***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
You've heard wrong then, the majority of us who use the Zune client love it and there has been an outcry from people now we know it will cease to be with WP8.

+1 to this. I don't even have my Lumia any more but I'm still using Zune and it was the first thing to make me move from MediaMonkey

Soldato
I bet it was Elop's idea to use fake videos and pictures, he just cannot get it right that guy. He is single-handedly wrecking a once great company.

Really like the design of the devices though but once again no MicroSD card capabilities makes it a no-go for me.

I bet he had little or no clue.

Soldato
[RXP]Andy;22717442 said:
erm, what's this then?

Only thing thats going to undo this right now, is film it again and this time lets see the footage from the guy riding the bike that was meant to be filming her.

End of, nothing else will do now.

Soldato
i am enjoying getting into the lumia 800 i got a few days ago very slick os , so if windows 8 is better then i am all for it , Apps wise there seems to be most of the big hitter there.
got viber whats app etc no problem at all

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Only thing thats going to undo this right now, is film it again and this time lets see the footage from the guy riding the bike that was meant to be filming her.

End of, nothing else will do now.

That maybe true, and whist I agree.

I do believe that some people have going completely OTT with but that's to be expected I guess on the internet. The video, yes it can be seen as misleading but its is a technology demo and no where is its stated that its taken with the Nokia 920. Nokia are a technology partner with Carl Zeiss, who probably have a demo rig / lens to showcase the OIS tech.

However, all of the above has not put my off the device as I covers all the area very nicely that I am after. The only question I have is what DAC is in the handset?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
i am enjoying getting into the lumia 800 i got a few days ago very slick os , so if windows 8 is better then i am all for it , Apps wise there seems to be most of the big hitter there.
got viber whats app etc no problem at all

It's a very good little handset, which a bit different from most of the other handsets on the market. WP7.5 is a very fluid OS and works really well, its main short comings where the Windows CE Kernel which puts a hardware limitation on the hardware and the Windows Store. The hardware area of Windows Phone has massively improved since moving to the Windows NT kernel and the Windows Store is making steady process, with over 100K applications now.

What I do find interesting is the applications on the WP platform, they theme very nicely with the OS. One example I can think of is a application called Cocktail Flow, if you look at this on all 3 formats, visually its noticeably better on WP compared to iOS and Android.

Soldato
[RXP]Andy;22717696 said:
It's a very good little handset, which a bit different from most of the other handsets on the market. WP7.5 is a very fluid OS and works really well, its main short comings where the Windows CE Kernel which puts a hardware limitation on the hardware and the Windows Store. The hardware area of Windows Phone has massively improved since moving to the Windows NT kernel and the Windows Store is making steady process, with over 100K applications now.

What I do find interesting is the applications on the WP platform, they theme very nicely with the OS. One example I can think of is a application called Cocktail Flow, if you look at this on all 3 formats, visually its noticeably better on WP compared to iOS and Android.

Yeah i noticed that the apps seem to theme to the phone amazinly well , going to look for cocktail flow now lol

Man of Honour
That's thanks to metro deisgn guidelines which are enforced, to get the apps created for the market.
It's great, apple is to closed and android is far to open. Windows has a nice balance. Multiple hardware, but thought out so stuff works and roll out updates from Microsoft not couriers.

Soldato
[RXP]Andy;22717654 said:
That maybe true, and whist I agree.

I do believe that some people have going completely OTT with but that's to be expected I guess on the internet. The video, yes it can be seen as misleading but its is a technology demo and no where is its stated that its taken with the Nokia 920. Nokia are a technology partner with Carl Zeiss, who probably have a demo rig / lens to showcase the OIS tech.

However, all of the above has not put my off the device as I covers all the area very nicely that I am after. The only question I have is what DAC is in the handset?

No, they deliberately deceived, during the presentation you where shown another video of them filming the other guy on the bike, filming the girl, directly showing HIM using the camera, deliberately showing how it was filmed using the 920.
They got caught, end of.

Like I said, the camera/ video will have to be exceptional now, as this has been mentioned in the news in the US etc and made it to the BBC news I believe.

Soldato
AFAIK they also use a "pre-focus light" which is why all these night shots are unnatural light, to the point that it seems like its not so dark outside, it leads to great photos but it also looks so weird.

All phones use the flash as a auto-focus assist lamp but most don't come on when the flash is turned off. :D
The 920 was using a really long shutter speed with HDR or some other ott post processing. It was a very controlled test and one that you'll probably never encounter.

We need Nokia to put full res, real world examples on Flickr/blogs for everyone to see. Actually, were are they? They usually chuck them on asap.

Soldato
All phones use the flash as a auto-focus assist lamp but most don't come on when the flash is turned off. :D
The 920 was using a really long shutter speed with HDR or some other ott post processing. It was a very controlled test and one that you'll probably never encounter.

We need Nokia to put full res, real world examples on Flickr/blogs for everyone to see. Actually, were are they? They usually chuck them on asap.

I really dont know, I think the camera will be great, but Nokia just doesnt have any confidence at all in their product, I have no idea what massage sends to poeple.

Soldato
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/new-nokia-luna-bluetooth-headsets-now-with-wireless-charging/

Matching wireless charging bluetooth headsets anyone? Also note lack of grey colour and inclusion of cyan.

Edit - Also one of the comments below the article regarding lack of price and release information:

Found out why there wasn't a release date or prices for the 920 or 820 yesterday. Microsoft is seriously behind where they should be with the WP 8 OS release. Nokia has hardware ready, as we saw, but because of their CEO's MS only decision, they are stuck with no OS to put in them.

Microsoft hasn't released the WP 8 SDK (software developers kit) yet. They normally do this (WP 6 and WP 7) 3 months or so before the actual release of the OS version (other OS developers do that too, Apple's SDK for iOS 6 for new iPhone has been out since June if memory serves) so that developers can make update their applications to work with the new OS version. Not having it released at this point indicates the OS is not close to being ready to go.

Bummer for Nokia, they were probably counting on selling these for this Christmas quarter and will only get to sell a fraction of what the probably hoped for (hopefully the hardware isn't filling up warehouses). It would have been better if Nokia had not announced this stuff till they were closer to delivery as they have killed a lot of potential sales of the WP 7 phones they can sell (who wants a WP 7 that can't upgrade to WP 8 after seeing the show yesterday).

I hope theres no truth to this.

Last edited:
Associate
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/new-nokia-luna-bluetooth-headsets-now-with-wireless-charging/

Matching wireless charging bluetooth headsets anyone? Also note lack of grey colour and inclusion of cyan.

Edit - Also one of the comments below the article regarding lack of price and release information:

I hope theres no truth to this.

I could be wrong, but I believe they have been releasing the SDK to certain developers and it's just the public open to everyone/final version which won't be released until later. So my interpretation is that people who make the popular and/or important apps will already have access to the SDK.

Plus you can develop applications on 7.5 SDK as they will run on 8. Although I guess you'll need to wait for the 8 SDK still if you want to do something with the new toys :p

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Another hands on video:

A film about the best display: Nokia PureMotion

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
I love the phone, like the cam but my only gripe is with the uptake of new apps for WP8. Not much point having a phone this capable without software to back it up.

It already has most of the key applications on the platform, the only main admissions being Sky Go (but that's a bit bitty on Android as well) and iPlayer. However, they will arrive over time. There are over 100,000 Windows Phone applications at the moment and that's only set to grow in the coming months etc...

Caporegime

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
Or they haven't actually announced the release date and price because they are waiting to see what Apple release...

Or Microsoft don't want to give anything away in WP8, like they did in WP7 and then the likes of Google and Apple where able to second guess them. :)

Back
Top Bottom