***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
Well if that site if offering up Vodaphone contracts not on EE, im guessing theirs a non LTE version as well then.

4G phones will support 3G and 2G as well. They have to given that you can't get 3G everywhere and it will be a few years before 4G coverage is approaching 3G levels.

Either DigitalPhone.co.uk is sourcing handsets from other EU countries (grey imports) or Nokia are using demand from other networks and companies as a bargaining chip in their negotiations with EE.

I don't think grey imports are that uncommon? I remember the company where I work getting Nokia phones from Phones 4 U many years ago and they had a full keyboard, except it wasn't QWERTY it was QWERTZ (German layout). Obviously with 0-9 keyboards there wasn't a difference, but since this was a full keyboard there was :)

Last edited:
Associate
I sent Clove an email about the 920 availability. They say they think EE won't commit to the level of volume (ie. number of handsets) required to obtain an exclusive on the handset.

I can only assume that Nokia have some sort of idea of demand and if EE don't give a figure similar to that then the deal is off.

Associate
I sent Clove an email about the 920 availability. They say they think EE won't commit to the level of volume (ie. number of handsets) required to obtain an exclusive on the handset.

I can only assume that Nokia have some sort of idea of demand and if EE don't give a figure similar to that then the deal is off.

If that's true what Clove said that's bad for Nokia. Very, very bad!

What's happening is that in the exclusivity agreement EE will agree that Nokia will get paid for X number of handsets (per month or term of the agreement or whatever). If EE can't sell them they still have to give Nokia the money. It's meant to benefit EE (get people onto the network for the phone) and Nokia (they get a minimum guaranteed amount of money).

So Nokia are asking for them to sell (as an example) 100,000 phones/month but EE only think there is demand for 50,000 phones/month. In other words EE think Nokia is full of it. If this deal goes south then what's it going to look like Nokia going to other networks? "Pleeeeeaaasssse take my phone! We didn't want you before but we like you now! Look at my shiny Lumia! You know you want it!!".

:rolleyes:

Associate
I think there's more to it than that, EE will agree to market the phone as well. Advertising campaigns and so on.

Well yes :) But that's basically a by-product of the fundamental part of the agreement. EE have X phones to sell in a certain time otherwise A. They have to discount them (and make less profit) or B. They have to discount them to the point they make a loss.

If there's any truth to what Clove said EE have done whatever maths needed that includes marketing budget + sales staff pushing the phones + expected sales and they are coming out and saying they simply wouldn't be able to get near the figure Nokia wants.

All speculation until we see what happens though. Heck Nokia could agree to a lower amount so we could never know.

But I did think this was odd:

jhkjhk.jpg

I would've thought they'd push the exclusive phones...

Soldato
I think whats going on here is EE are choosing to use a brand new flagship phone that will have some kind of hype around it that times in very nicely with their own 4G push, and the fact it come to market as a LTE enabled phone. Same for the 820.
It could well be the exclusivity talk will be about how having a 920 with 4G is exclusive to EE.

Soldato
I think EE would rather talk up the Note 2 and S3 (clearly shown in above phone) purely on the bases that they are much easier sells. The Exclusive 920 will be something I guess but I doubt they believe in it too much.

Associate
I think EE would rather talk up the Note 2 and S3 (clearly shown in above phone) purely on the bases that they are much easier sells. The Exclusive 920 will be something I guess but I doubt they believe in it too much.

But the UK model of the S3 is 3G only. There is a 4G LTE model but it's not the one you will find widely on sale in the UK right now.

So the 920 being the latest model and 4G means a stunning handset to pitch.

Last edited:
Associate
Those prices are for 24 month contracts as well!
I was hoping to have to make a difficult decision between buying SIM free with my current monthly contract, or switching to an EE contract. Those prices mean there is no choice, it's SIM free phone all the way.

Soldato
Those prices! Looking around though contract prices have gotten silly expensive, I remember a couple of years ago you could get the top end £500 phones free with a £32pm contract 600mins and unlimited texts. Still expensive but now they want £180 up front for essentially the same contract with a measly 500mb of data.

Looks like I'll be with Vodafone forever, there's no point in changing networks as I won't get anywhere near as good a deal and its only going to get more expensive.

Associate
I pay £10 a month with GiffGaff and get unlimited data, text and around 250 minutes. That's going up to £12 next month but it's still better than £36 for such a rubbish deal.

Two years was okay with the iPhone as it got supported that long, but imagine if you had a Lumia 900 on contract right now?

Soldato
They're killing 4g with those prices, 4g on 500mb a month, all that money to instantly stream a few youtube vids IF your area is supported. Hahaha ABSOLUTE JOKES!

Associate
Crazy thing is if 4g is as fast as they say then people will want to use it for more data intensive stuff.

I'll be waiting for the other networks to launch and become more established i think. Prices should come down once competition is present.

Back
Top Bottom