***The Official OcUK Lego Thread***

Soldato
Similar to the above, it was pretty much my best xmas ever when I got the 8860. I ruined it though, built it once on xmas day then somehow lost the instructions so could never build it again (my best guess is that they were still in the box when that got thrown away). Once I got my Lego back from my mums a few years ago tracking down instructions on the internet and rebuilding it was the first thing I did. Since then I seem to have picked up a couple more as I seem to have at least three now.

8860, 8865 and 8880 are ones I'm trying to revive as I have fond memories of them , 8860 being my first Lego Technic Set when I was a kid. Excellent set, I always remember not quite getting the gearing to run smooth. Even today it still has that clutch click every so often, but it was the start of the super car kits we get today.

I also had quite a few others, such as go karts, arctic explorer sets which had those cool technic figures which were much better IMO then mini figures and I also had forklifts and excavators with pneumatics , even had a tractor - and been slowly trying to find some of them, as I sadly lost pretty much all of them.

Set 8860 I restored a few months back, brought such great memories back. And you can get the set for less then £60 if you shop around, older Technic sets aren't worth much, priceless for memories though.

Soldato
Older Technic and Model Team are the bulk of my collection, got pretty much everything worth having in those areas. Just moved house and decided to break all the models down and bag them for the move so I'll get to relive building them all again now. Will probably take me years to build them all but it'll probably be more enjoyable and definitely a hell of a lot cheaper than buying all the new stuff! Looking forward to rebuilding the 8480 space shuttle as I remember finding that one to be particularly satisfying first time around, there's so much going on in there.

Might treat myself to a better condition 8865, was probably my favorite set as a kid but mine was terribly abused and the bricks aren't in great shape. Didn't have 8880 at the time as it came out at the point I was starting to grow out of Lego, got 2 now and used to have both the main and alternate models built and displayed.

Soldato
Older Technic and Model Team are the bulk of my collection, got pretty much everything worth having in those areas. Just moved house and decided to break all the models down and bag them for the move so I'll get to relive building them all again now. Will probably take me years to build them all but it'll probably be more enjoyable and definitely a hell of a lot cheaper than buying all the new stuff! Looking forward to rebuilding the 8480 space shuttle as I remember finding that one to be particularly satisfying first time around, there's so much going on in there.

Might treat myself to a better condition 8865, was probably my favorite set as a kid but mine was terribly abused and the bricks aren't in great shape. Didn't have 8880 at the time as it came out at the point I was starting to grow out of Lego, got 2 now and used to have both the main and alternate models built and displayed.

Yes my 8865 wasn't very well looked after and was taken apart and rebuilt a lot, and then thrown into a box of other stuff - i've got to make some serious bricklink orders to get it back to pristine condition.

As for 8480 - thats a lot harder to come by now, and one of the more expensive older Technic sets, and I never had that one.

Associate
8860, 8865 and 8880 are ones I'm trying to revive as I have fond memories of them , 8860 being my first Lego Technic Set when I was a kid. Excellent set, I always remember not quite getting the gearing to run smooth. Even today it still has that clutch click every so often, but it was the start of the super car kits we get today.

I also had quite a few others, such as go karts, arctic explorer sets which had those cool technic figures which were much better IMO then mini figures and I also had forklifts and excavators with pneumatics , even had a tractor - and been slowly trying to find some of them, as I sadly lost pretty much all of them.

Set 8860 I restored a few months back, brought such great memories back. And you can get the set for less then £60 if you shop around, older Technic sets aren't worth much, priceless for memories though.

Showing my age, but my first car chassis was 853. Very fond memories. Also had the tractor (851) which was a really nice build and a fun model with the different implements.

I always wanted the 8860, mainly for the (rear) suspension, eventually bought one off a school mate but it had so many bits missing.

They were heady days. Although in terms of the models themselves I won't say better days- modern Technic sets pack in so much functionality and the studless stuff holds together so much better. Still excites me. I'm in the middle of sorting and categorising all my lego, then I'll finish off my MOC single seat racer. I have some ideas for a tiny tiny gearbox. It's all in the shift forks....

Soldato
34821002_386817278504207_5272357593208061952_n.jpg

Finally finished my Lego Porsche using the modifications on Rebrickable.. Come on a long way since set 8860 back in the 80's.

Bugatti next.

I remember getting my Car Chassis for Christmas. I can't remember the year, but I do remember how much it cost: £26!

Soldato
I remember getting my Car Chassis for Christmas. I can't remember the year, but I do remember how much it cost: £26!

https://brickset.com/sets/8860-1/Car-Chassis has it listed as $59 new, so £26 sounds about right, and that would be in today value around £125 using a what its worth then and now calculator.

668 parts for £125 today, yet we get sets with double this for same sorta money or if you shop around you can get the Lego Porsche GT3 for £150 - £180 which was over 2700 parts. And they say Lego is getting more expensive?

In fact Brickset has 8860 as 8.8c per part and the GT3 as 11c per part. Its not that big an increase . Brings it into perspective with some sets on price. Average 2cents per piece more from 1980 - 2018.

Soldato
So I think its been 30 years since my last Lego set..

It my Birthday today..

And the Mrs has got me the Technic Bucket Wheel excavator. So I can now pretend to be a mix of Parker Schnabel and Tony Beets... Hopefully not a Todd Hoffman..

The girl did good!!

Soldato
https://brickset.com/sets/8860-1/Car-Chassis has it listed as $59 new, so £26 sounds about right, and that would be in today value around £125 using a what its worth then and now calculator.

668 parts for £125 today, yet we get sets with double this for same sorta money or if you shop around you can get the Lego Porsche GT3 for £150 - £180 which was over 2700 parts. And they say Lego is getting more expensive?

In fact Brickset has 8860 as 8.8c per part and the GT3 as 11c per part. Its not that big an increase . Brings it into perspective with some sets on price. Average 2cents per piece more from 1980 - 2018.

One of the reasons I see "pence per part" as fairly meaningless is that modern sets typically have large quantities of fiddly little parts that bump up the part count. The older sets were a much simpler construction and typically used fewer, but larger, parts.

Soldato
So I think its been 30 years since my last Lego set..

It my Birthday today..

And the Mrs has got me the Technic Bucket Wheel excavator. So I can now pretend to be a mix of Parker Schnabel and Tony Beets... Hopefully not a Todd Hoffman..

The girl did good!!

Great set, enjoy, thats one of the bigger Technic sets.

One of the reasons I see "pence per part" as fairly meaningless is that modern sets typically have large quantities of fiddly little parts that bump up the part count. The older sets were a much simpler construction and typically used fewer, but larger, parts.

I agree - its a good point you make.

Soldato
Great set, enjoy, thats one of the bigger Technic sets.

I agree - its a good point you make.
She's a keeper

Its Huuuuuuge.... Took about 18 hours to build. I need to adjust a couple of the cogs its a little juddery.. But loads of fun.....And the chance for just me and the Mrs to do something together that isn't over in 5 mins........lol

So Mac truck next for me I think and the campervan(with lights) for the mrs

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Erm, that's either genius or you'll never see it again lol
Well the father-in-law loves it, mother-in-law's face was priceless.
Unfortunately I now have to go and buy her a facial/spa treatment because apparently you can't "buy something for one but not the other" :rolleyes:

Still, worth it for her face :D
Facial should sort out the wrinkles from the frowning as well :o

Back
Top Bottom