• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Caporegime
I could give two ***** about car GPU's. This is a gaming graphics card forum.

Then don't respond to posts about car GPUs.:rolleyes:

You asked for a link about quote stating that Nvidia will be shipping Drive PX2 in bulk Q4, I provided that link now you magically want a link about gaming GPUs instead of drive PX2 which was under discussion?

If you don't give two ***** about car GPU's then don't ask for links about them, gees.

P.B

P.B

Soldato
That article sounds promising but I doubt it will be a massive again probably 15% at most over a 980ti kinda like the 980 vs 780ri but with some extra gains from the new node and new memory.

Soldato
So NV demoed a fake, as we all knew deep down already.

My god, made in the 3rd week of 2015, GDDR5, did they really think this would fool anyone? If it really is illegal to lie at an event like CES, I wonder what heat will come down.
They didn't demo a fake or lie as they clearly said the demos being shown are run on a desktop PC via a Titan card(s).

What ever happened to the Tegra X1 from last years CES? Are we going to see Pascal Tegra Products before the X1 tablet and other products?

Last edited:
Caporegime
That article sounds promising but I doubt it will be a massive again probably 15% at most over a 980ti kinda like the 980 vs 780ri but with some extra gains from the new node and new memory.

I don't know, i reckon the jump will be bigger this time around. I reckon the GP104/980 successor will be a good 30% maybe more than a 980Ti

bru

bru

Soldato
Much more to the point is when Raja Koduri held up a small card for the press in the Polaris demo press conference, how do we know that was an actual working sample, just because they had a supposed working sample in the closed case, showing the power usage figures. It could have been half a dozen hamsters running on little wheels powering the dam thing.
Why aren't AMD under suspicion for cruelty to hamsters, nobody cares about mock up designs being shown at a trade show, I mean how dare they, nobody has ever done that before, but cruelty to hamsters now that is another matter entirely.

:eek:

Caporegime
Much more to the point is when Raja Koduri held up a small card for the press in the Polaris demo press conference, how do we know that was an actual working sample, just because they had a supposed working sample in the closed case, showing the power usage figures. It could have been half a dozen hamsters running on little wheels powering the dam thing.
Why aren't AMD under suspicion for cruelty to hamsters, nobody cares about mock up designs being shown at a trade show, I mean how dare they, nobody has ever done that before, but cruelty to hamsters now that is another matter entirely.

:eek:

Having a real system that you know, is dramatically more power efficient than anything available on 28nm while actually performing at the same level as a card using almost three times the power is a pretty damn good indication there was a working card inside the system. Seeing as wafers don't tend to be lets say 10mm in radius, but 300mm, it's highly unlikely that is the sole working Polaris sample.

I may be wrong, but I don't think hamsters draw power so the power monitor would likely not be showing as high as 86W without a real working GPU in there.

Soldato
Much more to the point is when Raja Koduri held up a small card for the press in the Polaris demo press conference, how do we know that was an actual working sample,
From what I've read, Polaris was demoed behind closed doors for members of the press back in December and they were allowed to get a lot more touchy-feely with it. Ryan Shrout was one of those who mentioned that he'd already seen it behind closed doors in December, long before CES.

Associate
I echo that, can't stand them as a company and would rather see gpu tech pushed than phones where there really doesn't need any more advancement in this area. Need to focus on batteries more.

I really dislike Apple too.

My home is a totally Apple free zone.:D

+1 And same for the second.

I feel like there is still hope for humanity lol. I'd say my mother too, but the only reason she bought an Android tablet (something by Samsung, I dunno what exactly) was because iPad was too expensive. Even though she was going on about buying one beforehand. When the world ends, that will be the day Apple manages to do budget products too.

Yeah this is my worry as well, especially with it basically being a 2 generational leap in one (Skipped 20nm, so 2 die shrinks + Finfet). I.e the new midrange is very likely to outperform the older high end 980 Ti, but will be priced in that same 'high end' bracket, rather than replacing the 970 tier. With the hook being lower power consumption. Meanwhile we'll have to wait another 6 - 12 months for the real deal 980 Ti replacement which offers much higher performance which we should have got at the start..

The responsibility is AMD's also, because if they have nothing to counter basically Nvidia can just get away with it lol. Maybe AMD / Nvidia are happy to drip feed us...

Meh, get ready for the milking !! :p:D

+1

Generally what I expect to be the case. I got a lot of heat elsewhere *ahem* Reddit *cough* for being optimistic about the performance gains with big Pascal, but generally even if the performance were to be that good... Nvidia wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot by pricing it the way we consumers want it to be priced. The cynic in me says it'll be priced around the existing cards, with adjustments to give the impression of progress. Maybe the 1070 will be priced closer to the current 980 and so forth. Or perhaps worse?

AMD needs to shove its foot in the door and throw something nice through the gap to keep Nvidia on their toes. Or I'll be buying a 2nd 970 instead of the big Pascal/Polaris.

To me, a significant increase in performance exists if it improves upon the current price to performance. Which is why I wasn't amused at AMDs 300 series, since they just slotted it in around existing cards. Even if the 300 series was all new chips but with the same prices and same performance, I would have felt the same.

No matter how better the performance gains are, if it ain't priced well, then why should we be bother getting hyped for it? It's not like salaries are paying more now than they were a few years ago (heck it's not like getting a job in the first place is any easier).

Sorry if I've rambled on a bit, I've not posted in a while (but have been lurking).

Soldato
The full fat pascal will be more than 50% more powerful than the 980Ti I reckon.
Should easily be. 980Ti is a good 50% more powerful than a 780Ti and that's on the same process.

HBM is gonna give it much better high resolution performance, too.

Even if that's all it is, an x70 card matching a 980Ti is pretty exciting for those of us who dont buy high end cards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom