• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Caporegime
Why is everyone even debating this? I posted a link showing the prices of all the cards ocuk had in stock on the 26th Sept 2014! Cheapest was £420 and most were around £440

Associate
Why is everyone even debating this? I posted a link showing the prices of all the cards ocuk had in stock on the 26th Sept 2014! Cheapest was £420 and most were around £440

We get that, but currency does make a difference you know... ;)

Either way, it is nvidia, be prepared to spread your cheeks as wide as possible and don't forget use some ky. Lol

Associate
980 ti's can be bought for £500 new now, I suspect they'll tip below £400 once the newer cards are released.

Too expensive, needs to be around £300 or less for that amount of performance now that 14/16nm is finally here after such a long wait. Not to mention new architecture and new faster memory.

Caporegime
Dont expect massive price drops Nvidia have never been one for that:)

lol

What is wrong with people on this forum? Literally every previous release the old stock has been sold off at bargain basement prices.

480's and 580's for £200, 680's for £210, 780's for £250, 780Ti's for £300.

780Ti's were £300 weeks after the 970 and 980 came out, having been £500 a few weeks before that.

Soldato
You're right. They're not big on huge official price drops after new cards come out. When they produce a new line of cards, they simply stop making the old ones completely.

It is then up to the retailers to discount the old cards heavily to put them in a respectable performance/cost value position so they can get sold off. While supplies last and all. Sometimes you'll see retailers procure a batch of old cards from some warehouse or other retailer for super cheap that they think they can get rid of for a bit of a profit, but these aren't newly made cards, just ones that have been lying around before.

So yea, in the end, whether the price drops are official or not, they do happen. There is no point in Nvidia 'officially' dropping the prices of cards they dont make anymore. They let the retailers handle that situation, which is the only sensible way to go about it. The end result is still the same though - massive price drops.

Soldato

lol

What is wrong with people on this forum? Literally every previous release the old stock has been sold off at bargain basement prices.

780Ti's were £300 weeks after the 970 and 980 came out, having been £500 a few weeks before that.

It really depends on what stock is left in the channel when the new cards launch. If as has been rumored Nvidia has ceased production of Maxwell based GPUs, then the channel supply will start to dry up. There will be deals, but there may not be many cards left in stock at that point. If there are a lot of cards in stock then the deals will probably be better deals.

Caporegime
lol

True that. I have been around long enough and seen some great bargains of old GPUs whilst the new cards are launched. I can't remember a time there wasn't a good deal to be had but that's not to say it hasn't happened.

Caporegime
I wouldn't consider a GTX 780TI for £300 bargain basement, significantly cheaper than it was but next to a GTX 970 for £250+ not even close. 290X were going for £250 and less at the time too.

Like the GTX 980 and up now the 780TI was one of those cards that had a lot of E-Peen Tax.

Soldato
True that. I have been around long enough and seen some great bargains of old GPUs whilst the new cards are launched. I can't remember a time there wasn't a good deal to be had but that's not to say it hasn't happened.

There is a point in time when there is only one or two about and they can increase as well because not many are left to sli or crossfire.

Soldato
They won't trounce their current high end and because the market dictates, they will probably waffle on about VR capability instead.

Of course they will... market dictates they MUST. They can't and won't release a 8GB GDDR5X GPU that is SLOWER than a 980Ti, they wouldn't sell any LOL! I don't even know how they'd manage that, but it won't happen and they'd NEVER get away with it if they tried (which they won't). The million dollar question is how much more powerful it will be AND at what price. 10% more for the same price as a Ti, no thanks (especially with inevitable Ti price drop). 20%+ more for less money... now we're talking. We shall find out soon enough anyway...

Soldato
Such bullcrap...

980's were as cheap as £420 from OCUK and even less if you shopped around , and that was on release day!

yeah I got mine on launch for £425 inc from ocuk.

they sold by the truck load then nvidia whacked the price to £500+

Back
Top Bottom