***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Soldato
Seeing the comments about Zune, I have just googled and found there is no FLAC support - is there a way around this, maybe another player as I have a massive collection, but all in FLAC...

Caporegime
[RXP]Andy;22720338 said:
Or Microsoft don't want to give anything away in WP8, like they did in WP7 and then the likes of Google and Apple where able to second guess them. :)

And that, have MS officially confirmed when the OS will release yet?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
OP
MS have the BUILD 2012 conference planned for Oct 30th - Nov 2nd, I really hope they announce all the WP8 features before that though!

That will be for Server 2012 / W8, as far as I know.

I am expecting something in the next few weeks with dates.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well WP is supposed go be launched at the end of October so it has always been assumed we're looking at first week of November for phone releases.

Soldato
[RXP]Andy;22720137 said:
A film about the best display: Nokia PureMotion

Very nice! ...err hold on. They're only quoting grey to grey pixel transition time? (any info on refresh rate?)

sAMOLED = 0.01-0.2ms
One X (AH-IPS) = ~8ms
Lumia 920 = <9ms

Can't see anything special here? May as well look at the rest.

Reflectivity/outdoor performance:

Performance looks almost identical to the Lumia 900 in the whitepaper. Probably 400-600nits brightness with the standard ClearBlack polarising layers.
Note: ClearBlack is still the best, although the 'super' in sAMOLED comes close and the rest are catching up (HTC sLCD2 in particular, LG/Moto still cost cut when not using branded panels like sAMOLED)

Touch screen:

Synaptics ClearPad Series 3 controller with high sensitivity. Same as the HTC One series but with a more sensative touch panel layer(?)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6166/synaptics-talks-incell-touch-the-value-of-a-good-touch-controller
Exellent but most are moving away from discrete layers for thinner in-cell solutions.

Conclusion:

Very, very similar to the HTC One X screen but slightly better overall due to the ClearBlack. (probably comes from the same factory :p)
Certainly one of the best (if not the best) screens around ...but the PureMotion branding is trash, Nokia's marketing dept is having a mare :D

Associate
Such a Pity MS can't beat Apple this year on a release date. If they had been able to release a little before the new iphone they may have gotten a few more people to try out WP8, but the iPhone 5 will have been out for at least a few weeks by the time the Nokia and other manufacturers hit the stores will be tough to get much traction in the face of the apple onslaught.

Associate
Well WP is supposed go be launched at the end of October so it has always been assumed we're looking at first week of November for phone releases.

Before the update the rumour mill was suggesting mid to late November which would be ludicrous imo :p

Soldato
official w8 release is 26th of october, and wp8 29th of October. So first week of November would tie in nicely.

You beat me to it. Glad it is 1st week of Nov, gives me another 2 paydays to save for the sim free version.
Now all we have to do is see what HTC bring to the table. I like the screen size of the ATIV and the SD support, but not the styling and I like the Nokia styling, just wish it had SD and a 4.8 screen. I also like the suite of Nokia apps and their integration, which probably means I will end up with a 920.

Just goes to show, a week ago I would have laughed at WP8, now after installing W8 on all my machines at home, I can see the benefit of WP8, especially as I plan to get a surface..

Soldato
[RXP]Andy;22720338 said:
Or Microsoft don't want to give anything away in WP8, like they did in WP7 and then the likes of Google and Apple where able to second guess them. :)

Yeah, but you want to get the SDK out a reasonable time before the OS is released so you have showcase apps when the phones hardware comes out. Otherwise you're going to launch with no apps (except the WP7 stuff) because the developers didn't have time to make them.

Soldato
I think ill pick up a Lumia 710 since my battered 3GS is driving me insane with its constantly freezing touchscreen, then come January ill be upgrading to a 920 provided windows phone is as nice to use as it looks. All the Apps I frequently use are already in place and ones that aren't there have very decent looking alternatives.

Still have fond memories of my Nokia 6500 classic, by far the best dumbphone I ever owned.

I only hope that Vodafone dont fill it with useless bloatware "apps" like they did my old HTC Sensation, from my understanding Windows Phone displays everything on the homescreen like iOS? I didnt mind that on the HTC as they were hidden away so to speak, and I could always root it to remove them but im assuming WP doesnt allow this.

Last edited:
Soldato
The stipulation from Windows is that the only Bloatware that can be added is Via the form of pre-installed apps, that you can fully uninstall like any other App.

Soldato
The stipulation from Windows is that the only Bloatware that can be added is Via the form of pre-installed apps, that you can fully uninstall like any other App.

Thats good to know, on android all I could do was remove the updates which it then kept prompting me to update again, over mobile data I might add as for some reason it wouldnt let you update via a WiFi connection!

Associate
Nokia have invited the verge to go and take some REAL tests of the pureview camera.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/7/3299784/nokia-lumia-920-pureview-camera-hi-res-photos

composite1-verge-1020.jpg

I have faith that the camera is up to the job, but Nokia's PR department isn't

Soldato
We really should be comparing night modes and the SGS3 isn't far off. (No high end Xperia? Sony usually have most resolved software engine, shame on the Verge! :D)
I want to see video! :)

night-mode-composite.jpg

Back
Top Bottom