• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Don
So for the first time ever (I think) if AMD release after NVidia, one companies top tier card could have four times as much memory as it's rival, but only until AMD brings us their HBM2 offerings.

I actually think AMD will have the next cards out pretty quick as I believe the Fury is a stop gap due to the issues with the node shrink and may of even given Nvidia some breathing space.

Associate
I hope to all hell the 1080ti is reasonably priced, i.e. around current 980ti prices. As for release date, I don't mind if Nvidia take their time or save it for a comeback at AMD when it's needed. Gives me more time to save up and my 970 is only a few months old. Of course I expect at least 1.5x current 980ti performance from it, hopefully 2x. After all the 980ti is pretty much double a 780ti (970~780ti) and those cards are on 28nm. A die shrink must give us better performance than that.

Hopefully by then the good 1440p 144Hz G-sync monitors will be more affordable. I'm not paying £600 for a monitor when the G-sync doesn't even go up to the max 144Hz range, plus we've yet to get a good one in terms of I/O. I want HDMI ports on my monitor too, even if G-sync doesn't work through it, I want to plug in other devices.

Soldato
It only had 3GB... even then 3GB wasn't enough for hardcore setups so then the Titan Black became the only option. NV laughed all the way to the bank.

For a while this place was full of 780Ti 6GB rumours. :D Still waiting for that 980 8GB too...

Caporegime
I actually think AMD will have the next cards out pretty quick as I believe the Fury is a stop gap due to the issues with the node shrink and may of even given Nvidia some breathing space.

Huddy said he hoped people would still be buying Fury in 12 months times tho... which kind of implies they aren't nearly ready with their next gen.

Soldato
Huddy said he hoped people would still be buying Fury in 12 months times tho... which kind of implies they aren't nearly ready with their next gen.

It's taped out which these days means it's a year from release. Tapeout was July I think. But if they have moved from Global to TSMC for manuf. as recent events suggest, who knows how that will affect things.

Soldato
I'll be happy with 8gb of HBM2 for my upgrade next year especially looking at how low memory usage is on HBM cards now, it really does seem to use half as much as GDDR5. I do however wonder if the colour compression and the other tricks AMD have used with HBM adds some kind of overhead to the cards performance. I would be interested to see how a fury performs without these tweaks where memory just isn't an issue to see if there is a penalty. I'm not very up on it though and I may be talking a load of crap, just something I wonder about.

Soldato
It's taped out which these days means it's a year from release. Tapeout was July I think. But if they have moved from Global to TSMC for manuf. as recent events suggest, who knows how that will affect things.

Did they get tapeout before or after the move? If before wouldn't they have to then do it again, possibly?

Soldato
It only had 3GB... even then 3GB wasn't enough for hardcore setups so then the Titan Black became the only option. NV laughed all the way to the bank.

For a while this place was full of 780Ti 6GB rumours. :D Still waiting for that 980 8GB too...

In fairness the 8GB 980 rumours was when it seemed like it might be the top end card. 8GB doesn't really seem to be worth it on a card at that position in the lineup. Plus I think it was mostly because AMD had released the 8GB 290Xs and we were being told that everything was unplayable at 4K on 4GB VRAM. That of course changed once the Fury was out. Or at least the people saying it changed :D

Soldato
In fairness the 8GB 980 rumours was when it seemed like it might be the top end card. 8GB doesn't really seem to be worth it on a card at that position in the lineup. Plus I think it was mostly because AMD had released the 8GB 290Xs and we were being told that everything was unplayable at 4K on 4GB VRAM. That of course changed once the Fury was out. Or at least the people saying it changed :D

That's the problem with these forums tbh, way to many die hard Nvidia fans that focus on all possible negatives from AMD and once they are proven wrong, like with the 4gb of HBM not being enough for 4k they stop commenting on it totally and move to the next point of speculation and then the next and the next.

Back
Top Bottom