The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Associate
Can somebody with a Sky HD+ box test this and post pics on HDMI . as im 90% sure im getting this monitor for gaming monitor with pc and xbox one and tv through Sky HD (multiscreen bedroom) some of you have said it does 1080 fine but Sky is not true 1080p its 1080i and want to know or see if the HD channels looks washed out and not look HD at all.

Thanks in advance

Snap lol, I was going to ask similar question. I'm also on the verge of buying this monitor but want to know if i hooked up a cheap 'Set Top Box' (STB will be plugged into areal mains) via HDMI would i be able to watch TV on It?!

Thanks

Associate
My screen is annoying it pops back into 30HZ at least 50% of the time the monitor goes on standby and the only way to fix it is a computer restart. I'm about to just turn that off the screen going into sleep but I'm worried about the "image burn in" the monitor warns you about (seriously I thought that type of BS ended back in the Plasma days). Can anyone confirm who leaves their monitors on all the time that they don't have any burn-in issues? Thanks.

Soldato
Can somebody with a Sky HD+ box test this and post pics on HDMI . as im 90% sure im getting this monitor for gaming monitor with pc and xbox one and tv through Sky HD (multiscreen bedroom) some of you have said it does 1080 fine but Sky is not true 1080p its 1080i and want to know or see if the HD channels looks washed out and not look HD at all.

Thanks in advance

I haven't got a Sky HD+ box, but I am using Freeview HD, which I believe is 1080i also. It's not as crystal clear as it was with my Sharp 32" 1080p TV, but it's still a very good picture and fine for watching telly. It's not exactly blurry, but it's not as crystal clear, perhaps owing to the doubling up of pixels.

Sorry as this is is a terrible photo given the light conditions and using my S5 camera... doesn't really help. The monitor on the right is a 21" Eizo Flexscan for comparison on size.

ayaupt.jpg

Associate
I haven't got a Sky HD+ box, but I am using Freeview HD, which I believe is 1080i also. It's not as crystal clear as it was with my Sharp 32" 1080p TV, but it's still a very good picture and fine for watching telly. It's not exactly blurry, but it's not as crystal clear, perhaps owing to the doubling up of pixels.

Sorry as this is is a terrible photo given the light conditions and using my S5 camera... doesn't really help. The monitor on the right is a 21" Eizo Flexscan for comparison on size.

ayaupt.jpg

Thanks for this very much appreciated . could do with a few more pics from others .

Wondering if NETFLIX would detect the monitor being 4K too ?

Soldato
Perhaps the TV manufacturers are paying Netflix to have their 4K enabled app exclusively pre-installed on their TVs as a way to help shift units. It's not like there's many other sources out there for users to easily get it from at the moment.

Associate
Thanks for this very much appreciated . could do with a few more pics from others .

Wondering if NETFLIX would detect the monitor being 4K too ?

TVs that can stream 4K Netflix have an onboard HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) chip. Essentially the data is sent to or received by the TV in the compressed format and then rendered by the HEVC.

There are a few early 4K TVs that don't have this and therefore don't work with Netflix in that res.

See this article entitled 'Not all UHD TVs can stream Netflix 4K

I don't think it's much more sinister than that.

Soldato
Ahh okay, interesting

Up to this point, we assumed that all TVs with built-in HEVC decoders—needed to "unlock" the 4K videos that used the codec—would be able to play Netflix 4K streams. HEVC, also called H.265, is a new, more efficient video compression scheme that's being used to send 4K videos, which take up a lot more space, through existing broadband networks at speeds as low as 15 to 16Mbps.

But what we learned is that Netflix has its own certification program that TV manufacturers must pass in order for their TVs to be able to receive Netflix 4K videos. According to Netflix, beyond a TV having an HEVC decoder, its certification program examines things such as picture quality (whether the 4K streams from a particular model look good enough) and whether the TV (and the HEVC chipset it uses) can support a wider gamut of colors. Some manufacturers may start selling TVs before the sets have passed the certification process. Once they do, the software can be updated to deliver 4K Netflix streams if the set passes, but if it's the chipset that is the problem, they may never be able to play Netflix 4K streams.

So they have a chip that will decode H.265 to a standard that meets their quality criteria. Kind of makes sense.

No reason that home computer users shouldn't be able to decode the stream through their home PC to play on a 4K monitor really though, is there?

It kind of annoys me that I have to use the built in app on my Sony TV to watch 4K netflix as it's not as responsive as the app on the Amazon Fire TV. But none of the 4K content is available if I try it through the TiVo box or Amazon Fire. I would expect the Fire has plenty of grunt to decode 4K content.

Associate
Mine should be here Friday and got the price dropped to £598 with first class delivery from the rainforest, I have had it on order since the 2nd January (only reason I went with them was I had a few £££ in vouchers).

Called them yesterday and they upgraded the shipping to get me a guaranteed delivery day although it still an estimate but it beats 6-8 weeks I was originally quoted

Soldato
Nice price.

About £100 less than I paid for mine in December . But I knew I was paying over the odds and didn't really care.

I wanted it, and I love it.

Now if I could only get crossfire in elite I could max out the AA.

Back
Top Bottom