*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
We'll blow me down, when I'm playing a game, I'm of the mindset that I AM the person that I am controlling... I don't think, oh I'm telling Solid Snake where to go, he'll be mad at me if I go the wrong way!

Why do my triggers vibrate when I fire a gun then, if I'm just "controlling the strings". Surely by your logic, that's retarded also?

In make-believe world, you can be whatever you want to be! Personally I like turning a big cardboard box upside down, cutting holes in the front, painting wheels on the side and pretending I am a big fat bus driver.

No ones saying your opinion isn't valid fella.

It'll be in a minority now though, everyone's bored of the happy clapping, wafting and pretending that you are doing banal stuff by doing vague actions that aren’t really relevant.

Yup. The gimmick that is the suggestion of motion and implied interaction "WOW LOOK HOW INTERACTIVE THIS IS" is childs play. The gimmick was long over, probably back around duck hunt time. It's good that developers are always looking for new ideas but until we have true VR or control through suggestion by the mind then I think we should just accept that gameplay should be confined to the fingers and thumbs for now.

Soldato
OP
I'll be dismayed if Sony feel the need to make us use the touchpad in games like the Vita. It's totally unsuited to gaming. It's almost as if they think the controls on tablets and phones are a benefit of the platform! :(

I can think of a few uses of a touchpad on a controller.... hmmm better control for RTSs, for a start. Swipe different screens into focus. New puzzle mechanics etc.

Caporegime
Surely the thumbstick would just be easier for that? I haven't seen the interface for the phone but if you're taking your thumb of the thumbstick to use the pad you might as well just use the thumbstick.

Soldato
I'll be dismayed if Sony feel the need to make us use the touchpad in games like the Vita. It's totally unsuited to gaming. It's almost as if they think the controls on tablets and phones are a benefit of the platform! :(

I think the vita one isn't that bad as I have my 4th and 5th fingers behind the controller doing nothing when I play anyway, so at least that gives them some use.

But on the top you have to use fingers/thumbs already take up by other controls/buttons.

If they made it on the back I think it would have been better.

Caporegime
Agreed at the back like the Vita would have been rather useful, on the front it will either duplicate functions or if it does an unique function youll have to move your fingers off other controls.

I just hope its all re-mappable

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
Immersion doesn't come from peripherals or gimmicky motion controls, if anything they detract from the experience as they take you out of the game by asking you to perform a task IRL.

The most immersive games I have ever played have been those with fantastic storylines or such a visceral gameplay experience that you just can't put it down.

Soldato
Immersion doesn't come from peripherals or gimmicky motion controls, if anything they detract from the experience as they take you out of the game by asking you to perform a task IRL.

The most immersive games I have ever played have been those with fantastic storylines or such a visceral gameplay experience that you just can't put it down.

Oooh nice use of visceral there mate.

Soldato

:cool: Completely agree with that. I have only experienced that in a handful of games such as Half Life 2 and Heavy Rain. If either of those games had silly gimmicky motion controls I wouldn't have had the same experience.

Soldato
What's the situation with Headsets on the PS4, will I be able to use my Astro A50's on them or will I need to buy some new ones?

I seem to recall the Xbone needing new connections or something but maybe I misread that.

Caporegime

I disagree, it can come from both what you're doing on screen and how you're doing it. It depends wildly on the game.

Associate
I disagree, it can come from both what you're doing on screen and how you're doing it. It depends wildly on the game.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Neither motion or voice controls have ever done anything but bring me out of the game. Part of the reason why I've jumped ship to the PS4 is that the motion controls/eye thingy is optional.

If I bought an Xbox I'd be paying a premium for the Kinect which I simply wouldn't use.

Soldato
What's the situation with Headsets on the PS4, will I be able to use my Astro A50's on them or will I need to buy some new ones?

I seem to recall the Xbone needing new connections or something but maybe I misread that.

It looks like again on the PS4 it will be bluetooth and the controller has a hi def 3.5mm mic input, all PS4 comw with a headset althought its just like one of those mobile phone type things.

Soldato
The last of us has you shaking the controller to recharge your flashlight..

Even that's too much.

I'll let it go through, best game ever. (I'm being hyperbolic but it was extremely good.)

Last edited:
Soldato
It looks like again on the PS4 it will be bluetooth and the controller has a hi def 3.5mm mic input, all PS4 comw with a headset althought its just like one of those mobile phone type things.

At the moment, my astro's work with the optical out for the audio and when I want to use chat I plug the unit into the USB port. So this should still work ?

Back
Top Bottom