***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
Because Vodafone are massively better?...

Want a Note II? That'll be £47/month with 2GB data, or you could go EE, pay £39.99 for the phone and an extra £4/month for 5GB data at 4G speeds. O2, Orange, T-Mobile are a similar story. The extra that EE are charging isn't that much when you take in to consideration the extra data allowance and the potential faster speeds. It's Three that's showing the other networks up; £69 for a Note II on £36/month with unlimited data. Given they're investing heavily in DC-HSPA+, they're probably the best bet right now.

EE's lower tariffs are a joke, but the 3GB, 5GB and 8GB ones seem okay though. Not outstanding, but everything considered they're pretty competitive against most other networks. Wasn't a ~£5/month premium expected?

That's for a new contract though, if like me the deal I currently get at Vodafone is massively cheaper than what I could get anywhere else, what's the point in changing? Just upgrade every 2 years and keep your tariff as it is.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
That's for a new contract though, if like me the deal I currently get at Vodafone is massively cheaper than what I could get anywhere else, what's the point in changing? Just upgrade every 2 years and keep your tariff as it is.

Pretty much this.

Soldato
That's not exactly like-for-like comparison though, is it? I've been with Voda for years for the same reasons - upgrade deals and 20% EAP discount make them stupidly cheap. I'd like to move to Three for the unlimited data and because Voda don't cover my gf's house (or anywhere nearby). Problem is, even Three are prohibitively expensive by comparison (despite being cheaper than the other networks). New customer deals just don't stack up to upgrades. By 'new customer' standards, EE's plans aren't THAT bad (500MB and 1GB plans excepting).

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
That's not exactly like-for-like comparison though, is it? I've been with Voda for years for the same reasons - upgrade deals and 20% EAP discount make them stupidly cheap. I'd like to move to Three for the unlimited data and because Voda don't cover my gf's house (or anywhere nearby). Problem is, even Three are prohibitively expensive by comparison (despite being cheaper than the other networks). New customer deals just don't stack up to upgrades. By 'new customer' standards, EE's plans aren't THAT bad (500MB and 1GB plans excepting).

Let's look at the Note II in your example, so we can have a like for like.

EE

£41 Unltd / Text & Calls 1GB Data + £139 Handset - Total £1123
£46 Unltd / Text & Calls 2GB Data + £89.99 Handset -Total £1193.99

Vodafone

£47 Unltd / Text & Calls 2GB Data + Free Handset - Total £1128
£42 Unltd / Text & Calls 2GB Data + £49 Handset - Total £1057

At this point in time, EE haven't released any pricing on the Lumia 920

I was looking to move to EE due to the Lumia 920, but after seeing these prices they have released it doesn't make any financal sense for me to move.

Also the other thing, is the £5 extra per month so you can use your minutes and texts within Europe. Vodafone's Passport is a lot less, So that's another reason not to move for me.

Associate
Worst launch of a product in history. Nokia- sort your PR/Marketing team out sharpish

There's been over a month between the 920 PR event and actually finding out when it can be purchased and at what price. That's just totally unacceptable these days.

Many of the mainstream news sites ran the story on Sept 5th and it's now near the end of October, you need to strike while the iron is hot.

I would imagine that it's mostly gadget heads and the more "geeky" sort of people who are waiting for this phone. It's hardly the sort of product launch you need to take on the iPhone and Android.

I see Nokia sold bonds to raise 750 million Euros today. Hopefully they will invest that in some business training or a fact finding mission so they realise why their product isn't selling. I suspect their slow acting slothful pace doesn't help. I'm sure it's lovely and relaxed, scenic even in Finland, but that doesn't help you sell phones :)

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
There's been over a month between the 920 PR event and actually finding out when it can be purchased and at what price. That's just totally unacceptable these days.

Many of the mainstream news sites ran the story on Sept 5th and it's now near the end of October, you need to strike while the iron is hot.

I would imagine that it's mostly gadget heads and the more "geeky" sort of people who are waiting for this phone. It's hardly the sort of product launch you need to take on the iPhone and Android.

I see Nokia sold bonds to raise 750 million Euros today. Hopefully they will invest that in some business training or a fact finding mission so they realise why their product isn't selling. I suspect their slow acting slothful pace doesn't help. I'm sure it's lovely and relaxed, scenic even in Finland, but that doesn't help you sell phones :)

Nokia are still waiting on MS to official announce Windows Phone 8, so Nokia can't be blamed for the delay. HTC are also in the in the same boat.

However, that said other than Apple most phone makers announce the phone and then 6 around months later it arrives.

Izi

Izi

Soldato
[RXP]Andy;23019234 said:
Nokia are still waiting on MS to official announce Windows Phone 8, so Nokia can't be blamed for the delay. HTC are also in the in the same boat.

However, that said other than Apple most phone makers announce the phone and then 6 around months later it arrives.

Doesnt matter, they can still let everyone know prices, availability and so on.

Soldato
[RXP]Andy;23019234 said:

HTC have sim free prices (not rrp) but I now how much I need to pay, and I guess its MS fault but its not like the 900 was quick to market either. Nokia are also going about things wrong, they just released the 510, which is basically a 610 with a slightly bigger screen (Not sure how big the 610 was), whats the point, they could just make the 710 a little cheaper sim free, stick 7.8 on it when it is released and sell that. The 510 has 256mb ram which is a problem with wp as apps dont work, no multi-tasking and it just leaves people with the same bad experience the crappy android phones do.

Also the people who tend to take 6 months always flop e.g. Sony Xperia S, LG 4x.... Others on the other hand don't do as bad, its not Apple but there improving I guess, namely Samsung.

kbc

kbc

Associate
Still no definite release date... zzz...

I'm not too fussed with the EE tariff prices, I'm with Vodafone SIM only deal, paying about £20 per month. I'm not going to sign up for 4G with EE just for their Lumia 920, 3G is pretty useless in London - so it doesn't even justify those tariff prices, for me anyway.

Soldato
I just remember a time were Nokia had awesome hardware at every price point, these phones are some what of a :S since it doesnt run things like Skype and angry birds.

Really?, you dont know much about this then if you think it cant run Angry Birds.
Do you think the phones that are centred for the emerging market give a flying F about having games on their Phones?

Man of Honour
Really?, you dont know much about this then if you think it cant run Angry Birds.
Do you think the phones that are centred for the emerging market give a flying F about having games on their Phones?

More importantly did he think Nokias old budget models could run everything?

Associate
Same with my Lumia 800, I'm getting tired of typing on such tiny virtual keys.

The Lumia 510 is a mistake, they should carry on making and supporting the 800, the software is stable and mature.

Soldato
FOR GODS SAKE!!!
When is this getting released???

Im bored of my 4S :(

You're bored? I sold my iPhone and am currently using a p.o.s. LG £20 phone, it's so old-school it reminds me of the 3210 and 3310. I can't wait for MS to announce their WP8 OS officially so that I can get my upgrade, whether it's a 920 I will have to wait and see. I'm hoping the exclusivity thing doesn't happen or that MS announce some even more awesome phones on the 29th!

Back
Top Bottom