The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Associate
A good way of working out how much a US or Far East product should cost in the UK is to add 30%.

The 30% will then cover VAT (20%) and the other 10% will cover shipping charges, custom charges, admin charges etc. etc.

When I looked at importing a car from the US, it was the US price divided by the exchange rate the bank was willing to give which is never the exchange rate online, always lower and then add 30% to cover taxes and shipping etc. It does typically work out the same for most items imported. :)

So is USD price is $600, it would be for instance as a rough guide:
600 / 1.55 = £387
387 + 30% = £503

Then add Etailor margin.

I will be honest guys the price seems far to good to be true, trying to find out from Philips the deal with this monitor but so far no response as no one seems to know.................

Why does everything cost so much more here, the currency exchange is not exactly fair. If the Pound is week we pay more and people in the US pays the same. If the Dollar is strong, we pay more and the people in the US pays the same. Doesn't matter what happens with the Dollar people in the US will always pay the same and we have to pay more. And why should we have to pay 10% more anyway, I get the 20%, but that 10% is still unfair. But I guess we can walk down the street without being shot, so it's not all bad.

OcUK Staff
Why does everything cost so much more here, the currency exchange is not exactly fair. If the Pound is week we pay more and people in the US pays the same. If the Dollar is strong, we pay more and the people in the US pays the same. Doesn't matter what happens with the Dollar people in the US will always pay the same and we have to pay more. And why should we have to pay 10% more anyway, I get the 20%, but that 10% is still unfair. But I guess we can walk down the street without being shot, so it's not all bad.

Well when the GBP was strong we benefit, I did I got a supercharger kit for £3200 landed in the UK, that same kit would now cost me just shy of £5000. I doubt the GBP will ever be that strong again. :(

If the GBP was that strong, to give you an idea would be around £329.99, saddening isn't it. :(

OcUK Staff
Thanks m8, speaking with Philips seems in whole of December the volume will be tiny. :(

Seeing if we can think of a way to get more here sooner.......

Associate
OK... I just bumped the Benq 30" but damn!!! That looks AMAZING!!!

I quick calculation of PPI, my current monitor is 2560*1600*30" has 100 PPI, this, at 40" will have 110 PP! >.<

Last edited:
Soldato
A good way of working out how much a US or Far East product should cost in the UK is to add 30%.

The 30% will then cover VAT (20%) and the other 10% will cover shipping charges, custom charges, admin charges etc. etc.

When I looked at importing a car from the US, it was the US price divided by the exchange rate the bank was willing to give which is never the exchange rate online, always lower and then add 30% to cover taxes and shipping etc. It does typically work out the same for most items imported. :)

So is USD price is $600, it would be for instance as a rough guide:
600 / 1.55 = £387
387 + 30% = £503

Then add Etailor margin.

I will be honest guys the price seems far to good to be true, trying to find out from Philips the deal with this monitor but so far no response as no one seems to know.................

You wouldn't be buying it at US retail prices though...

Soldato
It sort of is, it's a 40", which is TV size. The panel is better than a TV though.

32" was a 'TV size' until rather recently as well. I see where you're coming from with the size thing - it is huge for a monitor. But of course the ports, picture setup and relative lack of TV-like processing differentiate this from TVs.

Soldato
It sort of is, it's a 40", which is TV size. The panel is better than a TV though.

It isn't, otherwise small "TVs" wouldn't be "TVs". The differentiating factor between a monitor and a TV is that TVs have tuners. If it doesn't have a tuner, it isn't a TV, regardless of its size.

Back
Top Bottom