• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintainance and upgrades.
  • Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
My guess is the full fat Titan Pascal will launch in Feb / March 2016, to fall in line with previous Titan launch times.

Leave it others to guess on the other cards, X60 X70 and X80 lol I have no idea.

Oh thats not too far away then. I'm hoping to get the X80/X80ti version of Pascal. Cannot allow myself to upgrade before May though, otherwise I will most certainly spend all day gaming and fail my Uni exams. :D

Soldato
My guess is the full fat Titan Pascal will launch in Feb / March 2016, to fall in line with previous Titan launch times.

Leave it others to guess on the other cards, X60 X70 and X80 lol I have no idea.

the only problem with that is that the 680 and 980 both launched before the titan's of their gen, so it depends whether they are going to try the smaller core first approach or launch with the big one

with the 680 > titan, the 680 launched the summer before which would mean no titan P until march 2017, so I'm not sure past release dates will be anything to go on

Soldato
the only problem with that is that the 680 and 980 both launched before the titan's of their gen, so it depends whether they are going to try the smaller core first approach or launch with the big one

with the 680 > titan, the 680 launched the summer before which would mean no titan P until march 2017, so I'm not sure past release dates will be anything to go on

The yields are nowhere good enough for a Titan in Feb. That's just dreaming with no understanding of what's going on with the semi biz atm.

It will be 600/900 series type lineup first.

Soldato
OP
The yields are nowhere good enough for a Titan in Feb. That's just dreaming with no understanding of what's going on with the semi biz atm.

Except the die shrink isn't ready for any cards this year, why would Nvidia change their routine. Past 3 years Titan's have launch in Feb / March.

If it's limited that makes even more sense as Titan will less in less numbers than a X70 or X80 would. So bringing that first makes sense.

My guess if Titan Pascal in Feb / March next year. No idea when the rest will come but the Titan is almost guaranteed to launch then.

We will see by March ;)

Soldato
You're not listening... they can't make it yet.

They will probably put out smaller dies instead but find some way to charge a hefty premium to recoup the extra finfet costs.

Caporegime

Except full fat Pascal is the only GPU tohave taped out.

It may not have every single core enabled at launch but the first cards will be big pascal, the 980 and 980Ti will lower in price, and some months later the 1080ti and 180s will appear. If the first big pascal desn't have all cores then a Titan will come 6 months or so afterwards.

Pascal will be reverse order of Maxwell.

Caporegime
I would be quite happy if they repeated the 6/7/9 series again. I had the 680s for a good spell before going to the Titans and then Titan Xs. I will be sticking single though for the foreseeable future.

Associate
So if we assume the Titan level card will be 16GB, could we see 12GB ti and 8GB X80?
Either way, want! Been trying hard not to upgrade my 780's to Maxwell.

Man of Honour
Except full fat Pascal is the only GPU tohave taped out.

It may not have every single core enabled at launch but the first cards will be big pascal, the 980 and 980Ti will lower in price, and some months later the 1080ti and 180s will appear. If the first big pascal desn't have all cores then a Titan will come 6 months or so afterwards.

Pascal will be reverse order of Maxwell.

Yup they have commercial compute obligations that they can't fulfil with the compute cut maxwell so focus will be bigger first though what comes down to the gaming cards is another matter performance wise.

However things haven't been rosy on the leakage side but not sure where that stands right now.

Last edited:
Soldato
The RUMOURED tapeout was nothing more than a forum post on B3D. The hype train ran away with it.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/nvidia-pascal-speculation-thread.55552/page-8#post-1848329

Here are the facts:

-no 14nm die over 200mm2 exists
-TSMC only just started volume production after umpteen delays and setbacks
-when Samsung started 14nm volume, no dies over 100mm2 were possible
-it takes months to test a GPU
-HBM2 availability very unlikely in Feb let alone months before when it would be needed for the first runs

The maths don't add up.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Why the talk of 14nm? HBM(2) could have some implications but that is another matter.

16nm FF+ product tapeout are ongoing with volume production still expected around the end of the year.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just trying to make people understand that volume production isn't like sitting at a traffic light and it turns green and you floor it.

By all accounts they're having all kinds of problems, so it's not realistic to expect a 500+mm2 gaming GPU in Feb. Also another thing I left out, we don't know allocation details. There's bigger players than NV that want those wafers.

Everything I'm saying is truth yet it's inconvenient so you're all trying to pick holes in it. Taking a break from this thread and will check back at a later date to see if people wised up.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Even thought the rumour is that big Pascal taped out first, I expect all of the new cards will availability will be limited to when HBM2 is available rather than when TSMC get their process right.
What of course this could mean is a decent amount of working dies available to new cards but limited availability of HBM2, possibly in a similar fashion to the FuryX cards in that it isn't the GPU die that is holding up production but one of the other components. ( rumour has it in this case it is the interposer.)

With more than one fab company making HBM2, this might not be an issue at all, we will have to wait and see.

Soldato
People also have to remember there is a 4th limitation in this production line. The interposer production and joining of the components.

So it also depends on the capacity of UMC if they are still the only company producing interposers and joining the components.

Back
Top Bottom