything connected solution they'd be onto a winner but it's something Microsoft have never been good at.

I hope Microsoft has something special planned for the release of Windows 8 such as explaining how we're to connect all these devices in a pleasant/coherent fashion. The suspicious side of me is concerned they've not given us any real details yet, perhaps this is what they're going to explain in October but past experience with their ever changing device synching systems does not make me optimistic.

If they don't have a good solution for this then they're throwing away their biggest advantage and I don't really want to repeat the abandonware experience they took me down with Windows Phone 7.5 (made all the more galling by the lack of any obvious changes we've seen in the Windows Phone 8 SDK so far) and I say this as someone who prefers Windows Phone over Android or iOS and really wants Windows Phone to work out.

Man of Honour
You don't need to connect them, use a ms login in (can also use other emails linked to an ms account) and its all seamlessly done for you.

Lack of changes? It's a totally different operating system. The only thing the same is the metro interface.

Go try windows 8 on a pc and you'll understand the system.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
Go try windows 8 on a pc and you'll understand the system.

Windows 8 on a PC is a dog to use. Utterly crap.

Before you go defending it, don't bother :) I have used it personally and for business use its the worst OS I have used since Windows 98. What were MS thinking?

For tablets and phones, yes. For PC, NO!

Associate
Just what is 'crap' about Windows 8? the fact that there are tiles instead of a start menu - one click to get there and one click to choose a program? That's quicker than the start menu system on Windows 7.

Then again,l the desktop is there and fully functional. Everything feels faster and works fine. What do you need that Windows 8 doesn't provide?

Izi

Izi

Soldato
Rule number 1 of UX = less clicks is better. Windows fails.

I might not have given it enough time, but a week of solid use and I wanted to tear my hair out.

Man of Honour
If you're taking more clicks you haven't used it enough to know where stuff is. Takes no more clicks to open settings or metro, than it does with old start menu.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
If you're taking more clicks you haven't used it enough to know where stuff is. Takes no more clicks to open settings or metro, than it does with old start menu.

How do I open Device manager without using the mouse?

Windows 7 -> start button -> type device manager -> hit enter

I couldn't work it out.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Windows 8 on a PC is a dog to use. Utterly crap.

Before you go defending it, don't bother :) I have used it personally and for business use its the worst OS I have used since Windows 98. What were MS thinking?

For tablets and phones, yes. For PC, NO!

Wrong IMO.

I've been running the RTM, since it was released on TechNet with no problems. I am pretty impressed with Windows 8 as its a evolution from Windows 7, everything I have tried on it has run.

However, isn't this a little off the thread topic which is about the Lumia 920?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom