• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Not sure this needed its own thread? It has been said in the thread we have already.

This didn't need its own thread, and Kaap's headline is not only misleading it's not what the article says in fact. I left some comments in the other thread, which I can't be bothered to repeat here.

The bit I found interesting was this part about the compute abilities.

As expected, Nvidia’s high-end graphics processor that belongs to the “Pascal” family will feature an all-new architecture with a number of exclusive innovations, including mixed precision (for the first time Nvidia’s stream processors will support FP16, FP32 and FP64 precision), NVLink interconnection technology for supercomputers and multi-GPU configurations, unified memory addressing as well as support for second-generation high-bandwidth memory (HBM generation 2).

As for the title I don't think it was misleading as I copied it from the linked article.

News site titles are misleading in the first place tho. :p

If it's a prosumer card like OG Titan most of the people buying will probably think the 16GB is a great idea.

Last edited:
Do we know that all Pascal cards in the 10xx series will use HBM? Same with AMD?

Is there a chance they'll stick with GDDR5 for the lower-end offerings?

It will be much simpler and cheaper for Nvidia to have HBM from top to mid-end at least.

The only reason the mid-end might get GDDR5 s if there is really a shortage then NVidia could reserve GDDR5 for the high end - but that is a decision that would have been made a long time ago.

Don't know but it would be a bit crap if they stick with GDDR5 and only have HBM on the £500+ cards.

I don't see that it will really make any difference. The bandwidth of HBM is not required yet even for the high end, the 980Ti happily beats the FuryX across the board. Next generation mid-end should equal current high end.

The only downside to the consumer of a GDRR5 mid-end would be larger boards. But I really doubt Nvidia will go for a GDDR5 mid-end, that will be reserved for the low end where GDRR5 will be needed to keep costs down.

The only thing putting me off the Pascal Titan is the reference cooler - Acoustics are important to me and I would like a silent build.

I guess it's 1080Ti if and/or when it is released. :l

Edit: Oh good point about smaller PCBs, maybe we'll see a different reference cooler.

I don't see that it will really make any difference. The bandwidth of HBM is not required yet even for the high end, the 980Ti happily beats the FuryX across the board. Next generation mid-end should equal current high end.

The only downside to the consumer of a GDRR5 mid-end would be larger boards. But I really doubt Nvidia will go for a GDDR5 mid-end, that will be reserved for the low end where GDRR5 will be needed to keep costs down.

Not really the fury X is a lot more competitive at 4k than it is at 1440p, yes the memory bus on the 980ti is just about good enough ATM, but the memory bus on the 970 and 980 is too small. I bet the 980ti would be stronger at 4k if it had HBM like the fury X, maybe not at anything less than 4k.

Pascal Titan won't last 4 years performing at the top level, you'd be much better off getting the 1080ti or whatever it will be called, using that for 2 years, selling it and buying the equivalent TI at the time. Might cost a little more but would serve you much better. I probably wouldn't buy either though if I was using loan money or only working part time.

That's a good point, something I may have to consider. Who knows maybe ill be able to afford the cheapest 1080ti and buy a second one at the same time or shortly after, if I don't get the performance I need.
Just gonna be quite hard waiting if the titan comes out first:p

"upto" 16GB. Most will have 8GB.

"High end... Pascal... up to 16GB HBM2."

"High end... Pascal... new architecture with HBM2."

That's what the article says. So as well as the "up to" clarifying that some cards will have less, the article also implies that not all Pascal cards will have HBM2 at all.

So for the first time ever (I think) if AMD release after NVidia, one companies top tier card could have four times as much memory as it's rival, but only until AMD brings us their HBM2 offerings.

Back
Top Bottom