• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Caporegime
Can we expect Pascal to cost similar to the 980Ti on release (£550/$650)?

If it's really so much faster than 980Ti/Titan X I'll probably save up and buy one or two.

Nah, the genie is out of the bottle now. If the performance of Pascal is as good as they've geen saying, we're looking at the first proper leap in performance for years.

I expect Pascal will arrive before next GCN (GCNN?) In that case you better get some lube. The new top end card is going to be at least £1k. And people will pay it.

Soldato
Unless AMD shows up to the fight in shape and on time, then there will be cookies :)
Which they will, which is going to make all this very interesting.

Both Nvidia and AMD are waiting on the same things(16nm chips and HBM2), so once those are ready, both will be itching to put something out and it'll happen within the same general window.

If AMD go big, Nvidia would lose out if they try the small die-first approach. They could only got away with that before because AMD had nothing better available at the time. This is why the big die-first strategy *may* well happen this time around, just depends on what AMD are doing.

So at the least, I can see Nvidia at least having the big guns ready.

And of course the whole pricing competitiveness could be pretty good for us. :)

Soldato
Titan card will be around the £800 and the Ti will be around the £550. Nvidia will be realistic with pricing.
Pricing isn't some arbitrary thing. It will be a combination of supply, demand, costs, profit expectations, and very importantly - competition.

I don't think there's any way to predict what they'll price it at without knowing a lot more.

Caporegime
Pricing isn't some arbitrary thing. It will be a combination of supply, demand, costs, profit expectations, and very importantly - competition.

I don't think there's any way to predict what they'll price it at without knowing a lot more.

Thanks for explaining. I thought they just picked a random number like I just did :D

Caporegime
My bad, wasn't trying to sound condescending. Just saying it could probably go different ways based on stuff that we're just not privy to.

No probs and I was jesting :D I was actually basing it on how sales appear to have gone for the current Titan X and 980Ti and don't feel Nvidia would try and upscale the pricing more. As for the lower end of Pascal, no idea.

And you are correct in what you say. If AMD are close to launching, Nvidia could try and clean up with aggressive pricing. If AMD launch first and Nvidia have them beat, they could charge for that extra performance and if AMD have Nvidia beat, we could see cheaper top end cards from Nvidia.

Many factors of course as well - HBM 2.0 pricing, chip yields etc.

Caporegime
No probs and I was jesting :D I was actually basing it on how sales appear to have gone for the current Titan X and 980Ti and don't feel Nvidia would try and upscale the pricing more. As for the lower end of Pascal, no idea.

And you are correct in what you say. If AMD are close to launching, Nvidia could try and clean up with aggressive pricing. If AMD launch first and Nvidia have them beat, they could charge for that extra performance and if AMD have Nvidia beat, we could see cheaper top end cards from Nvidia.

Many factors of course as well - HBM 2.0 pricing, chip yields etc.

For one, I think the "price wars" are a thing of the past. AMD has said publicly it doesn't want to be a "budget" brand, and is attempting to don a new image, that AMD is a premium brand like nV. How a market can sustain two premium brands and nothing else I have no idea.

Then there's the difference in performance between Pascal and Maxwell, if true. If the performance really is there (let's say 50% to 100% more perf), many people would justify moving up the spending scale. I think that's what nV and AMD have learned recently.

"People who want more performance are happy to spend more money than they did on their last GPU."

In effect, the days of getting more perf with a new gen at the same price point as the old gen, well those days seem to be a memory.

I'm expecting AMD's new range to be more expensive across the board. This is consistent with how AMD now sees itself (premium brand).

In reply, nV will have no incentive to lower prices. They know that Titans sold, they know that 980Tis sold, they know that the £300+ 970 sold in staggering numbers.

You think they'll price a card twice as quick as a 970 for the same money as a 970? You don't think they'd try to add £100 on top? I can quite easily imagine a 1070 at £400. A 1060 at £250. A 1050 at £175. Then your new Titan at £1000+, and your 1080ti at £700.

I genuinely hope I'm wrong, but AMD's new "we're premium too!" marlarky does not fill me with confidence for a new price war :eek:

Soldato
The 16FF+ Pascal dies will be a lot more expensive than the extra mature 28nm Maxwell ones. The wafers are almost twice the price.

I wouldn't expect NV to eat that cost. It'll probably blow way past the £1000 mark on release. Unless they leave it and stick with the 1080 until costs can be brought in line with what the market will bear. Then again, people will certainly pay £1200 or more for a Titan. But how many?

Last edited:

P.B

P.B

Soldato
Which they will, which is going to make all this very interesting.

Both Nvidia and AMD are waiting on the same things(16nm chips and HBM2), so once those are ready, both will be itching to put something out and it'll happen within the same general window.

If AMD go big, Nvidia would lose out if they try the small die-first approach. They could only got away with that before because AMD had nothing better available at the time. This is why the big die-first strategy *may* well happen this time around, just depends on what AMD are doing.

So at the least, I can see Nvidia at least having the big guns ready.

And of course the whole pricing competitiveness could be pretty good for us. :)

Fingers crossed for this as I hate the half baked 980/680 "high end" cards :mad:

Back
Top Bottom