• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
Stop saying the 1% thing for 4K. First of all it's probably not even true, it's just something people say, and secondly even if it is top-end cards are not designed with conventional logic.

Associate
I'm in the following mindset and I want to know what other people think and if I'm right to expect this.

The 970 performs similarly to a 780ti.
The 780ti performs similarly to the Titan.
The 980ti performs similarly to double a 970/780ti.
The 980ti performs similarly to the Titan X.
So last gen x80ti to current gen x80ti roughly doubled in performance.
So here's the speculation and what I think will happen.

1070 would perform similarly to the 980ti at the 970 price point.
Pascal Titan would perform similarly to double a 980ti.
The 1080ti release later would perform similarly to the Pascal Titan.
The 1080ti would perform similarly to double a 980ti.
Thus the 1080ti would perform similarly to quadruple a 970/780ti.

Am I right for expecting this from Pascal? Considering this seems to be a trend, even when the 780ti and 980ti are on the same 28nm process, though the 980ti uses TSMC. What do people think?

Mobster
Soldato
Agreed.

I am hopeful that we will see Pascal running at least 60% faster than the current 980Ti/TX. Hopefully not that price though :D

A jump of 60% would be awesome. We know just how genius Nvidia are at optimising node's so that kind of jump at their first entry into a new node would be stonking imo.

bru

bru

Soldato
1% hehehehehehe

You have to love things like that.

You could say that we are all in a 1% bracket, because we are the enthusiasts who love to game and talk about the hardware enough to come online to a forum and post about it.

And don't forget that 87.343% of statistics are made up anyway. ;)

Soldato
I don't think we'll need all this power for a few years yet.

But anyone buying a top end card, will either be using 1440p 144hz, superwide 1440p or 4k 60hz probably, 1440p games will get better all the way to 144fps and 4k on a 980ti / titan x is far from ultra 60fps... A single card THREE times as powerful as a titan x would be perfect... It would run every game at max settings 4k 60fps with AA and a bit spare for new games coming out, In a few years there will be 4k 144hz so a card FIVE times as fast a titan X would still probably not run 4k 144hz.

Last edited:
Associate
1% hehehehehehe

You have to love things like that.

You could say that we are all in a 1% bracket, because we are the enthusiasts who love to game and talk about the hardware enough to come online to a forum and post about it.

And don't forget that 87.343% of statistics are made up anyway. ;)

Where did that number come from (87.343% of statistics )

Associate
I think 32GB will just be for workstation cards.

My guess the Titan Pascal card will feature 16GB HBM 2.0 and an even higher price tag than previous Titan's. Maybe £950/£1050 in the UK at launch.

16GB HBM 2.0 VS 12GB GDDR5 Titan X

-----------------------------------------------------

The GTX Pascal X80 / X80 Ti could have 8GB HBM 2.0.

8GB HBM 2.0 VS 4GB/6GB GDDR5

GTX X70 will have 4GB (with access to full 4GB) HBM 2.0.

4GB HBM 2.0 VS 3.5GB + 0.5GB GDDR5

GTX X60 will have 2GB/3GB HBM 2.0...

It would not surprise me if a 32GB card will just be for workstations I can not see any games needing that much by 2017 but you never no.

Caporegime
I'll not be buying the Titan branded pascal card. I love my TX but now that we know nVidia have no issue releasing the cutdown version that performs the same for gaming within 2 months I'll just wait it out.

Caporegime
I'll not be buying the Titan branded pascal card. I love my TX but now that we know nVidia have no issue releasing the cutdown version that performs the same for gaming within 2 months I'll just wait it out.

I am losing interest again and feel the same way. I genuinely hope I am done with the top end but who knows. I change my mind more than Boomstick changes GPUs :D

Soldato
OP

Amen to this.

I just hope I have the will power to resist, don't even game that much on PC these days. But I'm a sucker for new hardware and benchys :confused:

When it launches I'm hoping guys here will keep me on the straight and narrow and tell me not to buy it ! :D

I want to hold out for the GP200 Ti version, or maybe even something like the 970 replacement with HBM 2.0. That will likely be a great card as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Reasonable. But if they feel the market will react like this, they can counter that by making the cut down version perform worse, disabling more of the performance-enhancing aspects of the card. Basically going back to a Titan/780 situation again where a Titan had a clear performance advantage.

Either that, or they wait longer before releasing the x80Ti variant like they did with the 780Ti.

I suppose a lot depends on what AMD do. Covering them if possible will always take priority. I feel that's why they released the 980Ti so soon, making an aggressive move to preempt the Fury X launch. I'm sure they'd have liked to have waited another 4-6 months before launching it to pace things out better. After all, we're looking at a *long* wait before anything better will come out.

Back
Top Bottom