*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
I've just been reading an article that quotes Scott Rohde who's the software product development head for Sony world wide studios america that states that the PS4 will not allow online passes.

Sony won't be using online passes for first party games because even if you buy it used you're still paying for PSN+. Whether or not 3rd party publishers use them is out of Sony's hands.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Sony won't be using online passes for first party games because even if you buy it used you're still paying for PSN+. Whether or not 3rd party publishers use them is out of Sony's hands.

hmm from what i remember from the e3 show the only time they said you'd be paying for multiplayer games would be psn games, where you;d need a sub in the first place to be able to purchase them anyways. the only other online multiplayer games that should cost you anything extra is mmo's.

that is unless iv missed something, and by something i mean where someone from sony says you need a psn sub to play ANY game online.

Soldato
He's quite clear in the article that it won't be happening.

He's made it quite clear that Sony can't stop third party publishers from using online passes. It's up to the publishers.
The online (multiplayer) component of third-party games could be restricted to second-users (with a paid online pass required to unlock).
Source
So it'll be the same as it is now.

Soldato
I just came across this and thought i would share for people who havent seen it.

Its final fantasy 15 battle gameplay and it looks awsome to me.
I wonder if this is running on the ps4?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBilT83Uq4A

It does look pretty awesome.

I kind of with they'd used a different IP for this and stuck to turn based for FF but I'll definitely be picking it up.

Caporegime
He's made it quite clear that Sony can't stop third party publishers from using online passes. It's up to the publishers.

Source
So it'll be the same as it is now.
I think the confusion just lies that whatever that online pass is, it wont be how its executed today within Sony PSN infrastructure, the publishers with have to to set that up all by themselves outside of PSN.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
Would there any be any benefit in replacing with an SSD?

I suppose it's expensive though. When you was replacing a 60GB HDD it was affordable, but a 500GB one's a bit trumpy.

Hrm I thought that perhaps PS4 would be supporting 3D for gaming. Is this not the case? Googling about suggests not.

They probably don't mention it as it is thought of as such a standard feature nowadays.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Would there any be any benefit in replacing with an SSD?

I suppose it's expensive though. When you was replacing a 60GB HDD it was affordable, but a 500GB one's a bit trumpy.
Wait til we know more about the file system and more importantly if game installs are required/allowed. If they are, a SSD whatever the file system should help - Ill be getting one but will look into how external drives are dealt with - be nice to have my favourite games on the SSD while the others on the external - like people do with spilt Steam installs. If its like the PS3 Ill just get the biggest XT drive I can...

ps3ud0 :cool:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
also depends what hdd comes with the ps4. just hope its not another 5400 eco snail drive like we got with in the early ps3's.

if its a fast 500gig drive id probably stick with it for a few years until sdd's are very cheap.

Back
Top Bottom