• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Caporegime
http://www.nvidia.com/object/ces2016.html

First time I have watched this but really interesting. Self driving cars are something that really does interest me and truly incredible how it has to be done in real-time. Nvidia certainly have a passion at this as well.

It is a very fast moving tech, several big players throwing some serious money at this. The OEm are extremely optimistic, talking up 2020 for commercial self-driving cars. Realistically things will take longer, laregly due to legal issues.

The current production Teslas already have amazing self-drive capabilities, been in one where you really just let the steering wheel go and can rad a book (technically illegal).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yCAZWdqX_Y

Soldato
No I do not think he does, It is getting stupid now. Disagree all you like but the personal attacks seem to be coming a bit to common from certain posters and using the old I put a smiley face does not protect anyone.

Personal attacks? please specify what personal attacks i have made and i shall send you a picture of a field.

Plus please divulge in your infinite wisdom how it was a personal attack? it was a daft joke that was meant to be corny as a field of maize.

Soldato
http://www.nvidia.com/object/ces2016.html

First time I have watched this but really interesting. Self driving cars are something that really does interest me and truly incredible how it has to be done in real-time. Nvidia certainly have a passion at this as well.

It is interesting but for me i am more interested in the accident avoidance and safety features that this tech will bring. I am not sure i could sit easy with a machine driving.

On the plus side having a car that drives you home from the pub might be useful. The Alcohol would take care of the machine driving part due to not giving a damn lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is a very fast moving tech, several big players throwing some serious money at this. The OEm are extremely optimistic, talking up 2020 for commercial self-driving cars. Realistically things will take longer, laregly due to legal issues.

The current production Teslas already have amazing self-drive capabilities, been in one where you really just let the steering wheel go and can rad a book (technically illegal).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yCAZWdqX_Y

From what i have read, the majority of car accidents with self driving cars were caused by other road users.

I think in the reports they stated that the cars themselves don't respond how humans do. so it catches people out at times.

Caporegime
It is interesting but for me i am more interested in the accident avoidance and safety features that this tech will bring. I am not sure i could sit easy with a machine driving.

On the plus side having a car that drives you home from the pub might be useful. The Alcohol would take care of the machine driving part due to not giving a damn lol.

The accident avoidance tech is much closer and already widely deployed in premium cars.

Personally I can't wait for driver-less cars, I will be the first customer. I do love driving, but on a mountain road without other road users, dry conditions when I'm fully awake, not the stop and start traffic, cruising the freeway bumper to bumper, avod9ing idiots who pull out without looking, tailing a moron doing 25 in a 40MPH zone for no reason.

So much more productive and travel just would be much easier. Sit in the back of your car on a big comfy seat, open the beer fridge and switch on netflix.

Soldato
The accident avoidance tech is much closer and already widely deployed in premium cars.

Personally I can't wait for driver-less cars, I will be the first customer. I do love driving, but on a mountain road without other road users, dry conditions when I'm fully awake, not the stop and start traffic, cruising the freeway bumper to bumper, avod9ing idiots who pull out without looking, tailing a moron doing 25 in a 40MPH zone for no reason.

So much more productive and travel just would be much easier. Sit in the back of your car on a big comfy seat, open the beer fridge and switch on netflix.

It does sound good when you put it like that especially the beer and back seat :D:D:D

Don
Personal attacks? please specify what personal attacks i have made and i shall send you a picture of a field.

Plus please divulge in your infinite wisdom how it was a personal attack? it was a daft joke that was meant to be corny as a field of maize.

It is obvious that D.P is not seeing it as a joke by the emotive he used. There comes a time when it best to leave things as what you may intend as a joke stops been a joke to those it is directed at.

The personal attacks was not directed at you specifically, I should have made it clear but there are a few threads with posters getting close. I am all for discussion, disagreement, joke, humour etc.

Caporegime

It would take some getting used to but I am happy to jump in my car after a 10 hour beer session and let it drive me home :D

I imagine the testing would be massive before allowing it to go on sale and Volvo have a massive record with safety, so I would feel pretty confident by the time it does go on sale. I would think a bit rich for my blood with the first iterations though.

Caporegime

I'd love to see how they coped (or didn't) on our narrow, badly-surfaced, winding country lanes.

I strongly suspect these things will be limited to A-roads with at least two lanes.

Which means you won't be taking one to the beach, and most places in Cornwall will be off-limits.

Caporegime
Lots of partners, but sounds like Audi spent a year with Nvidia and apparently are dumping Nvidia across the board for Qualcomm from 2017(not sure if they make the switch some point this year). With Tegra based products the question will be how long they stick around. They had loads of partners in phones and tablets till people actually used Tegra in 1-2 generations of products before they all stopped wanting to work with Nvidia any more.

Do you have anything to back this up please? Having watched the CES feed with Nvidia, I remembered you saying this but can't find anything.

Never mind, I found it and it is for the infotainment center.

Soldato
Do you have anything to back this up please? Having watched the CES feed with Nvidia, I remembered you saying this but can't find anything.

Never mind, I found it and it is for the infotainment center.

Its more then just the infotainment center company's are dropping NVidia for ADAS as well. See http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwcorp/info_center/en/news/2016/01/Mobileye.html

Mobileye has a 100% win of designs they bid on in a single year (2014) and 100% win rate on highly contested FCAM contracts. They are dominating the ADAS market. While NVidia are losing contract after contract.

Back
Top Bottom