• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Caporegime
There is absolutely zero chance that Polaris will be so much better that it will warrant the cost of a monitor and GPU change for me.

Yup but what "if" you want to change to AMD, maybe not this year but next year, are you happy with having to buy a new monitor as well if you want to keep the sync tech, which is probably why you bought your current monitor in the first place, at least one of the main reasons, right?

Like you said, most people keep their monitors for 5+ years where as change their GPU every year or 2.

EDIT:

And yeah in your case, with your stuff, there isn't much point in upgrading for another year or 2.

Except that most Freesync panels have a **** range and aren't worth considering

Apparently not really an issue:

Low frame rates are low frame rates regardless. You really don't want to be getting under 56fps or anywhere near that on a 144Hz monitor, it feels and looks extremely sluggish. And besides, now that AMD has LFC the frame rates below the hardware floor (56Hz/56fps) are suitably compensated for to remove stuttering and tearing. It's very much a non-issue really.

Besides, with that AMD freesync range hack, people are able to change the range to what they want, seems to work very well for the majority.

EDIT:

Also, there are only a few that have a crap range "officially"

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes but a hack is just one more obstacle surely? You really shouldn't have to do that, and it's something that not a lot of people would do!!

I do realise it's getting better though, which is a very good thing. Personally I think nVidia should support 'freesync' with the DP 1.3 that's coming on their new cards

Caporegime
Yup it would be nice not to have to do anything.

If what PCM2 has said is true though, then it shouldn't really have to be done in the first place anyway.

Soldato
Except that most Freesync panels have a **** range and aren't worth considering

People keep saying this, but, it's not true. There are loads of panels with full range freesync in all the various price ranges, including 2 that cost less than £200.

The other thing, is full range means very little. Because, on both freesync and gsync, playing games below 35-40fps is still bad, and if you have a frame rate higher than a 100fps then it's really not noticeable. The sweet spot is the 40-90 fps range.

Sorry for the aside!! Roll on 2am until we hear what's the future of GPUs going to be :) The only problem with not waiting up is that this thread will have exploded and it's a pain trying to read the 50 pages of crap that everyone has posted :p:D

Caporegime
I agree, ideally I like to keep above 40fps. But I've tried it with Gsync switched off and it's awful!! So it really does do a good job :)

Hopefully we'll get some good solid info, in the morning for me :D

Man of Honour
I agree, ideally I like to keep above 40fps. But I've tried it with Gsync switched off and it's awful!! So it really does do a good job :)

Hopefully we'll get some good solid info, in the morning for me :D

I've been pleasantly surprised how playable G-Sync can make it around that 56fps mark - before it would have been an absolute no go - sure at the end of the day it can't work miracles and if you are dropping much below it gets nasty - I was playing around with Skyrim limited to 56fps (due to a number of bugs it produces the most stable results with some extensive modding) and only G-Sync let me do that without having to make some kind of compromise between input latency, tearing or just general low framerate nastiness.

Soldato
You assume too much Dave and are just digging for bites now. I have used Freesync (Iiyama) and whilst the IQ wasn't the best or the refresh rate, for the price, I was impressed with it. Sure there are pitfalls but to assume this and that about me just sums you up!

I also do my channel for fun and don't really care what you think.

I assumed that you don't currently own a freesync setup. Did I assume wrong? Which AMD GPU are you using it with?

Soldato
This was supposedly posted on the Nvidia website before being redacted:

NVIDIA Blog Our First Virtual Reality Experience, VR Funhouse, Shows What Pascal Can Do for VR

Quote:
With the launch of our GeForce GTX 1080 [ADD PRESS RELEASE LINK], we're announcing the first virtual reality experience we've created from the ground up - NVIDIA VR Funhouse - to highlight what our Pascal-based GPU can do for VR. VR Funhouse is built to bring a new level of immersion to VR by enhancing [...]The post Our First Virtual Reality Experience, VR Funhouse, Shows What Pascal Can Do for VR appeared first on The Official NVIDIA Blog.

Looks like VR is the new buzzword for Pascal and Polaris.

Edit!!

The cached site is still there:

https://webcache.googleusercontent....vr-funhouse-pascal/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

With the launch of our GeForce GTX 1080 [ADD PRESS RELEASE LINK], we’re announcing the first virtual reality experience we’ve created from the ground up — NVIDIA VR Funhouse — to highlight what our Pascal-based GPU can do for VR.

VR Funhouse is built to bring a new level of immersion to VR by enhancing what you see, hear and touch through a combination of great graphics, fully interactive audio and simulated physics. The HTC Vive-compatible, room-scale experience is coming soon to your GeForce GTX PC through Valve’s Steam digital distribution service.

Players can bounce between ten different mini-games, which let them tackle carnival-inspired challenges such as tossing basketballs, popping balloons, and shoot at targets fired from a cartoonish cannon. ADD DETAILS ABOUT OPEN-SOURCING FOR COMMUNITY, IF APPROPRIATE, HERE.

While our experience is packed with whimsical touches, it’s built to show off Pascal’s groundbreaking technologies. It’s the most technically advanced VR experience yet. Lift the lid and here are just a few of the technologies you’ll find behind all the fun:

NVIDIA Flow — Grab a bow and arrow in our target-shooting mini-game. Set the arrow aflame and you’ll be able to shoot it at targets that burst into flames when they’re hit. Our NVIDIA Flow technology physically simulates experiences such as fire throughout VR Funhouse.
NVIDIA HairWorks — The whimsical feel of our colorful “The Mole the Merrier!” and “Knock’Em Silly” challenges is enhanced by NVIDIA HairWorks technology. Jab at your targets. Give them a knock and you’ll see their colorful hair bounce. Or pat them on the head to flatten their jazzy haircuts.
VRWorks Physics — Poke, punch, pound and explore. VR Funhouse is filled with objects that you can interact with in surprising ways using your hand controllers. Our PhysX technology for VR gives the objects in the game realistic physical behavior, enabling proper graphics, collision detection, and haptics force feedback.
NVIDIA FleX — In our “He’s Flexible” mini-game, you’ll be able to pick up gooey, colorful blobs — that stretch and jiggle in surprising ways in your hand — toss them at targets and watch them ooze toward the ground. You’ll find this next-generation particle-based physical simulation used all over VR Funhouse.
NVIDIA VRWorks Audio — Walk into “Flight of the Clown,” and you’ll need to use your ears to locate a stealthy drone. VRWorks Audio uses our Pascal GPUs to ray trace sound waves in real-time, realistically simulating how audio propagates and reflects across the room. The reflections and echoes created by VRWorks Audio will test your skills in locating the drone.
VR SLI — The more, the merrier. If you’ve got two GPUs, this technology will let one GPU render images to your left eye, and the other to your right, maximizing performance and minimizing latency.

But Wait, There’s More

These are just a few of the ways our VRWorks technology is enhancing VR Funhouse.

For a closer look at these technologies and others you’ll be able to experience — such as our new Single Pass Stereo and Lens Matched Shading — dive into our in-depth looks at VRWorks [INSERT LINK WHEN LIVE] and VR Funhouse [INSERT LINK WHEN LIVE] on GeForce.com.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very interested in what nVidia can bring. I've all but given up on Polaris until AMD sort their drivers out (Ubuntu user before anyone bites).

So really i'm cornered into using the green team until AMD GPU-Pro is sorted so at least some kind of acceptable standard. I mean, they've not even done a full release of the drivers yet for 16.10 (and the betas don't even install straightforwardly, it involves kernel hacking) so their decision to pull fglrx support for said OS is baffling and absolutely crazy.

If the pricing is right, i'll have a 1080. If not, i'll take a 1070.

Back
Top Bottom