• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
If I'll have gotten 5 years of upgrades from a single purchase then I don't see that as bad value.
My use case 3 years ago was drastically different to what it is now so I'm changing cards to fit what I want to run now as opposed to what I was running then, I still get the best possible performance but without it now costing me anything more (actually with a few hundred quid back in the kitty)

Caporegime
If I'll have gotten 5 years of upgrades from a single purchase then I don't see that as bad value.
My use case 3 years ago was drastically different to what it is now so I'm changing cards to fit what I want to run now as opposed to what I was running then, I still get the best possible performance but without it now costing me anything more (actually with a few hundred quid back in the kitty)

How much were your Titans ?

Soldato
^ lost the plot following this

If you had 2 x 980Ti why would you be thinking of selling them both to fund x1 new 'mid range' pascal card? SLI 980Ti will blow away anything that's coming out in the next few months, whenever it is.

Soldato

If, and maybe this isn't right, - if you had 2 x 980Ti why would you be thinking of selling them both to fund x1 new 'mid range' pascal card? SLI 980Ti will blow away anything that's coming out in the next few months, whenever it is.

Its a stepping stone, I will still get a 1080ti, but I end up with a 1080ti and money back in pocket. This assumes that a 1080 is decently faster than a 980ti, otherwise I stick with the one 980ti I'm back down to now... I wasn't getting any use out of SLI in the games I happen to play

I've typically done quite well out of selling cards and then waiting a week for a new one instead of hanging on till they are worth next to nothing

Even after the new ones are announced you can still flog old cards to silly people on auction sites

Last edited:
Soldato
This seems a bit 50/50 on this latest rumour? Would Nvidia really call it 1080? Hopefully in 6 days we'll know the truth if they did?

I hope they didn't.

Only decent performance at 1080p for pascal confirmed! Nvidia 1080P :p

I reckon they will use a different naming scheme, they missed the thousands the last time around. And they will more than likely not call it X80, since GTX X80Ti just sounds stupid. And they have already forgone the whole point of the G, GT and GTX naming scheme when they started calling everything GTX and slapping Ti on the high end parts instead of the specials like before.

Soldato

If you had 2 x 980Ti why would you be thinking of selling them both to fund x1 new 'mid range' pascal card? SLI 980Ti will blow away anything that's coming out in the next few months, whenever it is.

Not sure what you're struggling with as it makes perfect sense the way I read it.

If he intends to go back to one card because of SLI issues or whatever, then his choice of either swapping his remaining single 980ti for a (potentially) faster single 1080 until the 1080ti is released seems fine.

For those of us who perhaps don't always need to have the current top card then sticking with a single 980ti until the 1080ti comes will probably suffice, but if I had the spare cash and desire to do so then I'd have no issues selling my 980ti and buying a 1080 if it's a reasonable performance upgrade. As it is I'm happy to wait.

Actually thinking about it depending on used 980ti prices and the performance of a 1080 I actually might be tempted myself, but it would have to make sense both financially and from a performance standpoint, if the 1080 is competitively priced and 980ti values hold well I may even jump.

Last edited:
Caporegime
For those of us who perhaps don't always need to have the current top card then sticking with a single 980ti until the 1080ti comes will probably suffice, but if I had the spare cash and desire to do so then I'd have no issues selling my 980ti and buying a 1080 if it's a reasonable performance upgrade. As it is I'm happy to wait.

wait for what?

Soldato
All this talk about being prudent and spending money wisely when "upgrading", who's kidding who here? :)

I gave up any notion of being prudent when I bought 2 980s complete with EK blocks... Then punted them to buy a 980Ti cos sli support is pish.

It's an expensive hobby, and if you're not prepared to lose a few quid then get onto eBay and pick up a couple of 670s to tide you over the next couple of years. :cool:

Soldato
Agree stringo. Also, Whilst I find these new card threads that crop up every few years interesting, I do struggle with the ferver and self delusion that always happens. I know this is an 'enthusiast' forum, but they are just new graphics cards that we don't know anything about yet, that aren't out yet.

I know it's fun to speculate but I just keep seeing walls of text and regurgitated ******** that I can't be bothered to read anymore.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
All this talk about being prudent and spending money wisely when "upgrading", who's kidding who here? :)

I gave up any notion of being prudent when I bought 2 980s complete with EK blocks... Then punted them to buy a 980Ti cos sli support is pish.

It's an expensive hobby, and if you're not prepared to lose a few quid then get onto eBay and pick up a couple of 670s to tide you over the next couple of years. :cool:

The best way of being prudent is also the one that sounds the craziest.

Buy a couple of flagship cards on launch day (after you have checked the reviews) and hang onto them for several years.

For example if someone had bought a couple of Titan Xs on launch day over a year ago they can skip all the new mid range Pascal/Polaris cards with their 8gb frame buffers and look to upgrade again next year when the big Pascal/Polaris cards arrive. Doing this means you have to pay a lot upfront but you save by having less upgrades.

If you are into watercooling doing the above also means you only have to get one set of blocks instead of 2 or more.

Agree stringo. Also, Whilst I find these new card threads that crop up every few years interesting, I do struggle with the ferver and self delusion that always happens. I know this is an 'enthusiast' forum, but they are just new graphics cards that we don't know anything about yet, that aren't out yet.

I know it's fun to speculate but I just keep seeing walls of text and regurgitated ******** that I can't be bothered to read anymore.

That's about the size of it, I think along similar lines.

Caporegime
For example if someone had bought a couple of Titan Xs on launch day over a year ago they can skip all the new mid range Pascal/Polaris cards with their 8gb frame buffers and look to upgrade again next year when the big Pascal/Polaris cards arrive. Doing this means you have to pay a lot upfront but you save by having less upgrades.

People fall into the trap though of wanting the tech even if its slower so they don't feel left out.

Soldato
People have short memories, if you want to get a rough idea what to expect in performance between the 980ti to pascal mid range (say 1080) to pascal full fat (say 1080ti) then go back and look at the performance of 580 vs 680 and 780.

That was the last time we had a new range launch with a die shrink.

The 680 was ~30% faster than the 580.

The 780 was ~80% faster than the 580.

780 was just over double the transistor count of 580.

Rumoured full fat pascal is just over double the transistor count of 980ti.

Man of Honour
People have short memories, if you want to get a rough idea what to expect in performance between the 980ti to pascal mid range (say 1080) to pascal full fat (say 1080ti) then go back and look at the performance of 580 vs 680 and 780.

That was the last time we had a new range launch with a die shrink.

The 680 was ~30% faster than the 580.

The 780 was ~80% faster than the 580.

780 was just over double the transistor count of 580.

Rumoured full fat pascal is just over double the transistor count of 980ti.

This time round mid range Pascal is going to be hindered by having the compute function put back in which will reduce gaming performance.

Back
Top Bottom