• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
People have short memories, if you want to get a rough idea what to expect in performance between the 980ti to pascal mid range (say 1080) to pascal full fat (say 1080ti) then go back and look at the performance of 580 vs 680 and 780.

That was the last time we had a new range launch with a die shrink.

The 680 was ~30% faster than the 580.

The 780 was ~80% faster than the 580.

780 was just over double the transistor count of 580.

Rumoured full fat pascal is just over double the transistor count of 980ti.

I can make easy 970 from 783 on gpu clock with my gtx 580. I would say , 680 is faster by 15 or maximum 20%. Compare to OC to default.
To be honest this baby can do 1 ghz.

Last edited:
Soldato
I will be doing the same. I have had to limit my budget to around £500 ish as well. No more £800 GPUs for me for the next 5 years :(

Same, I bought the Titan X and was massively disappointed when I saw that the 980 Ti with a slightly higher clock could beat it, Was a lot quieter, A lot cooler and a lot cheaper.

As I love ROG my limit will probably be around the 600 notes mark for the Matrix Platinum but never again am I spending stupid money, £800, On 1 GPU, I can afford it but it's just the principle of the matter.

Associate
Titans aren't in my budget, and with Ti versions they don't need to be, like dice said, disappointing them titans. I'll jump from Ti to Ti to lower the costs a bit. Also not immediately jumping onto a new node might be right for me, allowing it to mature a bit first. I have no regrets getting a classy last week.

Caporegime
Same, I bought the Titan X and was massively disappointed when I saw that the 980 Ti with a slightly higher clock could beat it, Was a lot quieter, A lot cooler and a lot cheaper.

As I love ROG my limit will probably be around the 600 notes mark for the Matrix Platinum but never again am I spending stupid money, £800, On 1 GPU, I can afford it but it's just the principle of the matter.

Titans aren't in my budget, and with Ti versions they don't need to be, like dice said, disappointing them titans. I'll jump from Ti to Ti to lower the costs a bit. Also not immediately jumping onto a new node might be right for me, allowing it to mature a bit first. I have no regrets getting a classy last week.

Yer, £800 is a bit rich for my blood and knowing that a £500 GPU can do the same. The extra memory is sweet if you run 4K and multi cards but I don't and don't.

Ti is where I will be looking this time and a quiet card as I won't be water cooling or doubtful.

Soldato

You're in the same boat as me, sitting with a classy and the EVGA step up available. So, what happens if a 1080 drops next week with 8GB HBM and a 10% speed bump over the 980Ti.... And more importantly, a price tag of roughly £500.

How can we justify not stepping up?

Associate
I had said my new 980 Ti would last me years. Now my friend has bought an Acer X34 and is interested in my card for SLI should I upgrade to the next high-end. The temptation will be huge, let's hope Nvidia price me out of such a move. :D

Soldato
I'm hoping the new cards are reassuringly expensive. I've recently added a second 980Ti to power my X34 (which is really needed!)

I did manage to bag them for about £485 each (one new, one used), so at least I got them both for an 'ok price' in my book. See, I'm starting to justify things already! Let the self delusion commence!...

Back
Top Bottom