• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Associate
"Absolutely, without question, Pascal will launch as pci-e 3 cards(maybe supporting pci-e 4 but not likely). They will not release desktop cards that only work on NVLink, literally no chance at all of that."

Im assuming that they will also be pci-e 2 and Pci-1 for that matter? And even a 50% increase on gen2 will not require an upgrade if you on sandybridge gen2?

Soldato
I'm guessing they mean that while Nvidia didn't say anything themselves, the site found another source to confirm where it was being sourced from.

I cant think of any good reason to not wait at this point unless you desperately need a top line graphics card for whatever reason.

Buy a 980Ti today and in 6 months there's going to be something that costs like 50% less, performs similarly and probably has new features/advancements on top of that. If you can live with that and not feel any regret, go ahead.

Yeah, when it works that is :p

Definitely wait. Not long now and you get new faster tech for cheaper :D

My take is, I'd buy a Fury over a 980ti if I was going to buy this generation rather than wait for a 16nm architecture designed more specifically around HBM, higher bandwidth and DX12 features. I also didn't bother buying a Fury ;)

I still might if some great deal comes up on one somewhere in the next couple months but I really don't see it being too worthwhile. 16nm/designed specifically for DX12 architectures will be so much better over the next 2-3 years than this gen working on what is mostly DX12 games from next year onwards.

Thanks for the great Advice, well I can still Play CS:GO on my current 570 GTX so I will wait, Black Friday is coming so I will only get CPU cooler :D

Caporegime
Definitely wait. Not long now and you get new faster tech for cheaper :D

Whilst there's no doubt the next gen will be /better/, there's no guarantee at all it'll be /cheaper/. For all we know the entry-level 1060 might be £250, and the rest more expensive again.

How far can mid- and high-end prices go though before people cry "enough!"? It seems that the sky's the limit for enthusiast parts, but I'm not convinced that will apply to all market segments.

I think 960 buyers would pay £220+ for next gen, and I'm sure 970 buyers would pay £300+ for next gen.

I don't think prices will go down across the range. Much more likely that they'll go up.

Last edited:
Associate
So the current consensus is 970's successor will at least match 980ti performance?

If they manage to also drop power consumption by half that will make for quite a small and efficient mini itx 4k build!

Seems 4k tv's are also dropping in price drastically and what with 4k blu-rays releasing early next year it would seem 2016 will be the year of 4k!

Caporegime

Wow, that article is truly horrible in every way. Woeful english, appears to lift entire sentences from the already rubbish wccfpoop article a day earlier and gets key things wrong.

It's saying using 60W for 1.2TB/s bandwidth is inefficient because HBM is an inefficient structure claiming it will increase TDP by 60W... it uses 60W to produce 1.2TB while the freaking image they included shows current GDDR5 is using around 70W to provide around 300GB/s... sure less power for literally 4 times the bandwidth is entirely inefficient.

bru

bru

Soldato
No idea what translator they used in that article, but it wasn't a very good one.

I understand that English probably isn't their first language, but if you are going to post something up online in English, you could at least try to form coherent sentences.

Not really any new info there anyway.

Soldato
Big Pascal when it lands will be a beast with performance about 180% of current GM200 cards and the Titan versions will pack 16gb of VRAM.
Are they still naming the very high end card TITAN? I wonder if the newcomer will arrive in february/march and the 980/970 successor in may followed by a Ti version sometime afterward?

Soldato
Woeful english,

:p

No idea what translator they used in that article, but it wasn't a very good one.

I understand that English probably isn't their first language,
but if you are going to post something up online in English,
you could at least try to form coherent sentences.

Not really any new info there anyway.

About as coherent as some posts on here :)

As for no new info, the whole thread is guess work at best.

Soldato
OP
It's possible Nvidia might reveal some Pascal info at CES. Should be around 2AM UK time. Will update with anything relevant tomorrow.

AMD's Polaris and Nvidia's Pascal.. 2016 is going to finally bring some exiting new hardware !

Associate
That presentation was interesting but slightly akward and boring (jensun repeating "how many gigapixels Migel?") at times *sigh* better start saving for a Drive PX 2 then! Maybe I can find somewhere to slot six Titans instead...

NVidia Driveworks? Inception layers? 150 MacBook Pros? Hard, hard, hard, deep, deep, deep? Hopefully there's some funny gifs when I wake up :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom