***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
Jsut checked and EE isnt up in Belfast yet but they said by the end of 2012.
Any good reading as to what 4G will mean, I dont know if O2/GG have been setting up new sites, but I have been getting amazing Data reception from them latly.

Also, in terms of thickness, it it more or less than the 800?

Its quiet a bit thicker but I dont think it should be a problem, best to just try it.

Also just saw the 920 is only coming to AT&T, I think this could be really bad for the platform, if it doesnt sell enough it well just be the same problem again :(

Soldato
Yea when and looked up specs, dont think itll be a problem looking at it.

Cant under stand the network thing in the US, they need it on every network they can get it on, but if AT&T are the only ones willing to pick it up theirs nothing they can do.
Verizon seem the most popular but they dont seem interested in WP at all.
Though maybe the HTC pair might be, im thinking maybe this is why MS cosied up to them.

Soldato
Yea when and looked up specs, dont think itll be a problem looking at it.

Cant under stand the network thing in the US, they need it on every network they can get it on, but if AT&T are the only ones willing to pick it up theirs nothing they can do.
Verizon seem the most popular but they dont seem interested in WP at all.
Though maybe the HTC pair might be, im thinking maybe this is why MS cosied up to them.

HTC will be on a lot more carrier, and if I was Elop I wouldnt care how much work it was I would get on atleast AT&T and Virzon, in America it is almost impossible to switch networks, people really get tied into it. This is just shooting them self in the foot.

On a better note some time with the phone from Looks amazing, if I do get one it would be grey or cyan.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/4/3456914/cyan-lumia-920-att-hands-on

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/04/...tandt-hands-on-a-windows-phone-8-flagship-wi/

Soldato
HTC will be on a lot more carrier, and if I was Elop I wouldnt care how much work it was I would get on atleast AT&T and Virzon, in America it is almost impossible to switch networks, people really get tied into it. This is just shooting them self in the foot.

On a better note some time with the phone from Looks amazing, if I do get one it would be grey or cyan.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/4/3456914/cyan-lumia-920-att-hands-on

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/04/...tandt-hands-on-a-windows-phone-8-flagship-wi/

It's not really up to Nokia to be honest, US networks either say yes or no.
The At&T thing isnt really about being exclusive, its about Nokia having no standing in the US with networks.

Soldato
It's only exclusive for a short period anyway.

Ohh, I thought it would be forever, like with the 900. It is also exclusive in Canada to Rogers. I really do hope its limited time only.

The Lumia 920 is actually thinner than the 800, 1.4mm thinner to be exact.

At its thickest point? Wow the 920 looks so huge idk how anything could be bigger then that beast :p.

Associate
Nice to see a thread on here for this phone.

Thinking of selling my GS3 for this thing. The 920 is the most innovative phone in a long time.

Caporegime
It's only exclusive for a short period anyway.

In all regions?

It seems Nokia are going for the exclusive in every country, at least for a while. I do think that is a bad idea though, since when has exclusivity done anything for a phones sales? All it does is drive up the contract prices which will only affect the carriers bottom line not Nokias...

Man of Honour
In all regions?

It seems Nokia are going for the exclusive in every country, at least for a while. I do think that is a bad idea though, since when has exclusivity done anything for a phones sales? All it does is drive up the contract prices which will only affect the carriers bottom line not Nokias...

As far as I've read yes.

Exclusivity means the network push the phone and provide advertisement.
Where if you just general sale, the networks won't promote it.
As its only for a short period I think it's kind of the right move. As wp8 needs to be pushed a bit, before people start just buying it.

Soldato
As far as I've read yes.

Exclusivity means the network push the phone and provide advertisement.
Where if you just general sale, the networks won't promote it.
As its only for a short period I think it's kind of the right move. As wp8 needs to be pushed a bit, before people start just buying it.

TBH AT&T really pushed the 900, it was really cheap and had LTE, but it didn't do great, but the limitation in hardware and software could have held it back. Ultimately it didn't steal the show, or even make a dent really. I think we need a lot more advertising from MS, like how we see IE9 adverts non stop now, if windows phone had that behind it we could really see it do great, although the offical windows phones are the HTC ones :rolleyes:

Soldato
I think that Win8 will be a big advertisement for WP8, though Id like to see something highlighting the integration with the cloud as well as the better maps..
HTC aren't the official phones - AFAIK, the Microsoft 'official' branding is similar to the nexus moniker - pure software without the carrier added software

Soldato
I think that Win8 will be a big advertisement for WP8, though Id like to see something highlighting the integration with the cloud as well as the better maps..
HTC aren't the official phones - AFAIK, the Microsoft 'official' branding is similar to the nexus moniker - pure software without the carrier added software

Yea I think win8 will help push it somewhat, but I also never really heard much hype about the latest OS on a desktop, be it windows or osx. I also believe they need to push the cloud, maps and overall integration, windows is still at 94% market share for desktop, albeit 40%+ are still on XP, and the rest more or less on win7, they really need a big uptake of w8, this could take a good while given how quickly past OS have been updated.

Tablets I believe is the saving grace here, w8 on a tablet is amazing, it just works so well, and the OS is just so touch optimized, this is what I believe is going to be the entry point, they need wp8 tablets in ever work place, store, public event, shops, everywhere. Once someone uses it I'm sure they will just love the overall experience, and once the apps reach the level off the iPad I think apple should get scared.

Soldato
Tablets I believe is the saving grace here, w8 on a tablet is amazing, it just works so well, and the OS is just so touch optimized, this is what I believe is going to be the entry point, they need wp8 tablets in ever work place, store, public event, shops, everywhere. Once someone uses it I'm sure they will just love the overall experience, and once the apps reach the level off the iPad I think apple should get scared.

Good points
I should have clarified my Win8 remark as you are spot on with your comment. I have Win8 on the desktop/laptop at home and on my work PC. I will be getting a tablet as it shown me that W8 will be really good on a tablet - you can see how well thought out it is. I think tablet sales will drive WP8 sales more than the desktop will as I think that W8 will not be the massive success on the desktop that Win7 has been.
Microsoft have already stated that 8 is not for corporate clients, I know we will be staying on 7, with only a few machines on 8 for testing applications etc as the students will be using tablets/laptops that will have 8 on it.
I have never wanted a tablet before, I have laptops and a big powerful rig, but after using win8 for a while, now I find that Im moving from android to WP8 and will be buying a tablet, so MS must be doing something right..

Soldato
Good points
I should have clarified my Win8 remark as you are spot on with your comment. I have Win8 on the desktop/laptop at home and on my work PC. I will be getting a tablet as it shown me that W8 will be really good on a tablet - you can see how well thought out it is. I think tablet sales will drive WP8 sales more than the desktop will as I think that W8 will not be the massive success on the desktop that Win7 has been.
Microsoft have already stated that 8 is not for corporate clients, I know we will be staying on 7, with only a few machines on 8 for testing applications etc as the students will be using tablets/laptops that will have 8 on it.
I have never wanted a tablet before, I have laptops and a big powerful rig, but after using win8 for a while, now I find that Im moving from android to WP8 and will be buying a tablet, so MS must be doing something right..

Yeah, at work we just got win7 around last year this time. I never really thought tablets were all that useful, but using my GFs iPad3 it is really nice for traveling, and so on and using in bed and overall the quality of the apps and the screen is simply unmatched. These are the only 2 things w8 tablets will be behind in, although Samsung was working on a 11" tablet with similar ppi as the iPad3. Personally I'm going to skip the first wave of w8 tablets and wait for the Haswell based ones to come out, or if the Surface RT is cheap enough I will get that, it is just a beautiful device.

Right now I just want MS to throw all there weight behind this platform, the longer it takes the harder it is for customer to move over, being stuck in a ecosystem is just becoming more and more of a problem these days.

It really is an exciting time for tech :D.

Soldato
I just hope to god the keep the advertising style in the same vein as the rather badass Surface teaser, and even the ad for IE9 is a much better effort than their previous attempts.

Caporegime
TBH AT&T really pushed the 900, it was really cheap and had LTE, but it didn't do great, but the limitation in hardware and software could have held it back. Ultimately it didn't steal the show, or even make a dent really. I think we need a lot more advertising from MS, like how we see IE9 adverts non stop now, if windows phone had that behind it we could really see it do great, although the offical windows phones are the HTC ones :rolleyes:

I dunno really, it sold half a million in a couple of months and was sold out regularly in many shops in the US. It's probably a combination of not enough supply and not being a massively sought after phone. There are very few phones that actually sell a million units a month, normally only iPhones and high end galaxy phones.

Back
Top Bottom