The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Soldato
Reminds me of the LG 34 Ultrawide thread where people knew it would be a hassle ordering that from europe yet many still ordered.

When they did have problems they kept moaning all the time - blah blah had to send my monitor back to europe and having issues moan moan moan.

Exactly. About 8 years ago, I bought a Hanspree 27" monitor at what seemed a steal from a EU web site. It had horrible backlight bleed and was all round a horrible monitor. When I DRSd it I was told I had to use a specific courier that was goin to cost me almost £100. In the end I just kept it and put up with it for a few years.

Great price if you have zero problems, once/if you get warranty problems then all bets are off.

Soldato
Sadly not at the moment :(

It is a great monitor for gaming and general windows use. I would hesitate to recommend it to someone who relied on coulour accuracy for their profession. I used to do a lot of graphics work for sim/sim addon developer and had a Dell U3011. I would have had to think twice about the Philips BDM4065UC if I was still doing professional graphics work.

I would simply constantly wonder if this colour/tone was correct. Ironically that would just be my perfectionism coming through. Most people's monitors are cheap 1080p and they haven't a clue (or care) if they are calibrated.

Soldato
Whats your opinion on it once its calibrated?

A key issue with VA technology is that the gamma shifts at different points of the screen, due to viewing angle weaknesses. This is apparent when sitting in front of the monitor from a normal viewing position, and is particularly significant for large monitors such as this. No amount of calibration can counteract that and the monitor will only ever be giving you a true representation of the colour in the centre of the screen.

Soldato
A key issue with VA technology is that the gamma shifts at different points of the screen, due to viewing angle weaknesses. This is apparent when sitting in front of the monitor from a normal viewing position, and is particularly significant for large monitors such as this. No amount of calibration can counteract that and the monitor will only ever be giving you a true representation of the colour in the centre of the screen.

Agree 100% but would add that for normal use and gaming the colour shift is not as bad as a TN. For professional use the BDM4065UC should be very low on your list.

Associate
Thinking about buying one of these and so is my brother.

Does anyone know of any reviews for gaming experience? Or if you have it, could you break it down?

For me, I've been wanting a bigger screen with 4k, right now I'm at 1440p. Is this jump big in clarity?

My brother has been eye-balling a 3440x1440 style screen because he is currently at 2560x1080 but when I showed him this monitor he was sold on the size/resolution.

Any comments are helpful! It's hard to find a lot of info on this right now...

Also, any word on release in America? I'm not opposed to buying from OC but I am just wondering?

Soldato
Thinking about buying one of these and so is my brother.

Does anyone know of any reviews for gaming experience? Or if you have it, could you break it down?

For me, I've been wanting a bigger screen with 4k, right now I'm at 1440p. Is this jump big in clarity?

My brother has been eye-balling a 3440x1440 style screen because he is currently at 2560x1080 but when I showed him this monitor he was sold on the size/resolution.

Any comments are helpful! It's hard to find a lot of info on this right now...

Also, any word on release in America? I'm not opposed to buying from OC but I am just wondering?

I received confirmation from a Philips product manager that they do plan to release it in the US (at some point). I have been wanting to review this model for a while, but I've been busy reviewing other models and now I'm free to review it they don't have any samples available. Typical! ;)

Associate
I received confirmation from a Philips product manager that they do plan to release it in the US (at some point). I have been wanting to review this model for a while, but I've been busy reviewing other models and now I'm free to review it they don't have any samples available. Typical! ;)

Did they give you any ideas on dates over here? Q2? q3?

Caporegime
Q1 2015 for the USA I gather, shouldn't be too long

Love, love, LOVE mine!! Already used to the size, anything else just seems tiny! My 11" MBA looks ridiculous next to it :D

Soldato
Political ranting aside, my point still stands :)

What political ranting exactly? Your point was about pro monitors, what usually separates pro products is typically their price and how they're advertised, not their actual capabilities. Pro and consumer stuff isn't all that different. Clever marketing and a much larger price tag are by far the biggest differentiators.

Soldato
I miss my screen... work is keeping me from it so much lately.

And this weekend will be all about installing trifire 290x's, so actual gaming will be limited.

I do agree the gamma shift can be pronounced.

I do use it for editing my photos, but as I am not a professional, it's not a major concern to me.

It's pretty good for gaming though. No complaints in that department. Far better for motion than the samsung 32 inch VA panel.

Soldato
For those worrying about gaming performance with 4K:

I'm running an older i5-2500K clocked at 3.3Ghz with 16GB ram. I have a single GTX 970 card. I was a bit worried that it would struggle (particularly the ageing CPU), but it runs really well.

Most games I've tried at full resolution have been fine to good. You can lower the AA to 2x to give the game more headroom, and it looks fantastic in most stuff. I have most games on high/ultra settings. Sometimes I turn down shadows slightly to medium/high.

World of Warcraft runs mostly at 60fps, dipping to 40fps in certain areas.

Skyrim runs similarly to World of Warcraft, 60fps to 40fps. When it dips there is no discernable lag or feeling of sluggishness.

Alien Isolation runs smoothly around 50fps.

Divinity: Original Sin looks stunning, I haven't measured but it must be around 60fps on max settings.

I haven't yet tried any twitch shooters like CS:GO but given the above performance, I suspect it'll run at max settings at 50-60fps.

I would like to re-iterate that 4K resolution is absolutely mind blowing. The picture detail and quality of this screen is so gorgeous you won't believe how you lived with 1080p.

I haven't detected any screen tearing or unusual behaviour in any games. Colours are quite cool (i.e. they don't jump out / feel saturated) but they make for a beautiful, soft, evenly balanced image across the screen.

For the money, this is a superb buy and I am well chuffed with it. If you are in two minds about buying it for gaming, just go for it. You can upgrade your graphics card later this year if needs be.

Back
Top Bottom