***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Caporegime
After feeling burned for getting a WP7 phone (Samsung Omnia) I really shouldn't be interested in WP8 but I love the U.I my biggest issue has really been the lack of apps but I suppose I'm over that now.

The camera is the most appealing aspect of the device as there's little else to differentiate from the others bar design and Nokia exclusivity on a fair few services. If you're going WP8 you're almost forced to pick Nokia at this point (I remember reading they also had an exclusive deal with EA for WP apps..) why Microsoft would want such a deal to exist is beyond me but maybe it's just hear say.

Why do you feel burned after getting the Omnia? I have one and have loved it. It's a two year old phone that has had one major update, two minor updates and several tiny updates since release and it's going to have another major update soon with WP 7.8. There aren't many Android phones out there that have had several official version updates and it's on a par with iOS updates. WP7 is around for a while yet anyway as that what will be the bottom end WP phones will be running for at least the next year (couple of recently announced WP7 devices).

Associate
Why do you feel burned after getting the Omnia? I have one and have loved it. It's a two year old phone that has had one major update, two minor updates and several tiny updates since release and it's going to have another major update soon with WP 7.8. There aren't many Android phones out there that have had several official version updates and it's on a par with iOS updates. WP7 is around for a while yet anyway as that what will be the bottom end WP phones will be running for at least the next year (couple of recently announced WP7 devices).

This

I've had my Omnia 7 since day one of WP7's release and still love it, the timing for WP8 is literally perfect for my 2 year contract as I'll be due for my upgrade more or less to the day that WP8 is due out.

My Omnia 7 has served me well though, in my eyes it was the best launch device by a mile.

kbc

kbc

Associate
EA have allready said they're going to support it, and there's no chance they'll be exclusive to Nokia.

I think there's a lot of miss information and rumors, mainly as Ms have said so little, still find all the details out at the end off the month.

Edit - wow looks like Nokias been hard at work with companies, great thing for wp8
http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-reveals-upcoming-exclusive-apps-and-games-lumia-windows-phones

That's where I reckon you got the exclusive EA thing, however it doesn't say exclusive for most of the apps talked about, so I doubt they are exclusive at all.

Thanks for the post. Sounds promising! I am desperately waiting till the end of October to buy this sim free and I hope the EA games are just AS GOOD AS the iOS equivalent and not some hashed together mess.

Can someone please clarify that the off the shelf version will support the multiple 4G bands? I've just been reading that people are suggesting that there is an LTE version??

Soldato
Thanks for the post. Sounds promising! I am desperately waiting till the end of October to buy this sim free and I hope the EA games are just AS GOOD AS the iOS equivalent and not some hashed together mess.

Can someone please clarify that the off the shelf version will support the multiple 4G bands? I've just been reading that people are suggesting that there is an LTE version??

It will support most of the LTE versions including 1800mhz, which is what EE will use.

Man of Honour
I really hope these prices for wireless charging accessories are over-inflated guestimates...
http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lumia-...ricing-revealed-clove-uk-begins-taking-order/

I'd be expecting to pay £20 for one, not £60-odd!

Sounds right to me, why would you expect £20 , on the market qi chargers are around £40+ and the energizer qi charger case for iPhone4 is £20,
So prices are about right if you can find cheaper qi chargers, then that's the beauty of Nokia using a standard you can buy another one for anyone else. I bet they'll come down slightly though, maybe a £20 drop.

The jbl speaker stand is pretty good value, you would pay about that with out the qi charger.

Last edited:
Associate
At £20 a wireless charger is an affordable proposition, but at £60 it just doesn't make sense.
I would hope that Nokia would drive a volume of sales that existing manufacturers would not have, thus far, been able to achieve and therefore come in significantly cheaper. Until that happens then charging by micro-USB cable will have to do, and one of the features of the Lumia 920 will remain unused.

Associate
I got sent an invitation to the windows phone 8 launch on the 29th thanks to my tech site but it doesn't say where the press event is!

Just London and a time and day... That information is quite important.

I can't wait for the 920 myself but I really hope Microsoft have some great new features ready to be unveiled as the recent video walk throughs don't show anything new or exciting and make you wonder why they have been so secretive.

Soldato
Kinda agree. Maybe not £20, but £30 (plate), £40 (stand) and £50 (cushion) would be more like it. At Clove's prices I really can't see me bothering.

Soldato
Be aware though, Clove talk/ price some utter BS in terms of pre-orders, no one should give them any attention for this. I think they do it only for publicity.

kbc

kbc

Associate
Be aware though, Clove talk/ price some utter BS in terms of pre-orders, no one should give them any attention for this. I think they do it only for publicity.

I hope so, I wanted that stand but £60 is a bit steep on top of the £400-£550 for the phone. :eek: :cool:

... end of October already!

Back
Top Bottom