***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
Tomi's own data:

OS market share by quarter
Symbian; Q1 2010, 50% - Q2, 44% - Q3, 36% - Q4, 32%
Android; Q1, 9% - Q2, 18% - Q3, 25% - Q4, 30%

You seem to have confused yourself by not looking at that graph properly. It is comparing sales of the three largest smartphone hardware manufacturers. Not the three largest operating systems. In other words both that graph and the figures you listed are true.

Nokia/Symbian was losing market share because it was growing slower than the industry as a whole. But still growing. Yet at the same time no individual manufacturer was coming close to Nokia. Nokia was still the biggest and would be for some time. Nokia needed to get their act together but it certainly didn't need a dump-everything-and-get-into-bed-with-Microsoft approach.

The rest of your arguments seem to ignore that while the industry was growing massively it's because of a lot of bit-players in the Android market. Android was becoming big but (as I just said) there wasn't anyone even coming close to Noka. It's like saying Macs are a niche player in the PC industry (which they are if you look at operating systems). But then when you look closer they are something like the second biggest PC manufactuer. That is what Nokia destroyed (except they were the biggest).

Soldato
You seem to have confused yourself by not looking at that graph properly. It is comparing sales of the three largest smartphone hardware manufacturers. Not the three largest operating systems. In other words both that graph and the figures you listed are true.

I know both are true. I was arguing that the graph isn't representative of the whole - Samsung were the 6th largest smartphone manufacturer in 2010 and Android's meteoric growth was mainly split across 5 manufacturers. The graph downplays the significance of this growth, despite the fact that it was mainly at Nokia's expense (though some sales were also stolen from RIM). Tomi is using this data to infer that Symbian's death spurred Android on at Nokia's expense. That simply isn't true - Android (and thus Android OEMs) was gaining consistently at Nokia's expense during 2010 as well. There is nothing in Tomi's figures to reinforce his own point - it seems based almost entirely on Samsung's meteoric rise (which happened at everyone's expense, not just Nokia's).[/quote]

Nokia/Symbian was losing market share because it was growing slower than the industry as a whole. But still growing.

Was Nokia's "success" in 2010 down to Nokia, or was it down to the massive growth of the market? If your market share is declining by 6% per quarter in a market that's growing by 12% per quarter, you expect to see some sales growth. Inversely, if your market share is falling faster than the market is growing, you expect to see a sales drop. This is what happened in the first half of 2011 - the market's growth slowed yet Nokia's market share decline continued. Sales fell.

Yet at the same time no individual manufacturer was coming close to Nokia. Nokia was still the biggest and would be for some time.

Based on what projection? Nokia's fall in market share was consistent, so what exactly was the miracle pill that would have halted their fall from the top? Projecting based on 2010 figures, Apple were still going to surpass them around the same time. The surprise was Samsung - nobody expected them to steal the Android pie so fast. Yet this also had little to do with 'burning platform'. Despite Samsung's leap, total Android sales remained consistent with 2010 growth. Samsung gained at the expense of other Android OEMs, while Android gained at the expense of Nokia and Symbian (and RIM).

EDIT: worth a read: http://dominiescommunicate.wordpress.com/
I'm far from the only one to see a distinct gap between Tomi's figures and Tomi's conclusions. This was posted on another forum.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats a pretty strong assumption, businesses that use or are thinking of deploying tablets I'm sure will be looking at 8 & RT.

MS themselves said it is not a corporate targeted OS, and I have heard no word of it at all were I work, generally I have seen that it is really slow for companies to uptake the new windows OS, and if there not happy with it they will skip it e.g. Windows Vista.

I agree with your Sammy comments, but you are forgetting that for some people, removable battery, big screen and and an SD card are important selling points.
Id like an SD card and a removable battery, but Im not willing to give up on the Nokia apps or switch down to 800x480 to get one.
3 yrs ago, HTC were the brand to go for, Sammy where nowhere, who is to say that another manufacturer can't rise up, anyone is only as good as their last model...

Yes I guess big screen and SD card are important, but that didn't stop the L800/900 doing relatively well and stealing up the wp game. I also remember when it was HTC for android, but right now I don't see samsung dropping the ball, they have the money to just throw at it in terms of advertising. But for me its only the 920 that's on my radar, everything about it is top notch.

Associate
MS themselves said it is not a corporate targeted OS, and I have heard no word of it at all were I work, generally I have seen that it is really slow for companies to uptake the new windows OS, and if there not happy with it they will skip it e.g. Windows Vista.

I'm not sure where this description of corporate targeted OS popped up from, the last releases I recall that were aimed at businesses were NT 4/2000 and they're a little long in the tooth these days.

Soldato
MS themselves said it is not a corporate targeted OS.
source? I've seen in plenty of places Microsoft talking of enterprise features and line of business applications. We've actually got ms and Nokia coming into our work this week to discuss us potentially moving to phone 8, and were only a small business.

Soldato
source? I've seen in plenty of places Microsoft talking of enterprise features and line of business applications. We've actually got ms and Nokia coming into our work this week to discuss us potentially moving to phone 8, and were only a small business.

I meant just w8, I remember reading it somewhere on WP rumors, but I cant seem to find it, on the other hand wp8 seems really good for business, we have started to using iPhones where I work now.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Is Yellow too girly?

For me, was going to be Yellow or White. Though white is just.... too boring... samsung and iPhones are white!

I don't think the yellow is girly personally, well its ether that or Cyan like my 800 at the moment but I fancy a change.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom