The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Associate
I've been looking from the sidelines of this thread, but I can't wait anymore, so I'm just gonna leave this here:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com...e-thread-FW-150-99-for-6-7-8-9000-Series-2012

It's the support forum for Philips products, and that specific subforum is for 2012 HDTV models (I have the 42PFL6907T, myself).

Now, what I'm trying to say is that if any bugs arise or features are missing, or anything similar, don't rely on ANYTHING being fixed by Philips. Philips is a prime example of WYSIWYG ("what you see is what you get"). Once they have your money, they don't really care about you. Their customer support is quite frankly disgusting. And if they forward you to their local customer care, be prepared to REALLY explain the problem in the simplest of terms, and have ample proof to show for it, as otherwise they will quickly resort to the "it's not a bug, it's a feature". Either they have zero capacity to understand anything technological, or then they're just pretending to be two-bit simpletons. (I have personal experience of this, as they tried to tell me that the flawed color gradient in the Computer mode is a feature, not a bug. Well, before that they actually tried to claim that they didn't see any difference in the sample images I provided. Here's direct link to the discussion of it: http://www.supportforum.philips.com...9000-Series-2012&p=80111&viewfull=1#post80111)

And I think I'm one of the luckier ones, as many of the known bugs don't affect my typical usage scenario. On the support forum, we've been waiting for over two years for Philips to fix the bugs. During this time, they've actually made things worse. They have even broken features that were working before. I'm not kidding. More and more people are now asking for directions on how to downgrade their firmware to something that was released a year ago, because they are so fed up with waiting for Philips to release yet another firmware that doesn't actually fix anything.

And now it seems they're playing the waiting game; staying silent until everybody gets tired of complaining. Unfortunately for them, I'm a prime example of the 3/11-rule. And I intend to make sure that the "11" will hear of them. (check spoiler for explanation for 3/11)

3/11-rule is already from pre-internet age. It states that the average person will tell good news to about 3 of his/her friends, and bad news to 11 of his/her friends. Once the internet got more commonplace, the amount of people has increased rapidly, but the ratio stays about the same. In essence, people tend to be more vocal about their bad experiences.
So think of this as a warning. You have now been warned that buying a Philips product can make your life miserable. After you have read this (and now you have), you can't say you didn't know, anymore.

[/rant]

Sure, Philips is not the only company doing things wrong. But I believe bad behavior and shady business practice warrants a penalty, and personally, I will deliver it in the form of bad PR.

Soldato
I've been looking from the sidelines of this thread, but I can't wait anymore, so I'm just gonna leave this here:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com...e-thread-FW-150-99-for-6-7-8-9000-Series-2012

It's the support forum for Philips products, and that specific subforum is for 2012 HDTV models (I have the 42PFL6907T, myself).

Now, what I'm trying to say is that if any bugs arise or features are missing, or anything similar, don't rely on ANYTHING being fixed by Philips. Philips is a prime example of WYSIWYG ("what you see is what you get"). Once they have your money, they don't really care about you. Their customer support is quite frankly disgusting. And if they forward you to their local customer care, be prepared to REALLY explain the problem in the simplest of terms, and have ample proof to show for it, as otherwise they will quickly resort to the "it's not a bug, it's a feature". Either they have zero capacity to understand anything technological, or then they're just pretending to be two-bit simpletons. (I have personal experience of this, as they tried to tell me that the flawed color gradient in the Computer mode is a feature, not a bug. Well, before that they actually tried to claim that they didn't see any difference in the sample images I provided. Here's direct link to the discussion of it: http://www.supportforum.philips.com...9000-Series-2012&p=80111&viewfull=1#post80111)

And I think I'm one of the luckier ones, as many of the known bugs don't affect my typical usage scenario. On the support forum, we've been waiting for over two years for Philips to fix the bugs. During this time, they've actually made things worse. They have even broken features that were working before. I'm not kidding. More and more people are now asking for directions on how to downgrade their firmware to something that was released a year ago, because they are so fed up with waiting for Philips to release yet another firmware that doesn't actually fix anything.

And now it seems they're playing the waiting game; staying silent until everybody gets tired of complaining. Unfortunately for them, I'm a prime example of the 3/11-rule. And I intend to make sure that the "11" will hear of them. (check spoiler for explanation for 3/11)

3/11-rule is already from pre-internet age. It states that the average person will tell good news to about 3 of his/her friends, and bad news to 11 of his/her friends. Once the internet got more commonplace, the amount of people has increased rapidly, but the ratio stays about the same. In essence, people tend to be more vocal about their bad experiences.
So think of this as a warning. You have now been warned that buying a Philips product can make your life miserable. After you have read this (and now you have), you can't say you didn't know, anymore.

[/rant]

Sure, Philips is not the only company doing things wrong. But I believe bad behavior and shady business practice warrants a penalty, and personally, I will deliver it in the form of bad PR.

Thanks for that....moving on....as the 16th Feb date approaches..I am looking forward to picking one up for £499 (if what was said previously is to be believed!).

Associate
Looks to be bull, stock is still very tight at present it seems (and OcUK are selling everything they're getting!)

No more bull than they are coming in yesterday.

I called a place I used to work at and they said that if I ordered it would be in on 16th February.

One place I had on order at just over the RRP even marked it as discontinued / obsolete :/

Last edited:
Soldato
Is anyone with the monitor using it to play Assetto Corsa or Project cars? If so can they comment on how they look and whether they get any screen flicker/tearing please.

Associate
Is anyone with the monitor using it to play Assetto Corsa or Project cars? If so can they comment on how they look and whether they get any screen flicker/tearing please.

I have some weirdness with Assetto on my PC.. here's the Video control panel, looks like it's not happy with 3840x2160.. I can't select a resolution

original_owely20150208-18968-105ih5y.

Soldato
The more I use this screen, the more blown away I am by it.

I can really recommend The Vanishing of Ethan Carter in 4K. It looks absolutely stunning with all settings set to high.

Caporegime
The more I use this screen, the more blown away I am by it.

I can really recommend The Vanishing of Ethan Carter in 4K. It looks absolutely stunning with all settings set to high.

Will give it a whirl, thanks :)

PS Love this screen too, blows me away sometimes!! Trouble is we're spoiled now, anything less than pin-sharp just looks crap :p

Associate
Can somebody with a Sky HD+ box test this and post pics on HDMI . as im 90% sure im getting this monitor for gaming monitor with pc and xbox one and tv through Sky HD (multiscreen bedroom) some of you have said it does 1080 fine but Sky is not true 1080p its 1080i and want to know or see if the HD channels looks washed out and not look HD at all.

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom