***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
The 920/8X/ATIV are the launch devices for a whole new ecosystem, common platform across multiple devices with apps supporting cloud integration baked into the OS - try saving your app files to dropbox natively..

I feel pretty well integrated with Windows 7 + Android + Dropbox. What do you mean by native? In the way you can save directly to SkyDrive from within say Office 2013? Big deal. I'd prefer the two clicks to do Save As and then select my Dropbox folder than get locked into SkyDrive (or iCloud etc.). Oh and Quickoffice on Android has Dropbox integration and it's generally a better app than Office for WP7.5!

Of course I can compare, they released it barely a year ago and doesn't it seem a bit silly to just act on blind faith that they'll do things differently this time around? I'm just concerned now that I'm not seeing much in the way of new features in how we use the device and that they're pricing it at the top of the market, again yes I know they've supposedly got big stuff in store for the launch and I hope that's true but I'm going to be sceptical rather than optimistic (being optimistic has done me no favours at all).

Regardless of how well Windows Phone does I think the Windows platform will work out, the strength of Windows on PC will lead to a lot of trickle down for tablets/phones but that's not an argument to adopt these phones early is it?

Microsoft seems to be betting BIG on this being true. I don't really see it. Macs sell incredibly well but they haven't massively dented Windows since the iPod, iPhone and iPad came out. In the same way I expect Windows (desktop) to continue well but the iPad mini is going to clean up the tablet space. With Android and iPhone in the smartphone space. Why Microsoft is worried? In less than two years Android is going to pass Windows to be the most used OS. That's right bigger than the total of Windows 1.0 through to Windows 7/8. The future is mobile and Microsoft is presently to phones as Linux is to desktop PCs.

IMO the problem is the "Windows" branding on the phones. To most people it is:

Buggy
Crashes
BSOD
Boring
Work
School
*Insert specific malware type here* infested
Just generally horrible (Vista)

Obviously Windows 7 and 8 aren't like that (and Vista really wasn't bad after OEMs sorted out their drivers and SP1 came out). But to pretty much all people that is "Windows". Just think about it. Windows 7 is the first Microsoft OS that is stable, well liked and free of any major malware attacks via system exploits. That isn't a good brand to build the future on.

[RXP]Andy;22956004 said:
While I do agree, people do buy from a trusted brand. However, I think one thing that's getting overlooked here I think is the resellers themselves. I know from personal experience when people going into CPW for example they are normally recommended straight away a iPhone and then failing that a Android device.

Tomi Ahonen (a former Nokia executive and big mobile industry forcaster) goes on about this on his blog here. Generally speaking networks hate Nokia now and so don't bother to push their phones.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
I feel pretty well integrated with Windows 7 + Android + Dropbox. What do you mean by native? In the way you can save directly to SkyDrive from within say Office 2013? Big deal. I'd prefer the two clicks to do Save As and then select my Dropbox folder than get locked into SkyDrive (or iCloud etc.). Oh and Quickoffice on Android has Dropbox integration and it's generally a better app than Office for WP7.5!

I believe the point edgedemon was trying to make is SkyDrive in integrated in to WP7.5, anything you do from uploading Office docs to uploading photos can be done normally in less than 2 clicks, normally just one rather than using a application which is downloaded from the market place. Also with SkyDrive you get more space out the box, which I believe is 7GB vs the 2GB on Dropbox.

Don't get me wrong, I like Drop box and I do use it now and again. However, with SkyDrive its just easier to use, and I guess that the point the poster was trying to make above.

The problem I find with Android is it just on the whole feels very disjointed, that's my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Associate
[RXP]Andy;22958591 said:
I believe the point edgedemon was trying to make is SkyDrive in integrated in to WP7.5, anything you do from uploading Office docs to uploading photos can be done normally in less than 2 clicks, normally just one rather than using a application which is downloaded from the market place. Also with SkyDrive you get more space out the box, which I believe is 7GB vs the 2GB on Dropbox.

Don't get me wrong, I like Drop box and I do use it now and again. However, with SkyDrive its just easier to use, and I guess that the point the poster was trying to make above.

The problem I find with Android is it just on the whole feels very disjointed, that's my personal opinion.

It is disjointed but ultimately the functionality is far better. For example Dropbox auto-uploads (original quality) photos on Android. I don't think anywhere that photo uploading is involved does WP7.5 not horribly lower the resolution. Even from the leaked screens of WP8 the auto-upload to SkyDrive will only do original quality pictures over WiFi. What's the point when if you have WiFi you have wireless syncing to Zune (or Xbox Music or whatever)? I have an unlimited data plan so that's a negative right there.

I like the UI/UX of Windows Phone. Really like it. And sometime I do miss using my Lumia 710. But Microsoft just aren't getting anywhere with the functionality of WP. If you want (very) integrated and functional you go iOS. If you want (very) open and crazy-functional you go Android. I just don't see where Windows Phone fits unless you make it very integrated and crazy-functional. Microsoft also aren't getting anywhere with market share/apps (since now each depends on the other being there) so I simply don't see a future for the platform.

*Edit*

I actually have 25GB free on SkyDrive but pay for 100GB on Dropbox. Dropbox is far, far, far more robust with file syncing on the desktop. Plus there are many problems with having your file storage with Microsoft and it being linked to other things such as email, messaging, gaming, apps etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
WP8 apps from what I have read use skydrive natively, so treat it as a default save location which is useful.
I have a dropbox account, like it a lot but like the integration of WP8 more.
As for that link, not great, but it is the same for ALL cloud providers, and something that you just have to accept when using cloud services, you hand control of your data to a third party. Look at the innocent users who were affected by the kim,com case when they took megaupload offline.
Hopefully that will encourage the use of encrypted folders which should be mandatory when using cloud based services, it won't save your data but it will help to secure it.

Associate
It is disjointed but ultimately the functionality is far better. For example Dropbox auto-uploads (original quality) photos on Android. I don't think anywhere that photo uploading is involved does WP7.5 not horribly lower the resolution. Even from the leaked screens of WP8 the auto-upload to SkyDrive will only do original quality pictures over WiFi. What's the point when if you have WiFi you have wireless syncing to Zune (or Xbox Music or whatever)? I have an unlimited data plan so that's a negative right there.

I like the UI/UX of Windows Phone. Really like it. And sometime I do miss using my Lumia 710. But Microsoft just aren't getting anywhere with the functionality of WP. If you want (very) integrated and functional you go iOS. If you want (very) open and crazy-functional you go Android. I just don't see where Windows Phone fits unless you make it very integrated and crazy-functional. Microsoft also aren't getting anywhere with market share/apps (since now each depends on the other being there) so I simply don't see a future for the platform.

*Edit*

I actually have 25GB free on SkyDrive but pay for 100GB on Dropbox. Dropbox is far, far, far more robust with file syncing on the desktop. Plus there are many problems with having your file storage with Microsoft and it being linked to other things such as email, messaging, gaming, apps etc.

erm.... LOL

Sorry but IOS has virtually zero integration with anything, the whole OS is designed around apps.

Windows Phone is the only OS that has integration deeply embedded into the OS.

I see it like this:

IOS is for app junkies
Android is for people who want to customize their phone more than the average bear
Windows Phone is for people who want their phone to work for them and not the other way round.

Soldato
I believe the SkyDrive comment was a reference to apps syncing save data to SkyDrive, allowing you to carry your session across multiple devices. In theory it should be possible to make it cross-platform for more than just documents (i.e. savegame data), but I'm not sure if this functionality is present yet?

This is the problem with WP8 really. Either Microsoft is holding a lot back for the 29th, or they've spent the majority of the development time porting WP over to the NT kernel and spent minimal time building new features. If it's the former, I'll give WP8 serious consideration. If it's the latter, I'm buying a Note II.

Tomi Ahonen (a former Nokia executive and big mobile industry forcaster) goes on about this on his blog here. Generally speaking networks hate Nokia now and so don't bother to push their phones.

It's a bit like asking Gordon Brown what he thinks of the current government though, no? He seems oblivious to mistakes made by Nokia between 2005 and 2010, and lays all of the blame at the feet of the current administration and external market conditions. While he's a big name, as soon as he starts talking about Nokia most people in the industry switch off. He's not alone, there's a few guys from the same era who seem oblivious to their own mistakes and hide behind sales data. The idea that their lack of direction and lack sensible investment has contributed to the company's current predicament seems lost on them.

Last edited:
Associate
erm.... LOL

Sorry but IOS has virtually zero integration with anything, the whole OS is designed around apps.

Windows Phone is the only OS that has integration deeply embedded into the OS.

Sorry. I meant integration in the sense of iOS + iTunes + Mac OS X or Windows 8 + Windows Phone 8 + Zune (or whatever WP will now sync to). Android is just on its own really.

The problem at the moment is service integration on Windows Phone (7 or 8) is very narrow. Take both Facebook and Twitter - they are progressing rapidly and as a result the integration in WP is massively lacking. For example you can't check-in on Facebook and tag more people with it. Only you. What this means is (for me at least) I'm always having to go into the app anyway. As for contacts/sharing photos and other such things iOS is quickly catching up. Same can go for Twitter depending on what functionality you want. What WP really needs is a plugin system. Whereby Facebook integrates with People/Me and they can update this quickly independent of Microsoft and OS updates.

I see it like this:

IOS is for app junkies
Android is for people who want to customize their phone more than the average bear
Windows Phone is for people who want their phone to work for them and not the other way round.

Definitely. WP is the only OS that "flows" and as you said iOS is just an app-launcher.

It's a bit like asking Gordon Brown what he thinks of the current government though, no? He seems oblivious to mistakes made by Nokia between 2005 and 2010, and lays all of the blame at the feet of the current administration and external market conditions. While he's a big name, as soon as he starts talking about Nokia most people in the industry switch off. He's not alone, there's a few guys from the same era who seem oblivious to their own mistakes and hide behind sales data. The idea that their lack of direction and lack sensible investment has contributed to the company's current predicament seems lost on them.

Haha yes he is certainly a man on a mission (although he left Nokia ten years ago) but you've been reading too many American tech blogs! ;) Nokia made mistakes all over the place (although I'd say starting in 2007 - the Nokia N95 was awesome!) during the period you described... but yet look at this graph (taken from his latest blog post):

L9Rya.jpg

Nokia were making loads of mistakes but were riding high. Seriously when you look at the data instead of listening to the tech blogs Nokia and Symbian were doing freakishly well. That's because while Nokia didn't exist in the USA they utterly dominated everywhere else. Yes even with the iPhone. Yes even with Android.

What happened? Elop!

2KaJT.jpg

That is a picture directly from Nokia. What they thought would happen. Tomi took that picture (now that revenue from Symbian and Windows Phone devices is equal to know the mid-point) and they compared it with reality.

VPu6U.jpg

So you see that it is a wholesale, total, complete and utter rejection of Nokia in smartphones.

Which brings me back nicely back to:

[RXP]Andy;22956004 said:
While I do agree, people do buy from a trusted brand. However, I think one thing that's getting overlooked here I think is the resellers themselves. I know from personal experience when people going into CPW for example they are normally recommended straight away a iPhone and then failing that a Android device.

As soon as Elop (prematurely) announced the death of Symbian everyone (from Vodafone to CPW to T-Mobile to O2 etc.) just wholesale rejected Nokia in favour of Android.

Soldato
but yet look at this graph (taken from his latest blog post):

L9Rya.jpg

Nokia were making loads of mistakes but were riding high. Seriously when you look at the data instead of listening to the tech blogs Nokia and Symbian were doing freakishly well. That's because while Nokia didn't exist in the USA they utterly dominated everywhere else. Yes even with the iPhone. Yes even with Android.

Tomi's own data:

OS market share by quarter
Symbian; Q1 2010, 50% - Q2, 44% - Q3, 36% - Q4, 32%
Android; Q1, 9% - Q2, 18% - Q3, 25% - Q4, 30%

His graph doesn't exactly represent this truth, does it? The smartphone market was rapidly expanding during 2010. Everybody sold more handsets than 2009 - even Palm and RIM. The only platform that saw a sales decrease was Windows Mobile, and that had been discontinued. Looking at sales, seeing an increase and saying "everything's fine!" is a lie. In a rapidly expanding market, market share is the better measure as it tells you how you are performing against the market. In this case, Symbian wasn't doing well at all. It was losing market share at roughly the same rate that Android was gaining it. If Symbian continued to lose at this rate, and Android continued to gain steadily then... we'd get pretty much the result that happened, actually. I popped these numbers in to Excel, asked it to plot the points, then looked up the Q1 and Q2 2011 figures and they pretty much fit the graph.

The trend is similar for the manufacturers. Overall smartphone sales slowed up in the first half of 2011. A a result, Nokia's sales troubles became evident - they were showing successive quarters of sales growth because the market was expanding. Their market share had actually been declining steadily for years at this point. They did manage to pull off flat growth in the first half of 2010, but they did this by selling handsets at cost. Once they stopped doing this, market share continued to slide - 6% down in Q3, 5% down in Q4, 5% down in Q1 2011, 9% down in Q2, 2% down in Q3. Meanwhile, Samsung's sales were way up YoY, as were sales on the Android platform as a whole. There was strong momentum there, with all Android OEMs growing sales each quarter at Nokia's expense. The 'burning platform' memo does seem to have had some effect on Nokia's sales and market share - they went from losing 5 or 6% per quarter to losing 9% in Q2 2011, though Q3's 2% loss of market share goes some way towards nullifying this.

As soon as Elop (prematurely) announced the death of Symbian everyone (from Vodafone to CPW to T-Mobile to O2 etc.) just wholesale rejected Nokia in favour of Android.

This is the illusion though, isn't it? Android was already stealing Nokia's pie, and the great Symbian 'crash' was a mere 3% spike in market share loss (first half of 2011 versus second half of 2010). In terms of Android's growth and Samsung's growth, they didn't get a boost from the 'burning platform' memo - there was no sudden spike in their sales. Growth followed the pattern laid down in 2010 - it was consistent. If you plot the market share figures from 2009 and 2010, 2011 isn't a surprise - it's a continuation of the trends that were already happening. Rather than single handedly killing Nokia and giving rise to Android, Stephen Elop's impact on the market has been minimal (which, to be honest, is probably worse than him actually having affected the market in some way). He's definitely guilty of failing to halt the decline, but the decline itself is the product of his predecessors.

Last edited:
Soldato
^ That is as I expected, out of HTC, Samsung, and Nokia right now Samsung has the biggest hype/fan base. I think all the amazing things in the 920 won't be more improtant to the end user. Right now its either Apple or Samsung, no one else matters as much as those. Which shows right here, Samsung phone has 0 effort, is the worst build out of the 3, worst looking, yet 51% of people want it.

I agree with your Sammy comments, but you are forgetting that for some people, removable battery, big screen and and an SD card are important selling points.
Id like an SD card and a removable battery, but Im not willing to give up on the Nokia apps or switch down to 800x480 to get one.
3 yrs ago, HTC were the brand to go for, Sammy where nowhere, who is to say that another manufacturer can't rise up, anyone is only as good as their last model...

Soldato
Same here - Im hoping for some sort of deal with a wireless charger thrown in, whilst crossing my fingers hoping that it won't be the fatboy pillow like it was in France

Back
Top Bottom