• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The Official Nvidia GeForce 'Pascal' Thread - for general gossip and discussions **

Soldato
I see most of this thread is the typical sad -

"Well you said this and then you said that and I said that which you replied with this after I replied with that after you said this over here after saying I said that over there just before you said that I said this"

:rolleyes:

bru

bru

Soldato
That is some serious interpretation, AMD did not say between June 30th and Sept 8th, you did. Also you didn't say 'before September' in that context. You said it was a safe bet Nvidia wouldn't release, till AMD do, before September. You were implying AMD wouldn't launch before September, not that they will as you are now claiming.

You also missed the part where they'll be available for laptops as well. Laptops have a way longer validation/testing and time to market period than desktop, always. it would make sense that if desktop Polaris was ready by April/May then mobile would be ready by June/July.

So waiting for April 4th GTC isn't sensible then, its not as if NVidia are known for releasing new cards at this very time of year and if they don't you know it's a safe bet that they wont be launching till AMD do before September, so it's safe to buy a 980ti now.

Well DM you can interpret what I typed anyway you like, but to me it says that AMD will be launching before September (notice there is no comma between do and before.)

As for missing the part about laptops. Well when is a Laptop launched ?

Is it when a laptop is announced and we are told when we can buy it, or when OEM manufacturers get GPU/CPU's to build the laptops.

It is pretty certain that any company selling unannounced/unlaunched AMD GPU/CPU's before AMD have such an announcement/Launch would get a good telling off.

Associate
Hi, i read through this topic and absorbed as much information i could in a short time.
The rumors of new GPU that will be a LOT more powerful has changed my plans for upgrade. I wanted to get 980ti, but i decided to go for maybe used gtx 970 till the new one comes out.
Am i stupid or it vaguely makes sense ?

Caporegime
If the 970 will do everything you want then maybe wait, but if you need performance now, get a 980ti.

The first new GPU won't be a lot more powerful than the ti. It will be a few percent faster. In general gaming you will probably struggle to notice the difference. You're not going to see much difference between 100fps and 110fps. Either will play as smooth as butter.

Last edited:
Soldato
If the 970 will do everything you want then maybe wait, but if you need performance now, get a 980ti.

The first new GPU won't be a lot more powerful than the ti. It will be a few percent faster. In general gaming you will probably struggle to notice the difference. You're not going to see much difference between 100fps and 110fps. Either will play as smooth as butter.

Sorry really haven't been keeping up with the pascal cards. But I thought the pascal titan was the next new card? So it aint going to be much better than a 980ti?

Soldato
I assume it likely to be titan version of pascal then 1070 (equivalent of 970) 1080 (980) and then TI versions later.
I am still waiting to upgrade to one of this cards, People say I am crazy but I am in no rush. I am playing older games I like and when the card finally comes out all the AA stuff currently awesome that I want to try will be dirt cheap.
Its a magic circle to wait for a new card but I usually get a higher range of a certain model range and that lasts for 2-3 years rather then waiting for a new upgrade every year.

Only thing I wish Nvidia would release some normal dates and not do some shady "possibly in 2H of 1Q of 3rd sunrise of 2016"
But then again they want to make sure they sell as much 980Ti as they can before the new architecture hits the shelf and for that we cannot blame them.

Last edited:
Associate
I assume it likely to be titan version of pascal then 1070 (equivalent of 970) 1080 (980) and then TI versions later.
I am still waiting to upgrade to one of this cards, People say I am crazy but I am in no rush. I am playing older games I like and when the card finally comes out all the AA stuff currently awesome that I want to try will be dirt cheap.
Its a magic circle to wait for a new card but I usually get a higher range of a certain model range and that lasts for 2-3 years rather then waiting for a new upgrade every year.

Only thing I wish Nvidia would release some normal dates and not do some shady "possibly in 2H of 1Q of 3rd sunrise of 2016"
But then again they want to make sure they sell as much 980Ti as they can before the new architecture hits the shelf and for that we cannot blame them.

Would be nice if that assumption was accurate. I fear I will be waiting until 2017 for my replacements. That being said, my rig is still more than capable of playing the games I like at the quality I like, so maybe waiting will be good for me.

Soldato
Would be nice if that assumption was accurate. I fear I will be waiting until 2017 for my replacements. That being said, my rig is still more than capable of playing the games I like at the quality I like, so maybe waiting will be good for me.

I am hoping that Nvidia will follow their release trend before i loose my patience :D my gtx 570 is pretty crap:D:D

Read an old article or something? The 950 launched in August last year.
Technically he was correct :D he didn't specify a year, and the 950 did came out before pascal and also in August :p

Caporegime

Read an old article or something? The 950 launched in August last year.

http://videocardz.com/58251/nvidia-working-on-new-geforce-gtx-950

Jsut realised, they got the launch date wrong for the 950, says August 2016, its the 950 SE/LP thats coming, supposedly in March :p

EDIT:

Found more :- http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-950-se-rumor/

Last edited:
Caporegime
I said earlier in the thread, Nvidia have taped out and started producing new low power Maxwell chips for mobile. To me this suggests that one, their low power Pascal is a significant length of time away and two, that they know they need another bin with everything they can muster to fight AMD who are going to win back a lot of mobile market share with a long lead in low power mobile chips. These appear to be minimise the damage products.

Soldato
5 years is a hell of a long time to build a PC for. For example, 4K PC gaming was unheard of 5 years ago.
Not really I build all my PCs to last 5 years and longer. My current PC is 5 years old and had 1 minor GPU upgrade in that lifetime and runs everything great. Apart from the GPU I see no reason to upgrade components more often then every 5 years. In fact with the way things are going I don't see any reason to upgrade it again any time soon.

Although the term 4k wasn’t really about 5 years ago I built the PC around a resolution of 2560x1440. Perhaps my buying habits are different from other people. I prefer to buy a very high end PC's then keep it for 5+ years perhaps with 1 GPU upgrade half way though the life span. Over building a lower end new computer every 2 years at a cheaper price. But you can very much build a computer to last 5 years. A high end computer from 5 years ago with a high end SLI GPU or a single GPU upgraded over that time frame can run all of todays games at 2560x1440.

Like Skyforger I find its much better to build a monster PC to last 5 years and I believe its much better value for money.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's your spec that lasted you five years and what was your small GPU upgrade out of interest? I'm hoping I can do the same with my PC, I've had it a year, but I am inclined to upgrade to pascal.

Soldato
Well mines lasted 4 years, 2500K @ 4.4 with a h80, 8gig ram and the only upgrade i did was go from my 5870 to my 680 3 years back. If I stuck a 980ti in this it'd still run most things top draw, just waiting on pascal and broadwell-e then i'll be doing another system which hopefully lasts 4-5 years with a graphics card upgrade in between.

Associate
Not really I build all my PCs to last 5 years and longer. My current PC is 5 years old and had 1 minor GPU upgrade in that lifetime and runs everything great. Apart from the GPU I see no reason to upgrade components more often then every 5 years. In fact with the way things are going I don't see any reason to upgrade it again any time soon.

Although the term 4k wasn’t really about 5 years ago I built the PC around a resolution of 2560x1440. Perhaps my buying habits are different from other people. I prefer to buy a very high end PC's then keep it for 5+ years perhaps with 1 GPU upgrade half way though the life span. Over building a lower end new computer every 2 years at a cheaper price. But you can very much build a computer to last 5 years. A high end computer from 5 years ago with a high end SLI GPU or a single GPU upgraded over that time frame can run all of todays games at 2560x1440.

Like Skyforger I find its much better to build a monster PC to last 5 years and I believe its much better value for money.

If you're into building monster PCs you're probably not the kind of person that waits 5 years to upgrade.

FFT: 5 years ago the top spec card and CPU was a GTX 580 (590 was released at the end of March 2011) and Intel's 2600K.

GPU comparison of top end 5 years ago and top end now:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1444?vs=1496

And equivalent for CPU (although if you only play games then this probably doesn't have as big an impact):

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/287?vs=1543

Back
Top Bottom