• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

You're comparing a 366mm2 chip (the 380/X)
with a 227mm2 chip (the 960)

Obviously as a consumer you are interested in price first and foremost, but from a business/profit point of view, that 960 is wiping the floor with the 380/X

First rule of the illogical Nvidia fan on any forum.

1. Never paint anything AMD in a positive light and when you don't have an argument just deflect the discussion to an area where Nvidia is teh aswum, even though it is irrelevant to the point being discussed.

people are discussing an architecture... where does the consumer sell price come in to that? consumer price is purely a function of demand, architectures should be compared on relevant metrics like perf/watt and die size

price drops are just an indication that something isn't selling, not that its a good product for the purpose

if someone was asking "what card should I buy" then that's all about the consumer price, but that wasn't the conversation

Last edited:
people are discussing an architecture... where does the consumer sell price come in to that? consumer price is purely a function of demand, architectures should be compared on relevant metrics like perf/watt and die size

price drops are just an indication that something isn't selling, not that its a good product for the purpose

But you weren't doing that were you? (that's a rhetorical question). You specifically mentioned Maxwell die size from a business standpoint, not an architectural standpoint. Nobody here is discussing the profit margins of Nvidia vs AMD.

Lets look at your closing (hence main) point again.
Obviously as a consumer you are interested in price first and foremost, but from a business/profit point of view, that 960 is wiping the floor with the 380/X

To expand slightly what you said here recently, this is overclockers graphics card forum. It's not a financial/stock forum.

Last edited:
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160408PD205.html

Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Friday 8 April 2016]

Nvidia is ready to announce its Maxwell-based Pascal graphics cards at Computex 2016 from May 31-June 4, with graphics card players including Asustek Computer, Gigabyte Technology and Micro-Star International (MSI) showcasing their reference board products, according to sources from graphics card players.

;)

But you weren't doing that were you? (that's a rhetorical question). You specifically mentioned Maxwell die size from a business standpoint, not an architectural standpoint. Nobody here is discussing the profit margins of Nvidia vs AMD.

Lets look at your closing (hence main) point again.

To expand slightly what you said here recently, this is overclockers graphics card forum. It's not a financial/stock forum.

Oh Jesus, I was comparing performance based on die size, how is that not architectural?
Maxwell is more efficient from a perf/mm basis, why is die size important? (Yes thats rhetorical too), smaller dies are cheaper to produce AND get better yields and use less power and produce less heat

Please tell me how any of that is not relevant to a conversation about architectural advantage? Its at the very core of why they make changes to the architecture

Last edited:
Oh Jesus, I was comparing performance based on die size, how is that not architectural?
Maxwell is more efficient from a perf/mm basis, why is die size important? (Yes thats rhetorical too), smaller dies are cheaper to produce AND get better yields and use less power and produce less heat

Please tell me how any of that is not relevant to a conversation about architectural advantage? Its at the very core of why they make changes to the architecture

If your going to start comparing architectures like that then don't compare 2014 architectures to 2015, AMD's 2015 Architecture is the same size and per per watt as Nvidia's.

If your going to start comparing architectures like that then don't compare 2014 architectures to 2015, AMD's 2015 Architecture is the same size and per per watt as Nvidia's.

I'm sorry, what? Don't compare a January 2015 Nvidia card to an "older" September 2015 AMD card?

I replied to someone who specifically mentioned the 380 and 390, so maybe have a word with them first

If you mean the FuryX, it needed both HBM power savings and a water cooler to get even close, and even then in most dx11 titles its still off the mark

Last edited:
I assume it means they have taken the existing Maxwell architecture and improved it. This is no different to what AMD are going to do with Polaris and GCN 4.

Hehe exactly that, nearly all GPU's are based off of the previous generations and every once in a while a company will decide to change things completely, like Terrascale to GCN.

I'm sorry, what? Don't compare a January 2015 Nvidia card to an "older" September 2015 AMD card?

I replied to someone who specifically mentioned the 380 and 390, so maybe have a word with them first

If you mean the FuryX, it needed both HBM power savings and a water cooler to get even close, and even then in most dx11 titles its still off the mark

The 390 is a 2013 architecture, you say that like you are clueless about that but we all know you aren't, you were one of the loudest voices of AMD criticism in here about renaming the 290 to 390. :rolleyes:

The power consumption of Fury-X is similar to a 980TI while where the CPU is not the bottleneck (like very high res) it more often than not surpasses the 980TI.

One of the two reference Fiji XT cores was given a water cooler as a premium feature, the other is a 150 Watt card with a small cooler and a single 100mm fan. you also know that but talk completely ignorant of it.

Arguing for the sake of having an argument. as with everything you write.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom