• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Man of Honour
Yer, £800 is a bit rich for my blood and knowing that a £500 GPU can do the same. The extra memory is sweet if you run 4K and multi cards but I don't and don't.

Ti is where I will be looking this time and a quiet card as I won't be water cooling or doubtful.

Totally agree with the above.

Use the right tool for the job.

Associate
You're in the same boat as me, sitting with a classy and the EVGA step up available. So, what happens if a 1080 drops next week with 8GB HBM and a 10% speed bump over the 980Ti.... And more importantly, a price tag of roughly £500.

How can we justify not stepping up?

I'll drink myself into denial... That's my plan for everything... It never works...

If such a scenario occurs I'll think long and hard! A regular 80 will be much harder to sell once a Ti hits as the latter places the former in such an awkward limbo position it might as well not exist (imo).

Soldato
I'll drink myself into denial... That's my plan for everything... It never works...

If such a scenario occurs I'll think long and hard! A regular 80 will be much harder to sell once a Ti hits as the latter places the former in such an awkward limbo position it might as well not exist (imo).

Surely the 80 would be worth more than the last gen ti?

Soldato
Don't believe any news from now until April 2nd.

First April 1st joke is out in record time
http://www.overclock3d.net/articles...ce_revolutionary_modular_motherboard_design/1

Modular Motherboard? Are they having a laugh?

TBH it is a very good concept. Want to upgrade to a newer cpu on a newer socket? just replace the socket and power part of the board. etc. suddenly the I/O gets an upgrade with better Sata, M.2 etc? replace the i/o board.

The only thing that it comes down to is how the components all mesh. Although the overall cost would be cheaper for a single motherboard, but in the long run it could be cheaper for a modular setup.

Soldato
TBH it is a very good concept. Want to upgrade to a newer cpu on a newer socket? just replace the socket and power part of the board. etc. suddenly the I/O gets an upgrade with better Sata, M.2 etc? replace the i/o board.

The only thing that it comes down to is how the components all mesh. Although the overall cost would be cheaper for a single motherboard, but in the long run it could be cheaper for a modular setup.

Amazing idea. Too bad it's a April fools joke :(

Caporegime
Think I've jinxed myself, sitting playing division screen froze and went black, restarted and now I've got some nice blocks on my desktop and it's locking up. Memory on the card has gone I think.

Associate
Someone in chat on Stardock's Ashes launch stream was spouting nonsense about the Surface 5 Pro (due in Q4) having Pascal and 4GB of HBM, then asking if it would be able to run Ashes.

The dev's reply was interesting.

He basically said Pascal wouldn't be power efficient enough to be in a Surface product. He said Polaris could be efficient enough, but doubted that it'd be included in a Surface product and thought it would have integrated graphics.

Evidently he has some knowledge of Pascal's architecture that hasn't been made public. He doesn't seem to think it compares well to Polaris in efficiency.

Soldato
http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/21...80-ersatts-av-pascal-med-gddr5x-till-computex

Google translator seemed not worked for me so I manually translated it below:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 and GTX 980 are replaced by Pascal with GDDR5X to Computex

Just in time for Computex arrive a new generation of graphics cards from Nvidia with the architecture Pascal and memory technology GDDR5X. First is the replacement for the Geforce GTX 970 and GTX 980.

A new generation of GPUs from AMD and Nvidia is imminent. For the latter it is about architecture Pascal, the successor to today's Maxwell, to be manufactured on a 16 nanometer technology from TSMC. Both points are expected to lead to both higher performance, better energy efficiency.

Previously vBulletin been able to uncover that Nvidia is aiming for a launch of Pascal for laptops at Computex 2016, which takes place May 31 Now appears that the plans would in any case stationary, however, neither the highest or lower performance segment which many first predicted.

According to data for vBulletin Launches Nvidia primarily direct replacement for the Geforce GTX 970 and GTX 980. A source also claims that the first wave should include a replacement for the GTX 980 Ti, however, the performance in terms similar to the GTX Titan X will remain available a foreseeable future.

Another detail is that the graphics cards use memory standard GDDR5X, a further development of GDDR5. The first generation will clear rates of 10 and 12 Gbps, from 7 Gbps used in GTX 970 and GTX 980. Together with a 256-bit memory bus, this would provide bandwidth 320 and 384 Gb/s, in line with the GeForce GTX 980 Ti and AMD's Radeon R9 390X.

Nvidia is aiming at Computex could be interpreted as their partner gets free reign to demonstrate self-designed solutions in place. Whether that happens remains a mystery, as several partner manufacturers have not yet received any chips by Nvidia or even had access to the full specifications. It could mean that graphics cards will initially only with Nvidia's reference design.

Uncertainties about the naming

In previous leaks have been coming graphics cards appeared as the Geforce GTX and 1070 GTX 1080, which is in line with Nvidia's current naming scheme. Rumors suggest that the company abandon the GTX prefix and instead combine the Roman numeral X (10) with the Arabic that are standard today - such as Geforce X80.

Man of Honour
Mid range Pascal does not interest me but when is the Ti version due to be released?

Am I right to assume next year?

We have absolutely nothing to go on but I would be extremely surprised if they didn't release high end Pascal by the end of the year. Although I suppose it could be possible given the 9 month gap between 980 and 980Ti.

Would be bad to have to wait that long.

Associate
Don't believe any news from now until April 2nd.

First April 1st joke is out in record time
http://www.overclock3d.net/articles...ce_revolutionary_modular_motherboard_design/1

Modular Motherboard? Are they having a laugh?

Having a laugh that it's an April Fools joke. Honestly... it's not such a bad idea. Plus it's kinda already been shown at shows as prototypes and such, I can't remember which company the modulr mobo was by though and at what event. A shame it ain't real. Or are they double-bluffing and actually releasing this thing? Amazon's joke from a previous year being an actual thing has changed the meta for April Fools.

Next monday GTC starts, but I don't expect Nvidia to show anything too interesting right away. I know they want to ride the hype, so they'll keep the interesting Pascal stuff for the last day. I bet my car that they announce a partnership with a VR headset maker.

Back
Top Bottom