***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
^ That is as I expected, out of HTC, Samsung, and Nokia right now Samsung has the changes hype/fan base. I think all the amazing things in the 920 won't be more improtant to the end user. Right now its either Apple or Samsung, no one else matters as much as those. Which shows right here, Samsung phone has 0 effort, is the worst build out of the 3, worst looking, yet 51% of people want it.

The one main different here is the OS, I believe the Lumia 920 is going to sell well.

Soldato
[RXP]Andy;22949502 said:
The one main different here is the OS, I believe the Lumia 920 is going to sell well.

But right now to the mainstream user they dont buy a android phone, they get a Galaxy phone, I think of Samsung advertise enough they could easily take over the WP OS, without even having to push the envelope in-terms of hardware. Right now the way I see it is all mindshare, and what everyone else has. But I do believe Nokia have a good chance, they have the best phone, but it is slightly chunky and heavy, and Nokia brand isn't so strong now. The camera is amazing, but to most people good enough is what they need, but the low light stuff is perfect.

Man of Honour
Because the S3 for example can be picked up a fair bit cheaper currently. So unless you specificaly want a 920 you most likely wouldn't get it. Plus those rumours of the HTC devices being sub £500.

It's also been out for 6months? Andrews tech.
It's silly comparing old phones to brand new release prices.

And we have not seen uk prices, if we're going on rumors, then uk price is rumored to be 470.
Prices are not the same in different countries.

Last edited:
Associate

And we have not seen uk prices, if we're going on rumors, then uk price is rumored to be 470.

But it is one of it's natural competitors so of course it will be compared. It also needs to be priced right on contract so that everyday Joe who just wants a good phone would consider it. If he's in Phones4U et al and they're like well you can get an S3 cheaper it's what he's more likely to consider.

If it is more like £450-470 then that's of course better, but they cannot price it really high and discount later and hope to catch up.

Associate

I've waited 6 months so I think I can wait 3 more weeks to see what Windows phone 8 actually delivers but I'm disappointed because it looks like it's going to come in at a much higher price than I was expecting and I already got burned by being an early adopted of 7.5. My expectations were probably too high that's all but I was expecting more in the way of incentives to outweigh the problems.

In a sense you have a point it's unfair to compare an old phone to a new one but at the end of the day they do compete, no normal person would ignore comparing them because they were released at different dates and they're positioned as the flagship phones for their platforms, they will compete. The price point also pits it directly against the iPhone and makes it nearly a third more expensive than an S3 so it's going to have to provide some awfully big advantages (like wireless charging at a reasonable price!).

The UK prices may well be different but if they're not I'm having a real hard time picturing myself spending nearly £500 on the phone and £140 on a couple of charging stands, as much as I like Windows phone I can quite happily live with any platform.

Soldato
I really think all these stupid high prices are just targeted at the die hard Nokia/WP fanbase that would by anything. Shortly I predict a price crashes, the 8X is already £400, and would be a decent price on contract, I doubt the mainstream user would pay more for the L920 to get a better camera and a few apps. The wireless charging right now isn't going to be big, but soon the price will come down, and later on we will see it integrated into tables/ desks so when you go to Starbucks you can just drop you phone to charge and so on. This is what I think at least.

Soldato
I've waited 6 months so I think I can wait 3 more weeks to see what Windows phone 8 actually delivers but I'm disappointed because it looks like it's going to come in at a much higher price than I was expecting and I already got burned by being an early adopted of 7.5. My expectations were probably too high that's all but I was expecting more in the way of incentives to outweigh the problems.

I'm kinda at this point too. I like Windows Phone. My Trophy and Lumia 710 have both been great phones. However, I had a play with a Note II today. Android has come a long way - it's buttery smooth and I quite like the S-Pen functionality. It got me thinking, why Windows Phone 8? What does it offer that Android doesn't? Windows Phone 7 just doesn't match up, so I'm hoping they have some seriously good features up their sleeves. As you say though, what's another 3 weeks? I'll definitely wait until at least the 29th before making a decision.

Associate

Yes but this is generally due to sales tax. French TVA is 19.6%. UK VAT is 20%.

Who cares when they came out? Someone in the top-end of the phone market is looking squarely at the iPhone and Samsung GS3 (and possibly the Note II). That is exactly the market Nokia is going into with the 920. Which average consumer in their right mind is going to pick a Nokia over an iPhone or Galaxy? These people care far more about if the phone runs Instagram and Angry Birds and Draw With Friends than they do the UI/UX.

Just imagine what happens when someone gets a demo of the 920 and charging plate in a store. Their first reaction will be very postive (it's certainly cool). When they're told it's £55 extra the one "cool" thing about the Lumia will disappear and they'll get an iPhone or Galaxy.

At the end of the day Nokia (hardware) and Microsoft (software) have to come together not to make something different or as good or nearly as good. Microsoft have 2% OS market share (which I think includes Windows Mobile). It has to blow the competition away (at the same price point) to get people to care. Neither Windows Phone 8, Nokia (with the 920 & 820) or the other OEMs have come even remotely close to that.

Soldato
You can't go comparing anything MS and WP have done so far..
Wp7.XX is a crippled OS with limited functionality. Yes, well designed OS, but nowhere near the functionality or integration.
The 920/8X/ATIV are the launch devices for a whole new ecosystem, common platform across multiple devices with apps supporting cloud integration baked into the OS - try saving your app files to dropbox natively..
Will the phone sell WP8 on its own - probably not, will a lot of people get a WP8 phone as a result of having a W8 tablet - probably...

Associate
You can't go comparing anything MS and WP have done so far..
Wp7.XX is a crippled OS with limited functionality. Yes, well designed OS, but nowhere near the functionality or integration.
The 920/8X/ATIV are the launch devices for a whole new ecosystem, common platform across multiple devices with apps supporting cloud integration baked into the OS - try saving your app files to dropbox natively..
Will the phone sell WP8 on its own - probably not, will a lot of people get a WP8 phone as a result of having a W8 tablet - probably...

Of course I can compare, they released it barely a year ago and doesn't it seem a bit silly to just act on blind faith that they'll do things differently this time around? I'm just concerned now that I'm not seeing much in the way of new features in how we use the device and that they're pricing it at the top of the market, again yes I know they've supposedly got big stuff in store for the launch and I hope that's true but I'm going to be sceptical rather than optimistic (being optimistic has done me no favours at all).

Regardless of how well Windows Phone does I think the Windows platform will work out, the strength of Windows on PC will lead to a lot of trickle down for tablets/phones but that's not an argument to adopt these phones early is it?

Soldato
I see exactly what MS aim is but I can see it falling right on its face due to a few reason.

W8 - This is not going to be in any business and the general uptake of the latest windows OS is slow. Apart from nerds and such I never really meet many people who actual upgrade their OS on a windows PC, and the sells of new PC is getting slow at this point. The need to upgrade is becoming slower and slower as PC hardware is ahead of software in most cases. A cheap i3/4gb set up is good enough for 90% of the mainstream. I could be wrong but I don't think there will be a huge uptake of the OS, and it will take at least 1-2 years before it even reaches 25% of all windows users.

Tablet - The Surface tablets are very sexy and generally I think w8/RT is the best UI on a tablet, but taking on the iPad will be a very difficult task, more so that iPad is what most people think a tablet is. They will advertise and push this hard, but I think it will be a hard sell. Moreover most of the tablets that have been given prices are atleast as expensive as the iPad or more. I think this is not going to go well at all. Finally we will need all those amazing Apps to push this platform forward and I really hope Devs jump on it.

I think its going to be tough, but it will be very interesting to see how this all turns out.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Who cares when they came out? Someone in the top-end of the phone market is looking squarely at the iPhone and Samsung GS3 (and possibly the Note II). That is exactly the market Nokia is going into with the 920. Which average consumer in their right mind is going to pick a Nokia over an iPhone or Galaxy? These people care far more about if the phone runs Instagram and Angry Birds and Draw With Friends than they do the UI/UX.

While I do agree, people do buy from a trusted brand. However, I think one thing that's getting overlooked here I think is the resellers themselves. I know from personal experience when people going into CPW for example they are normally recommended straight away a iPhone and then failing that a Android device.

Back
Top Bottom