***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Man of Honour
So your putting FLAC ripped tracks on a droid or any mobile phone, thinking yrou getting good playback value, when a simple batch convert will have them at 320kps.

Its not narrow, its practical with no loss of playback quality on such a device.
I assume you will be listening though some Grando cans with a preamp as well then?

I get why he doesn't want to convert. Having one set of music you can shift about, is all you should need. But as someone else said flac is a minority.
Just like apple don't natively support it.
Hopfully the required stuff is open in wp8 for a third party app. They have opened up a hell of a lot, just look at the app sharing and camera lenses keynotes.

Soldato
So your putting FLAC ripped tracks on a droid or any mobile phone, thinking yrou getting good playback value, when a simple batch convert will have them at 320kps.

Its not narrow, its practical with no loss of playback quality on such a device.
I assume you will be listening though some Grando cans with a preamp as well then?

This is a ridiculous argument. My music collection is in lossless format so that I don't need to worry about having different versions ripped for different devices. I can just convert one lossless format to another with no loss in quality and still only having to maintain one music library.

If I had to convert the lossless files to MP3 or AAC just to listen to them on my phone I would then have to maintain two music libraries. One in lossless and one not. Apart from the waste in hard drive space it is a waste of time and effort. I'll do the conversion once from Apple lossless to whatever lossless format WP8 supports (or has support added at a later date) and then I won't need to worry about it again.

Soldato
I dint under stand why anyone who would be that bothered about FLAC playback be.
Wanting their music on a mobile phone dedicated device.
Such a small amount of memory.
Wont have the best pre out sound.

Just by a high glass dedicated player.

ANd actually I have my own FLAC dedicated library, its realyl REALLY easy to have to side by side at different qualities, like, not even a factor.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just by a high glass dedicated player.

ANd actually I have my own FLAC dedicated library, its realyl REALLY easy to have to side by side at different qualities, like, not even a factor.

I think there are 2 issues here

I don't want to carry about 2 devices around, just prefer to copy whatever music I fancy onto the device, I know the quality isn't the same but that is not the issue, convenience is key

Having two collections is not practical, I have terabytes of tunes

None of this will stop me getting a 920 though, just a few compromises will be needed ;)

Soldato
Theirs got to be a way that a 3rd party will be able to make stand alone players, I heop so, teh 7.5 player was desperately bad.
The worse interface of ANY mobile system I have ever used.

Associate
After seeing the 900 in carphonewarehouse, im now worried this is going to be silly big in size. It looked like a sexy blue brick.

I went in to compare the size of my Omnia 7 to the 900 and it wasn't that much bigger considering the screen is an extra .5"'s than my Omnia 7.

I think its going to be something that you just get used to the size of it.

Soldato
I went in to compare the size of my Omnia 7 to the 900 and it wasn't that much bigger considering the screen is an extra .5"'s than my Omnia 7.

I think its going to be something that you just get used to the size of it.

Ha ha, I went in there as well to get an idea of the size of the 920 against the 900
The 920 is a tad taller and wider, by about 2mm each way, but nearly a mm thinner. After holding the 900, I decided that while Id like a less heavy, chunky phone, all the extra tech the 920 brings to the table would happily make me put up with any size/weight increase :D

Soldato
Ha ha, I went in there as well to get an idea of the size of the 920 against the 900
The 920 is a tad taller and wider, by about 2mm each way, but nearly a mm thinner. After holding the 900, I decided that while Id like a less heavy, chunky phone, all the extra tech the 920 brings to the table would happily make me put up with any size/weight increase :D

Yeah I don't really give a damn about size / weight to be honest. I just want the 920 :).

Soldato
Who cares, sim free baby :), if I get it thats how I will be buying it. I predict it will be the way of windows laptop/desktops were these things are dirt cheap, the 8X is already sub £400 and the 920 is sitting at 450£ :) great prices for the kit.

Man of Honour
Virgin uses t-mobile. Will they get 4g?
I hope EE sim only 30day contracts are good, really don't want to go back to a proper contract and this could be a steal by January, if they fall in price. Like android phones.

Soldato
Virgin uses t-mobile. Will they get 4g?
I hope EE sim only 30day contracts are good, really don't want to go back to a proper contract and this could be a steal by January, if they fall in price. Like android phones.

Only EE will have 4g IIRC, if you want it you need to be on either Orange/T-mobile right now and switch over, or get a EE contract. Based on that I would think Virgin wont get it.

I just got a Three sim only which is doing me well for now, got £75 on quidco so works out cheap :).

Finally, I think these thinkgs will be around £350 which will be an amazing price, more so when you compare it to something like iPhone 5.

Back
Top Bottom