• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Caporegime
We're not gonna get a monster jump in performance, nVidia dividing the main chip into 3 segments kind of hints at that imo.

I do however think they'll create a new segment for the Ti, £650-£700 for those who want close to Titan perfornance but don't want/need the very best (at which point the 980Ti@£300ish will be considered good value).

Not long to wait now though, will be interested to see (as prices usually aren't set until the last minute) :D

bru

bru

Soldato
I swear if that box landed on my door with a riddle i would re-box it promto and carry on with my day instead of wasting it.

So after ignoring the box and carrying on with your day, you wouldn't think 'hey I'm a rely on you tube hits to make any money, I'm so glad I ignored that box NVidia sent me, that an article about it would generate several thousand hits.' :rolleyes:

Soldato
The thing is, you also have no proof/facts to de-bunk any of these claims...
Haha. That's not how things work man. You cant just throw out a bunch of BS that cant be supported and then say it's valid or has substance because somebody doesn't have the capability to properly disprove it. It's a seriously dishonest way of 'discussing' something, let alone proper debate, where that kind of thing would be laughed off the stand.

It's the sort of line of reasoning that creationists repeatedly use, just to put into context what level of honest discussion you're trying to use here.

Seriously, read about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot

What a bunch of sad gits just release the god damm details. I swear if that box landed on my door with a riddle i would re-box it promto and carry on with my day instead of wasting it. I mean christ going all super hero on a release that everyone knows it going to suck and dissapoint.
I guess you've forgotten that Maxwell was actually a big success? Just as Kepler was before it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Still not sure why people are certain the GTX1080 is £500?

It's most likely to be £400 to £450 as that is the price Nvidia has had for all the none 80TI cards.

Erm... GTX780 was £550 on release. If AMD don't have a GPU within ~25% of 1080 performance expect a similar price. They will EOL 980Ti and let 1080 sit at that price with 1070 at ~£400+

Soldato
Erm... GTX780 was £550 on release. If AMD don't have a GPU within ~25% of 1080 performance expect a similar price. They will EOL 980Ti and let 1080 sit at that price with 1070 at ~£400+
The GTX780 was also a slightly cut down, top end GK110.

It was essentially the 980Ti of the Kepler range.

Caporegime
Haha. That's not how things work man. You cant just throw out a bunch of BS that cant be supported and then say it's valid or has substance because somebody doesn't have the capability to properly disprove it. It's a seriously dishonest way of 'discussing' something, let alone proper debate, where that kind of thing would be laughed off the stand.

It's the sort of line of reasoning that creationists repeatedly use, just to put into context what level of honest discussion you're trying to use here.

Seriously, read about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot

Ok, so without any doubt in your mind, you essentially believe that no company is dirty and that they would never ever perform any underhand dirty tactics?

And no, I nor others have ever said that nvidia or any company for that matter have done said stuff for 100% certainty, as mus. said, it is just "speculating".

Like I said, keep an open mind, as has been proven plenty of times that companies can and will go to any lengths to smear the competition, google is your friend.

Soldato
Ok, so without any doubt in your mind, you essentially believe that no company is dirty and that they would never ever perform any underhand dirty tactics?
Well I see you've no end to your inability to make an honest argument. I've said absolutely nothing like that whatsoever!

And as a wise man once said - "Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out."

I'm a very open-minded person. But you've got to keep things into perspective and context and have some rational reasoning for your thoughts. Rational skepticism, in other words. It's a good thing. Blind cynicism is not. Of course you're going to reply that you think your skepticism is 'rational', but I assure you it's not. You've done absolutely nothing to support the claim except say that businesses can be greedy, which does not mean that you can just leverage any BS accusation that you come up with at a company and say it's valid and likely true with absolutely no supporting evidence. It's just not how things work.

Last edited:
Associate
If the 1080 is the top NV card at launch (irrespective of the later Ti and titan) it will be circa £500 at launch. That's the current pricing structure. Why would it change?

I also paid ~£500 for my 780 at launch, later surpassed by the 780Ti.

Caporegime
Well I see you've no end to your inability to make an honest argument. I've said absolutely nothing like that whatsoever!

And as a wise man once said - "Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out."

I'm a very open-minded person. But you've got to keep things into perspective and context and have some rational reasoning for your thoughts. Rational skepticism, in other words. It's a good thing. Blind cynicism is not. Of course you're going to reply that you think your skepticism is 'rational', but I assure you it's not. You've done absolutely nothing to support the claim except say that businesses can be greedy, which does not mean that you can just leverage any BS accusation that you come up with at a company and say it's valid and likely true with absolutely no supporting evidence. It's just not how things work.

Well the way that you and a few others post, you come across like nvidia or whatever company can do no evil at all and that they do everything by the book.

There has been plenty of logical discussions on dx 12, async, sponsored games time and time again, either you choose not to see people's reasoning for brand loyalty or whatever reason or you are just being pedantic for argumentative sake.

I am really not sure why it is so hard to grasp the whole point of this discussion... You are more or less saying that until proven, companies are good boys, they can do no wrong, I am saying don't be so naive and keep an open mind, as has been proven in the past, companies have been caught using dirty underhand tactics and even had action taken against them for said tactics.

Once again, if you want to see the lengths companies will go to, google is your friend, there are even books on underhand dirty tactics used by companies.

Again, my point is that it is all just "speculation" and until someone blows the whistle on what goes on behind closed doors, neither you nor my or any other persons claims are "right", but like I said, I will keep an open mind and not just blindly believe that we all live in a perfect world.

EDIT:

The fact that a developer came forward and said this:

NVIDIA Was Putting Pressure On Us To Disable Certain Settings In The Benchmark, when we refused, I think they took it a little too personally.

Should show nvidia's propensity to put "pressure" on game developers.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 780 was a 561mm die, so comparing it to a 300-350mm die is a tad misleading.

There was never going to be a 780ti with roughly double the 780's die size.

The 1080 on the other hand should be superseded by 1080ti that hopefully will be around twice the die size.

Pricing the 1080 at £500 if it's just slightly faster than the 980ti won't generate the new sales NVidia will need. Around £350-£400 should. (£450 Max, if yields are poor)

The 1070 will likely be around £100-£120 less.

The 900 Series is a far closer comparable release and that was a £260/£410 release. Though there was some price gouging on the 980. :)
And the die size of those was bigger than what we are expecting for these.

Soldato
Well the way that you and a few others post, you come across like nvidia or whatever company can do no evil at all and that they do everything by the book.
FFS. Just because I dismiss completely baseless accusations doesn't mean I think they are perfect. What is so hard to understand about that? You cant just go making up accusations and saying it's 'probably true' just because you dont like something else the company did. That's insane.

There has been plenty of logical discussions on dx 12, async, sponsored games time and time again, either you choose not to see people's reasoning for brand loyalty or whatever reason or you are just being pedantic for argumentative sake.
Justify your inane brand loyalty how you need to. I will never take part in it.

It has nothing to do with what we're talking about, though.

I am really not sure why it is so hard to grasp the whole point of this discussion... You are more or less saying that until proven, companies are good boys, they can do no wrong,
Nope, never said anything remotely like that. Why do all of your arguments rely on completely made up accusations? :/

There's a clear pattern here.

I am saying don't be so naive and keep an open mind, as has been proven in the past, companies have been caught using dirty underhand tactics and even had action taken against them for said tactics.
I might as well just repeat my last post as clearly none of it got even the least bit through to you.

Once again, if you want to see the lengths companies will go to, google is your friend, there are even books on underhand dirty tactics used by companies.
Just because somebody is guilty of car theft doesn't mean it's ok to accuse them of murder with absolutely nothing to back it up. It's like saying, "Well they stole a car once, obviously they must be guilty of killing people, too!". As I said before - that line of reasoning is flat out insane. If the world worked like that, it would fall apart.

Again, my point is that it is all just "speculation" and until someone blows the whistle on what goes on behind closed doors, neither you nor my or any other persons claims are "right", but like I said, I will keep an open mind and not just blindly believe that we all live in a perfect world.
NO man. You CANNOT just go making up accusations and saying that they have substance *purely* on the basis of somebody else not being able to disprove it. You clearly did not read the link I provided about Russell's teapot. I'll provide it again since all of this is seemingly going in one ear and out the other:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot

READ that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It seems that I have touched a nerve lmao :D

No offence but most of that post is lol worthy compared to your previous ones, no point me addressing most of that as

1. lol worthy, especially the analogy :o
2. I already said my piece and cba trying to explain something so simple, we are just going around in circles now

As for your original statement saying that there is no evidence nor rational discussion, like I and others have said:

The fact that a developer came forward and said this:

NVIDIA Was Putting Pressure On Us To Disable Certain Settings In The Benchmark, when we refused, I think they took it a little too personally.

Should show nvidia's propensity to put "pressure" on game developers, unless are the developers making this up?

Back
Top Bottom