***The Official Nokia Lumia 920 Thread***

Associate
[RXP]Andy;23080285 said:
Right I am going to find a way of unlocking this handset, if it is indeed locked.

I remember the word on the grape vine being the exclusivity was only til the end of the year so may get unlocked handsets popping up in January?

At this moment in time though if you want a WP8 phone now and don't want to be tied in to EE then you'll be needing to look at HTC and Samsung.

I wonder if there's exclusivity in the other EU countries? If so then importing one isn't going to work if they're all locked.

Not too bad of a deal there for those that really want this phone.

Phone is £450 sim free right - so £20 for the tariff for 12m

Yeah if people decide they're okay with a 3GB data allowance and the coverage they will get in their most visited areas, then it really isn't bad at all. Major hassle if you wanted one and wanted to stick with your current network though.

Man of Honour
oh well nexus 4 it is then. in any case, how could the 820 compete with the new nexus at 240 quid sim free :)

Storage.
No point having a phone you can't use for what you want. Even if it is so much cheaper.

It is annoying taht the commponets the nexus use and that for an extra ~£60 it could have decent storage and eleven a sd card.

Associate
People are complaining about the colour of the phone, and whether or not it is 100% for sale and available a few days after launch?

This aint Apple chaps, not being able to source a phone on the day of release is nothing new - We are just spoiled these days on keynotes and instant availability hype by Cupertino.

The Lumia battery news is nothing big. Review phones are more than likely to have buggy firmware. If anything my Lumia is the stalwart in my phone connection as I can get anything from 3-7 days standby on it, while my S3 is giving up the ghost after 24 hours and light use.

Associate
People are complaining about the colour of the phone, and whether or not it is 100% for sale and available a few days after launch?

I think it's more the fact that there hasn't been any real communication from Nokia or Phones4U over what is going on.

Found a demo unit in an EE store but the battery was dead so couldn't play with it :(

Associate
12 months @ £56 plus £19.99 handset equals £691.99, unlimited texts & minutes with a 3GB data allowance.

Overall not too bad if you're data usage will be below 3GB and if you get good coverage with EE in your area.

Don't forget £50 cash back from places like Quidco which brings the cost for the 3GB 12 month plan to around £16.7 per month.

Last edited:
Associate

We're complaining because it's not living up to the hype IF the information we have is correct, I'm not feeling generous on this matter as Nokia could have handled the whole situation far better.

Oh and I imagine anyone who doesn't want to join EE is also just a tad disappointed they can't get it in the UK.

This aint Apple chaps, not being able to source a phone on the day of release is nothing new - We are just spoiled these days on keynotes and instant availability hype by Cupertino.

Having some more patience wouldn't kill any of us but we're potentially talking a couple of months. No one is going to wait that long.

The Lumia battery news is nothing big. Review phones are more than likely to have buggy firmware. If anything my Lumia is the stalwart in my phone connection as I can get anything from 3-7 days standby on it, while my S3 is giving up the ghost after 24 hours and light use.

What Lumia are you using? I'm using a Lumia 800 and it loses something like 40% of the battery over night not being used. It's bloody awful.

Associate
About six months ago when they released the update that added tethering, magically took my phone from 1-2 days standby (at best) all the way up to 7 days, it was pretty amazing.

Unfortunately since that I updated again which took it back down to about 3 days standby, which was a bit of a shame, but in this day and age being able to forget about the battery running down within a day (or two at the very best) is something I've never seen from any of my android devices (and what put me off HTC phones).

(edit) just checked and the battery saver is reporting a day and 6 hours remaining, after already been on since the last charge for 1 day and 14 hours. That's with bluetooth turned on as well (permanently) but not wifi.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What Lumia are you using? I'm using a Lumia 800 and it loses something like 40% of the battery over night not being used. It's bloody awful.

Well you should have got it swapped then, there was a known issue and Nokia are very good and hassle free with sorting issues. Many people got there's exchanged, why didn't you?

Associate
Well you should have got it swapped then, there was a known issue and Nokia are very good and hassle free with sorting issues. Many people got there's exchanged, why didn't you?

You can read my posts in the Lumia 800 thread about this, as far as I'm aware every 800 will struggle to last over a day with light to no usage. Things improved very briefly after one update which got me optimistic but it's settled at its current crappy level.

Which was why I asked nucastle what Lumia he's using, if he's also on an 800 then clearly there's a fault with mine and as it's still under the 1 year warranty (by about a week!) I can get it replaced.

Caporegime
Will it be possible to buy a Lumia 920 off-contract?

Yes. Phones4U will sell the device without a SIM card for those who don’t require a contract. However, Phones4U will be selling what’s been described to us “an EE variant of the Lumia 920” that will only work with Orange, T-Mobile and EE SIM cards. As previously reported, this off-contract 920 will be sold by Phones4U for £459.95.

Can I buy the Lumia 920 from somewhere other than Phones4U or EE?

No. EE is the exclusive carrier and Phones4U the exclusive retailer for the device in the UK.

Will there be an end to this exclusivity arrangement?

Nokia says that it will review the current arrangements ‘later this quarter’.

If the Lumia 920 is exclusive to EE, does that mean I have to get a 4G tariff?

No. EE has confirmed to us that the 920 will also be offered through its 3G carrier brands, Orange and T-Mobile.

How much will the Lumia 920 cost on a 3G tariff?

Customers on Orange will be able to purchase the device for £49.99 upfront on the Panther Extra plan at £36 per month; T-Mobile customers can get one for £49.00 upfront on the £36pm Full Monty tariff. T-Mobile’s Full Monty tariff also include unlimited data. Other price plans are available on both carriers; upfront device charges may vary.

When will the Lumia 920 be available to buy?

You can order a Lumia 920 on contract from Phones4U right now, for delivery on 6 November. Orders are available via EE’s website right now, offering delivery within two business days. T-Mobile and Orange will begin offering the device on 9 November.

Nokia also confirmed to us that every Nokia Lumia 820 in the UK will indeed include a free Wireless Charging Shell, as previously reported.

Additionally, SIM-free Lumia 820s – which, unlike the 920, are fully unlocked and can be used on any operator – will be available from a variety of sources, including high street retailers Carphone Warehouse and Phones4U, and Expansys and Amazon on the web.

Carphone Warehouse briefly opened pre-orders for the Lumia 820 on its website this morning for £379.95, additionally offering a free wireless charging unit (although all 820s include the Wireless Charging Shell, the charger itself must be purchased separately), but the pre-order page has since been removed.

From Neowin - http://goo.gl/7K7AL

Nokia has revealed that its flagship Windows Phone 8 smartphone, the Nokia Lumia 920 will remain an EE exclusive until next year.

Speaking to The INQUIRER, Nokia said that the Lumia 920 will only be available to buy on EE'S 4G contracts, both via EE and Phones 4U, until "at least" next year. It added that this exclusivity might be prolonged even further, perhaps dependant on whether the mobile network manages to shift enough of the Windows Phone 8 handsets.

From The Inq - http://goo.gl/20qCz

mike-tyson-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-953.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
It added that this exclusivity might be prolonged even further, perhaps dependant on whether the mobile network manages to shift enough of the Windows Phone 8 handsets.

Nokia has gone full retard on us, and you should NEVER go full retard.

Man of Honour
I'm confused.

Surely it's in Nokia's best interests to ensure this phone is as easy to purchase, and as readily available as humanly possible? Exclusivity deals are extremely foolish given their current situation.

The already small amount of respect and patience that I have left for Nokia is quickly starting to fade.

Man of Honour
I'm confused.

Surely it's in Nokia's best interests to ensure this phone is as easy to purchase, and as readily available as humanly possible? Exclusivity deals are extremely foolish given their current situation.

The small amount of respect and patience that I have left for Nokia is quickly starting to fade.

As I have said before it all depends how many sales they think they would get in the wild, compared to how many sales they'll get with an exclusivity, which have to sale x-units.

It means that EE and Phones4U will push the phone to consumers. Something a lot of shops probably won't do with wp8, most will push android or iPhone.

Basically exclusivity is good, if they think they will struggle. Personally I think they've underestimated the market.

Back
Top Bottom