***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
Their going to be fine, really, get a grip.
If you wanna get teary eyes about a company go shed them for Sony right now.

No tears or feeling upset, I'm no fanboy, I buy whatever suits me. If there was anyone I was sad to see go it was Palm as they had a better OS than Apple. They also had the wireless charging and fairly nice looking design.

You have to ask how long can a company keep posting €969 losses in these times.

Sony's problem is they're making lots of TVs but nobody is buying them, buying the competitors instead.

Associate
im wondering whether to wait for this or get the Note 2, at least i know the price of the Note 2 and have confirmed dates from EE in regards to price plans, and over on Nokia's facebook page, they seem to be rinsing the promotion of this device with a lot of stuff we've seen before, but not giving anything else away, apparently you can print and make a cardboard cut out of the device... lol

Associate
..and one Time Apple was ran by Bank managers survived in part from bailouts from MS..things change.

That was when Steve Jobs wasn't at the company. If he hadn't been ousted it may have been very different. MS had an obligation to keep Apple afloat to avoid any more anti-trust investigations.

Nokia aren't Apple, they don't have full control of their destiny any more. They are reliant on Microsoft for the OS for their premium phones.

Soldato
And theirs nothing wrong with that,they will be fine,if you are so worried go by another phone and stop posting in here and distracting the thread.

And for the information MS bailed them out to stop it looking like that would have a complete monopoly on the home computing market.

Associate
I'm not worried, I want the phone now, I will give them my money but they're making it more difficult with stupid deals with network operators (who already have too much control). I'm just making the point that they are being run by fools who seem to think that restricting your retail coverage is somehow good for business.

I know MS bailed them out, you're just repeating what I wrote. Antitrust means competition law, so when I wrote they wanted to avoid an anti-trust investigation it means not appear as a monopoly.

Man of Honour
I've said m it before, it's a gamble on how well they think it will sell.

Going exclusive means the network will push the phone, advertise for you etc.
Just releasing it means you won't get that and need to know that it will sale regardless.

So yes it's a gamble, but exclusivity doesn't mean it's a bad choice.

However it would be stupid for someone like Samsung to do it as they are so popular and have the market penetration.

Basically Nokia have gambled that it will be initially hard to break in and sell.

Soldato
There's plenty of Voda contracts listed here:

http://www.digital-phone.co.uk/product/nokia-lumia-920-black.aspx

They all seem a bit light on data for such a data intensive phone though.

£37 to get the phone free seems crazy :eek:

I've said m it before, it's a gamble on how well they think it will sell.

Going exclusive means the network will push the phone, advertise for you etc.
Just releasing it means you won't get that and need to know that it will sale regardless.

So yes it's a gamble, but exclusivity doesn't mean it's a bad choice.

However it would be stupid for someone like Samsung to do it as they are so popular and have the market penetration.

Basically Nokia have gambled that it will be initially hard to break in and sell.

It would have been better if it was the only 4g phone on EE, having big names like S3/iPhone 5 I have a feeling people would rather get that. Over seas I believe AT&T will push it but I doubt EE will push it but more the fact they only have 4G, and show off all the phone they have.

Last edited:
Associate
£37 to get the phone free seems crazy :eek:

I've done my sums and so long as I can get the phone for less than £600 (which is a given) then it's cheaper for me to buy SIM-free and carry on using Giffgaff.

Obviously EE may have 4G but I very much doubt I will get a 4G signal around Staffs.

Soldato
I've done my sums and so long as I can get the phone for less than £600 (which is a given) then it's cheaper for me to buy SIM-free and carry on using Giffgaff.

Obviously EE may have 4G but I very much doubt I will get a 4G signal around Staffs.

Ditto, I dont mind waiting a bit for the price to fall, £400~ is what I want sim free. I would want a 4g version sim free as I want to keep my next phone for a good 2 years or so, which leaves me only looking at wp/Nexus/iPhone as I'm tired of updates.

Soldato
I'm not worried, I want the phone now, I will give them my money but they're making it more difficult with stupid deals with network operators (who already have too much control). I'm just making the point that they are being run by fools who seem to think that restricting your retail coverage is somehow good for business.

I know MS bailed them out, you're just repeating what I wrote. Antitrust means competition law, so when I wrote they wanted to avoid an anti-trust investigation it means not appear as a monopoly.

Completely agree, it's bad management by Nokia execs. I think the exclusivity is a stupid idea anyway. Yes it means that EE will be pushing the 920 more than almost any other phone they sell, but surely it would be better to offer the phone to all the networks and do advertising of their own like they did with the 800?!

OT, I find it nuts that MS had to prop up Apple to stop anti-trust investigations, it shouldn't be a companies responsibility to prop up their competitors.

Man of Honour
It doesn't really leave you with iPhone, iPhone doesn't support future LtE in uk. So basically leaves you with part of EE and threes network, even they will be using a mix of the current frequencies and the new ones after the auction.

Associate
Completely agree, it's bad management by Nokia execs.

Especially given this is being pitched as a business and personal device now. WP8 supports all the encryption and other security features that make it suitable for business.

Most companies have a preferred network operator and existing deal, they will get what is available on their network.

Associate
OT, I find it nuts that MS had to prop up Apple to stop anti-trust investigations, it shouldn't be a companies responsibility to prop up their competitors.

They invested money in Apple and promised to continue to make Office for the Mac. The shares Microsoft bought are very valuable now.

Soldato
They invested money in Apple and promised to continue to make Office for the Mac. The shares Microsoft bought are very valuable now.

MS paid for patent and technology rights and promised to continue Office for Mac and Apple put IE on all their computers, also this investment came after Jobs came back to Apple.
And on the shares, they would be worth a lot, if MS still held any but they sold them all in 2003.

Back
Top Bottom