• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
Pascal will be 16nmFF+
But that's not due for mass production end of this year is it? I thought Tegra was first for mass production 16nmFF+ this year and Pascal mass production much later on in 2016. Have things changed or have I got it wrong?

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought that was for SoC's only. So Tegra not desktop cards.

But that's not due for mass production end of this year is it? I thought Tegra was first for mass production 16nmFF+ this year and Pascal mass production much later on in 2016. Have things changed or have I got it wrong?

Theres rumours of a Q1-Q2 Pascal release, which would mean production starting end of this year.

TSMC are in volume production on 16ff now and plan to be starting volume of ff+ in Q3/15

Tegra X1 is 20nm and they've not announced a replacement yet, Pascal they have actually announced.

Last edited:
Caporegime

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/212221-tsmc-quickly-ramping-up-16nm-volume-production

Previously, TSMC has said that its 16nmFF+ node won’t begin volume production until Q3, with wider availability expected in Q4 2015 or Q1 2016.
And it loos like TSMC will try to bring that back by a quarter or so.

But even the original timeline makes perfect sense for Pascal which is expected Q2. "Volume" production of 16mmFF+ should begin soon in theory,for smaller parts, wide availability volume production of big chip s by q1 next year looks incredibly likely.

It looks like the biggest bottle neck will be HBM and interposers. There's is 6 months or so for that production to get up to speed. For Hynix that should be enough but is tight for samsung.

Caporegime
I'm going to assume Pascal is going to be HBM.

Do we think Nvidia will use the same cooling setup on these cards that the Fury X uses?

I personally hope not.

No, they will be air cooled.
AMD went with AIO because their chip runs fairly hot (not entirely their fault, we are stuck on 28nm, but they lack the power efficiency of nvidia and the extra 2billion transistors pulls more power). Also to reduce power consumption they wanted to run the chip much cooler, higher temperatures creates electron leakage which increases power consumption and generates heat. The a furyX saves 20-30W by being water cooled.

They also wanted a really cool, quiet, silent card with no heat problems to hide the 290X hair drier fiasco. They got most of that right, and (their supplier) messed up with the pump whine.

With the next node chips will be smaller and cooler.

An AIO adds a lot of fixed costs and increases risks of failure. The FuryX costs a lot more to produce than a 980Ti so nvidia profit margins are going to be much higher. I don't think nvidia would go down an AIO path unless they had no choice.

Man of Honour
No, they will be air cooled.
AMD went with AIO because their chip runs fairly hot (not entirely their fault, we are stuck on 28nm, but they lack the power efficiency of nvidia and the extra 2billion transistors pulls more power). Also to reduce power consumption they wanted to run the chip much cooler, higher temperatures creates electron leakage which increases power consumption and generates heat. The a furyX saves 20-30W by being water cooled.

They also wanted a really cool, quiet, silent card with no heat problems to hide the 290X hair drier fiasco. They got most of that right, and (their supplier) messed up with the pump whine.

With the next node chips will be smaller and cooler.

An AIO adds a lot of fixed costs and increases risks of failure. The FuryX costs a lot more to produce than a 980Ti so nvidia profit margins are going to be much higher. I don't think nvidia would go down an AIO path unless they had no choice.

Yeah 2 aspects to that - none the least the 28nm<>16nm FF+ change but assuming the focus is on producing something viable for commercial compute use they won't want a design that relies on AIO cooling to perform so probably won't be a pre-requisite for a gaming card either.

Soldato
Yeah 2 aspects to that - none the least the 28nm<>16nm FF+ change but assuming the focus is on producing something viable for commercial compute use they won't want a design that relies on AIO cooling to perform so probably won't be a pre-requisite for a gaming card either.

The new GCN architecture is supposed to be twice as efficient at the same clocks. And that is before Finfets come into the equation from what has been rumoured.

All while having IPC improvements.

Caporegime
I perdict that TSMC will have problems as per usual, resulting in not seeing Pascal until Q4 2016/Q1 2017.

This is based on absolutely nothing at all, but I like being pessimistic :p (Realistic?)

bru

bru

Soldato
Announced end of March/April, with availability in April/June. This will all depend on the availability of the HBM2 and the interposers, ie: I don't think the main chip will be the thing that holds these up.
This will arrive as big Pascal first, probably in Quadro form, with a very expensive Titan style card very shortly after. next will come middle Pascal, which will be the mainstream chip ala 980, with the 980ti equivalent coming much latter in the year.

Disclaimer, this is all guesswork on my part. Hell what is the worse that can happen, I can be wrong. :)

Back
Top Bottom