• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
OP
If the 1080 is the top NV card at launch (irrespective of the later Ti and titan) it will be circa £500 at launch. That's the current pricing structure. Why would it change?

I also paid ~£500 for my 780 at launch, later surpassed by the 780Ti.

If the 1080 is priced at £500 then it will be a relief, cos there's no way I'm spending that much on the pretender card. The big Pascal Ti chips I would consider £500+ but not for the early milking cards.

I'm going GTX 1070 if it's better than current card in performance etc, then later when Nvidia have milked enough people and release the real deal high end, I might consider a GTX '1080 Ti', the '1080' and Titan's can kiss my rear :D

Soldato
It seems that I have touched a nerve lmao :D
It is a bit frustrating when everything you say is basically completely ignored and you just repeat the same nonsense arguments, sure. I'm not super upset, but it's annoying all the same.

No offence but most of that post is lol worthy compared to your previous ones, no point me addressing most of that as
Seeing your critical thinking skills and inability to form an honest argument, I'm going to say that you're going to ignore it because it is inconvenient and that's what you do.

As for your original statement saying that there is no evidence nor rational discussion, like I and others have said:

The fact that a developer came forward and said this:

Should show nvidia's propensity to put "pressure" on game developers, unless are the developers making this up?
That is not evidence of them paying off developers to get rid of DX12. That is NOT how things work man! lol Jesus christ. You cant just make up accusations and then say, "Well I dont have any evidence of them doing this specifically but they did something else, so they're probably doing this, too!"

That is exactly like accusing somebody of murder with the only 'evidence' being that they once stole a car. The analogy works, no matter how much you blindly dismiss it.

Caporegime
It is a bit frustrating when everything you say is basically completely ignored and you just repeat the same nonsense arguments, sure. I'm not super upset, but it's annoying all the same.

Seeing your critical thinking skills and inability to form an honest argument, I'm going to say that you're going to ignore it because it is inconvenient and that's what you do.

That is not evidence of them paying off developers to get rid of DX12. That is NOT how things work man! lol Jesus christ. You cant just make up accusations and then say, "Well I dont have any evidence of them doing this specifically but they did something else, so they're probably doing this, too!"

That is exactly like accusing somebody of murder with the only 'evidence' being that they once stole a car. The analogy works, no matter how much you blindly dismiss it.

Chill bro, it is only an internet forum, no need to get annoyed over the "internet"

And no it is not evidence of them paying developers off (your charge against me...) but it shows that nvidia have tried to apply pressure so who knows what they might do or offer to other developers especially games that they "sponsor". You said that there was no rational discussion or merit on claims to suggest that nvidia pay companies to do said things but that shows that they already put "pressure" on developers, which could take various forms PS. I never specifically said that nvidia 'paying off developers', which seems to be your central charge at me ;)

So question back at you, do you deny that nvidia have not applied pressure to game developers to exclude features that benefit their competition in the past?

As evidenced by this link:

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/oxide...to-disable-certain-settings-in-the-benchmark/

If you deny the veracity of the source in question, what is your evidence to counter this account by the developer privy to the facts? If you do not deny it, why are you excluding the possibility that nvidia may have applied 'pressure' in this specific instance? Propensity may not be definitive, but it is useful to highlight the possibility. Something that you seem to be conveniently ignoring.

And I'm afraid, stupid analogy is still stupid because you are comparing 2 different things, murder and theft. I am only being sceptical and high lighting the "possibility" that nvida has put "pressure" on developers to do said stuff as they did with oxide.

Last edited:
Permabanned
If the 1080 is priced at £500 then it will be a relief, cos there's no way I'm spending that much on the pretender card. The big Pascal Ti chips I would consider £500+ but not for the early milking cards.

You could not get the 980 for £500 i had to wait for a while normally i think it was £550? Also inflation im telling you prepare yourself to see a pre-order of £599 on the OCUK site for 1080.

If it is £500 i will be relieved because that is my budget, And my 980 with under 500 hrs will cover the rest of the cost to upgrade.

Caporegime
You could not get the 980 for £500 i had to wait for a while normally i think it was £550? Also inflation im telling you prepare yourself to see a pre-order of £599 on the OCUK site for 1080.

If it is £500 i will be relieved because that is my budget, And my 980 with under 500 hrs will cover the rest of the cost to upgrade.

Such bullcrap...

980's were as cheap as £420 from OCUK and even less if you shopped around , and that was on release day!

Soldato
THe brainwashing is complete, everyone accepts the £100 tier increase now lol.

It's worse than that... Nvidia could price these cards at a £1000 and you'd see people justifying it to themselves and arguing for it!

As mentioned, 980's were indeed available for just over £400 at one point, but that was when the pound was much stronger against the dollar. Prices rose primarily because it weakened and saw the exchange rate fall and prices here go up. Nothing much has changed there unfortunately.

Very interested to see how they price the new cards though. With the 980Ti holding steady at £550-600, I think it will most likely replace that at a similar price (and see those fall to the £400-450 mark). I think it's pure fantasy to think the 1080 will be £400 now, especially with the exchange rate as mentioned. £500 if we're lucky is my guess, but I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong!

Caporegime
No idea why some people get so hung up on "Nvidia is bad because of such and such conspiracy" in a thread discussing the new nodes and then trying to convince everyone that their point is valid. I am pretty excited to see what is what come the new launch, regardless of politics and might even have a dabble with the first iteration of Pascal/Polaris if the price is right to my budget. Politics has no place for me with buying a GPU for my entertainment.

Soldato
I expect this whole launch to be an anti climax. They won't trounce their current high end and because the market dictates, they will probably waffle on about VR capability instead.

Prices will be high due to exchange rates and people will buy them and realise that wow...they can play the same boring games they've been benchmarking for two years with a 10% increase.

980ti performance around 300 quid would be wonderful, but don't hold your breath

Soldato
No

I bought 2*980 on release day I had to phone my order in due to payment issues their end

They was 499 each for cheapest

Do you mean the 980ti as I got min for 509 a couple of weeks after release. 980 no ti where never that much which has been shown and supply was good comparied to the fury X and 980ti on release

Associate
It's worse than that... Nvidia could price these cards at a £1000 and you'd see people justifying it to themselves and arguing for it!

As mentioned, 980's were indeed available for just over £400 at one point, but that was when the pound was much stronger against the dollar. Prices rose primarily because it weakened and saw the exchange rate fall and prices here go up. Nothing much has changed there unfortunately.

Any chance you remember what the exchange rate was? I'd be interested to know.

Back
Top Bottom