• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
Are Nvidia revealing on the battlefield stream or do they have there own show?

Or have I missed it already lol.

Edit: I see some saying 6pm and some saying 2am?
6pm is when the Order of Ten timer runs out. http://orderof10.com/humanityshallbeenlightened

2am Saturday morning is the event Nvidia have announced.

My guess is press releases and info at 6pm, then demonstrations 8hrs later on the livestream.

Man of Honour
Fair few announcements today/tomorrow including Battlefield and 1-2 other game reveals - gonna be busy catching up with it all.

Caporegime
Not sure what the status is with Windows 10 but its a failing of Windows/WDDM really - nVidia works around it by doing some nasty hacks which is partly assisted by their FPGA in the monitor which FreeSync lacks (not sure if the hardware is entirely essential but you need some extra buffers I believe).

Overly simplified in an exclusive fullscreen mode only one thing is writing to the screen - in a windowed type mode potentially a lot of things could be writing to the screen all on different timings which means you have to separate out the application in focus.

They could separate the render output in the code path, the driver knows what the game is and what the desktop is, its a case of applying to one code path or both.

I'm pretty sure that how nvidia do it, in fact its already done in multi-screen rendering, each output run along a separate code path.

Soldato
Just goes to show that the experts on this site saying there won't be much improvement at all, buy buy buy old tech months before release are full of %&$!

This^

lol Yep! Their sure are mate :D

Wait, that's not right, people were always expecting the 1080 to be faster. Some people were expecting the 1070 to be 20 or 30% faster than the 980Ti (for less than £300) which other posters said wouldn't happen.

Besides, We still don't know what the performance is going to be like. People are still speculating. This latest leak could be a best case scenario and in actual games the performance might only be a little bit better than the 980Ti.

Or maybe the 1080 will perform much better in games. But, it's a little too early for you guys to be making posts like this.

Caporegime
I'm sure AMD will get something sorted in the future with regards to windowed modes, if they can add more or less the same low frame rate compensation method that is used for gsync then I'm sure that they will be able to overcome that issue somehow too.

Out of all the games that I have played, there has only been 1 that I ran in borderless windowed mode and that was the witcher 3 because of the frame latency mess with full screen mode, with g/free sync, I could have ran it in fullscreen mode though.

Seeing as monitors are probably my longest serving component, then I'm happy to have 144hz Gysnc for the next however many years I feel like it.

We aren't talking about GPUs here that are obsolete after 12 months, a good quality 1440p 144hz gsync is going to be as good in 3/4/5 years as the day I bought it, at which point should gysnc have gone EOL then I shall still feel like I've had sufficient value out of it.

If you intend on never ever going AMD then fair enough, it is a non issue but there are people who want "choice" and not to be locked into a GPU brand.

Lets just assume that polaris is better in every way than pascal and people with their gsync screens want to move to AMD/polaris, it means that they will lose the main feature of their monitor so if they want the same judder, screen tear free experience then they will also have to buy a new adaptive/free sync monitor at the same time and for some that is going to be a very expensive outlay.

I'm not paying £100 more for the same screen doing the same thing just to bloat Nvidia's coffers.

In some cases it is far more than £100 i.e. 34" screen, the price difference is £350 :eek:

Soldato
Gsync will go the way of nvidia 3d vision, it is only a matter of time.

Absolute ******, the longer it stays, the better. It's a paradigm shift and the best PC upgrade I've had in many years. I can tell you've never tried it.

Quite why people think Nvidia will adopt freesync when it's their GPUs that are selling by the truckload is rather baffling. Gsync is going nowhere and AMD would be wise to adopt it as it's the superior implemention anyway.

Caporegime
I assume your speaking out of experience of using a freesync panel, Gregster?

Oh wait, you haven't. Your just assuming, since you don't own a freesync setup.

NVIDIA adopting adaptive sync/freesync is nothing but a win win for consumers. You get to keep your gsync panels and enjoy the closed ecosystem that that entails, while those with freesync panels can also use variable refresh rates on NVIDIA GPU's.

Literally no-one looses with this idea - saying you'd prefer NVIDIA didn't adopt freesync is an opinion that I and I'd hope the majority don't agree with.

If you review channel is to be a success - you need to think of the broader picture, Greg.

You assume too much Dave and are just digging for bites now. I have used Freesync (Iiyama) and whilst the IQ wasn't the best or the refresh rate, for the price, I was impressed with it. Sure there are pitfalls but to assume this and that about me just sums you up!

I also do my channel for fun and don't really care what you think.

Soldato
Absolute ********, the longer it stays, the better. It's a paradigm shift and the best PC upgrade I've had in many years. I can tell you've never tried it.

Quite why people think Nvidia will adopt freesync when it's their GPUs that are selling by the truckload is rather baffling. Gsync is going nowhere and AMD would be wise to adopt it as it's the superior implemention anyway.

What he probably meant was G-Sync will go the way of 3d because Nvidia will take up Adaptive Sync. The Sync technology is going no where.

Soldato
Absolute b******s, the longer it stays, the better. It's a paradigm shift and the best PC upgrade I've had in many years. I can tell you've never tried it.

Have you missed some of the posts in this thread?

He has Freesync which is just as good as Gsync.

Nvidia are using the adaptive sync solution in their laptops.

AMD can't use Nvidia's tech, but there is nothing stopping Nvidia using adaptive sync as it's a display port tech run by VESA (which Nvidia are art of)

Man of Honour
He has Freesync which is just as good as Gsync.

I don't really want to hate on FreeSync - but only someone who hasn't had extensive experience of using both would say that (even if some aspects of that is down to the monitor manufacturers rather than the adaptive sync standard itself).

Caporegime
Absolute ********, the longer it stays, the better. It's a paradigm shift and the best PC upgrade I've had in many years. I can tell you've never tried it.

And another who can't read :D

Where have I said that gsync wasn't any good?

And actually, I have seen/used both free and g sync in action, saw them for the first time a few weeks ago, and just as I expected, it is great and both do the exact same thing, not the silver bullet that many claim it to be though, low FPS (as in <40FPS) is still low FPS and people who are sensitive to motion clarity etc. will still not want to drop below 60FPS ideally...

But don't take my word, as linked a few times in the last page or 2 now, plenty of "expert" monitor reviewers say the same ;)

Freesync is AMD's marketing name for adaptive sync, an open standard implemented by VESA in display port 1.2a/1.3 and now HDMI. Intel have announced support with their future products.

Also, in case you haven't noticed with nvidia, they aren't exactly too keen on having other companies use their tech.

Gsync has been out for over a year longer than freesync yet FS has FAR more choice with panel types as well as monitor manufacturers + is cheaper, not bad going in my books :)

It really does puzzle me why some are so against nvidia supporting adaptive sync considering all the benefits that would be brought about for EVERYONE by doing this...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom