• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
Wow! Some very sour amd users in this thread.

If the titan x1 is £1000 you can bet your house that the amd fury x1 will be £1000 or more, it depends who gets thier card out first which will set the benchmark for the other brands pricing.

Caporegime
Wow! Some very sour amd users in this thread.

If the titan x1 is £1000 you can bet your house that the amd fury x1 will be £1000 or more, it depends who gets thier card out first which will set the benchmark for the other brands pricing.

I don't think people scoffing at a £1000 Titan are going to be impressed with a £1000 Fury.

Or do you think we're all so blindly partisan that AMD=good, nV=bad?

Soldato
I don't think people scoffing at a £1000 Titan are going to be impressed with a £1000 Fury.

Or do you think we're all so blindly partisan that AMD=good, nV=bad?

I just think one will follow the other. Unlike 5 years ago.

Titan x was £800. Fury x was £550 and 980ti was £550.

IF the new offerings from either amd or nvidia are a grand or even £800 the other will be a grand or £800 too. Unless amd or nvidia plan on giving us a bargain! Which i dont see happening.

I will add that amd used to be similar performance for cheaper at the high end, but now its similar performance for the same price.

I dont think anyone thought of amd as the cheapo brand ( apart from some individiuals, but this mentality of we are a premium brand now will lose them more customers if the prices are the same as nvidias already high prices imo.

Even nvidia surprised a lot of people with the price of the 970 on release which was the must have card untill the vram misold saga which i am very surprised we dont get cold callers from solicitors stating ' were you mis sold a gtx 970? Maybe we can help'

Last edited:
Caporegime

The roadmap they claim literally has question marks next to all the dates. This is a rumour mill roadmap, as in tech sites or forums came up with their own made up roadmap based on rumours. You will never in the history of the universe, get an official roadmap from a company that questions everything new on it. Everything else that link suggests is made up.

I will never for the life of me work out why people read this stuff as fact. Not least when it's so obvious they are trolling for hits and the rumours randomly get made up right after any real news. So Samsung officially announce HBM2 goes into production and later that same day all the usual troll tech sites are making up rumours about how close that means some product is.

Nvidia aren't talking, they released no information the day Samsung made their announcement. It's a combination of people on forums with no clue who think 1 + 1 = eleventy billion, and tech sites who use any excuse to get hits. Samsung say something about graphics memory, throw around massive amounts of rumours.

For instance GDDR5x, Micron talk about it, suddenly it's on every single card that isn't HBM in graphics cards moving forward. Not sure that Nvidia or AMD have said much if anything about it but before either said anything everyone was convinced it had totally replaced gddr5 despite not being in production yet. Simple fact, Nvidia are still showing Maxwell when talking about Pascal products, they've shown no cores let alone working demos or full cards. They are way behind and it sounds quite probably they haven't got the first working silicon back yet. April is no chance at all, I think August will be pushing it.

Associate
The roadmap they claim literally has question marks next to all the dates. This is a rumour mill roadmap, as in tech sites or forums came up with their own made up roadmap based on rumours. You will never in the history of the universe, get an official roadmap from a company that questions everything new on it. Everything else that link suggests is made up.

I will never for the life of me work out why people read this stuff as fact. Not least when it's so obvious they are trolling for hits and the rumours randomly get made up right after any real news. So Samsung officially announce HBM2 goes into production and later that same day all the usual troll tech sites are making up rumours about how close that means some product is.

Nvidia aren't talking, they released no information the day Samsung made their announcement. It's a combination of people on forums with no clue who think 1 + 1 = eleventy billion, and tech sites who use any excuse to get hits. Samsung say something about graphics memory, throw around massive amounts of rumours.

For instance GDDR5x, Micron talk about it, suddenly it's on every single card that isn't HBM in graphics cards moving forward. Not sure that Nvidia or AMD have said much if anything about it but before either said anything everyone was convinced it had totally replaced gddr5 despite not being in production yet. Simple fact, Nvidia are still showing Maxwell when talking about Pascal products, they've shown no cores let alone working demos or full cards. They are way behind and it sounds quite probably they haven't got the first working silicon back yet. April is no chance at all, I think August will be pushing it.

Ding Ding - as I've said tech industry itself has said Nvidia min is 1 quarter behind AMD on the nodes; more likely 2 quarters. That's small pascal; big pascal we won't see until 4th quarter; more likely 2017. Nvidia has never; ever; ever been good doing node shrinks; then add in a new memory and we all know how that will go.

They will be late; very late with big pascal.

Soldato
Ding Ding - as I've said tech industry itself has said Nvidia min is 1 quarter behind AMD on the nodes; more likely 2 quarters. That's small pascal; big pascal we won't see until 4th quarter; more likely 2017. Nvidia has never; ever; ever been good doing node shrinks; then add in a new memory and we all know how that will go.

They will be late; very late with big pascal.

Nvidia have told you this?

Link please!

Soldato
I think the smallest delay in Nvidia getting to a new node in the last 7 years or so was the GK104 when compared to Tahiti which was around three months.

So,I am not sure why people are all of a sudden surprised if Nvidia is a few months behind AMD in this regard!

Associate
I think the smallest delay in Nvidia getting to a new node in the last 7 years or so was the GK104 when compared to Tahiti which was around three months.

So,I am not sure why people are all of a sudden surprised if Nvidia is a few months behind AMD in this regard!

Cat that was a small chip; think about last time they did a node change and new memory.....9+ months delayed because they couldn't get working chips.....it was late; hot.....Nvidia never been good even with small chips and node shrink and they are dire with their big chips; new node and new memory.

Don
Cat that was a small chip; think about last time they did a node change and new memory.....9+ months delayed because they couldn't get working chips.....it was late; hot.....Nvidia never been good even with small chips and node shrink and they are dire with their big chips; new node and new memory.

So the past governs the future? We know nothing yet.

Associate
So the past governs the future? We know nothing yet.

actually when it comes to nodes; yes. They've always been behind AMD when it comes to switch to a new node - this is a fact. They have not brought anyone new in to help with node shrink. Again fact. Industry that's watching; has already said Nvidia is at least 1 quarter behind more likely 2 quarters behind AMD on node shrink and that's with small pascal.

Classic Nvidia trick is when they have nothing is to talk about next products coming; now we're starting to hear about Volta; means pascal is no where to be seen.....

Caporegime
Nvidia have told you this?

Link please!

Can we have a link to this two months thing. You are posting dozens of times in this thread saying Pascal not far away, only 2 months to find out. You consistently post these one liners saying info is really soon. Where is your proof Nvidia are going to launch a card or release any information about a specific card at GDC?

Conversely, there are hundreds of news stories about when Samsung started producing 14nm chips, when the improved version when into production, that they have better yields than TSMC, that TSMC have had delays, that their yields are bad, of several massive customers switching from TSMC to Samsung because they are significantly behind.

AMD has had two cores back, tested, got to the point of driver stability they can show demos to journalists, Nvidia hasn't reached the point of showing just a non working but real Pascal and is again resorting to faking a product on stage. You don't fake a product unless you want to mislead people over how far away you are. The last time Nvidia faked products on stage, they were 6 months behind where they claimed to be.

The process industry as a whole agrees TSMC is 3-6 months behind on finfet, the stage Nvidia are at with showing cards to journalists suggests they are a minimum 3 months behind AMD, Nvidia resorting to faking cards(based on previous history) suggests they are 3-6 months behind AMD.

What are the signs Nvidia is close.... despite Nvidia saying nothing of the sort, Nvidia guys are claiming Nvidia will give us loads of information at GDC.

Caporegime
AMD have demonstrated a working product. Nvidia never like to be outdone and they boast new stuff waving it about at every opportunity. If they have it.
They would not let AMD get away with comparing their new tech to Nvidia's old tech. If they could they would respond to that. They have nothing to respond with and AMD know it.

Caporegime
AMD have demonstrated a working product. Nvidia never like to be outdone and they boast new stuff waving it about at every opportunity. If they have it.
They would not let AMD get away with comparing their new tech to Nvidia's old tech. If they could they would respond to that. They have nothing to respond with and AMD know it.

I loved the fanboy excuse of Nvidia didn't show real Pascal cores as they would have very few working samples as if that was a genuine excuse.

Break that down a bit, if they have cores back that means they would have made a run of likely min 5 wafers, probably 10 or 20. If you have so few cores working you can't spare one for a big game conference you have a major problem with low yields which would effect when you can launch. Regardless of if you have high or low yields... you will have multiple dead Pascal chips because that is the nature of silicon production. With multiple dead chips they somehow couldn't stick some dead ones on a PX2 pcb to make a realistic final card(though non working) to show up on stage? The only inference to be made from showing non Pascal chips but claiming they were Pascal is that they don't have Pascal silicon back yet.

If they had wafers of Pascal back they have zero excuse not to show a real Pascal on stage. The competition doesn't learn anything from seeing a chip on a board, except if it's real or not. If they had Pascal back from the fab they would definitely have ample chips, working or not, to stick on a card and parade around a trade show.

Mobster
Soldato

lol

Back
Top Bottom