*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Caporegime
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Neither motion or voice controls have ever done anything but bring me out of the game. Part of the reason why I've jumped ship to the PS4 is that the motion controls/eye thingy is optional.

If I bought an Xbox I'd be paying a premium for the Kinect which I simply wouldn't use.

Look at it this way, the experience of playing a song on Rock Band with friends, would that be the same if you were using normal controllers? I don't think so.

Then something like Child of Eden I found incredible playing with Kinect (sadly there haven't been more examples like it), much more so than using the controller.

Caporegime
Look at it this way, the experience of playing a song on Rock Band with friends, would that be the same if you were using normal controllers? I don't think so.

Then something like Child of Eden I found incredible playing with Kinect (sadly there haven't been more examples like it), much more so than using the controller.

certain games do benefit from not using a pad, but they are a minority imo.

obviously if you are playing a game like bowling or rock band then using a gimmicky controller helps. but those types of games are hardly at the forefront of games and are quite "basic" games.

for fps or football, i imagine it would make the whole experience worse than a pad, basically the more advanced the game is, the more you need a accurate input.

this is why some people spend £100+ on a xim so they can use specifically the mouse part of a KB and mouse setup, a gaming mouse is so accurate in a FPS it blows a controller out of the water.

people also come out and slate everyone who uses a XIM as they see it as cheating, personally i think that console developers should learn from XIM and add more accurate inputs into their consoles. this doesnt mean make move/kinect more accurate, it means either make the thumbsticks more sensitive and accurate or add kb and mouse functionality to the console for all games.

Soldato
Heavy Rain was an awesome game. Could not put it down. A true movie game experience.

I think (or at least, hope) that Beyond will end up being what Heavy Rain really should have in the first place. I enjoyed Heavy Rain, but the storyline was quite convoluted at times and voice acting/dialogue was a huge let-down which broke immersion and meant I simply didn't feel for any of the characters.

They've obviously spent a lot of time on Beyond and they've got some great actors involved too, so it looks like it'll be very good. Of course, the inevitable game to beat in terms of story this year is The Last of Us, and I can't help but think it'll fall short.

Associate
I never said they were a majority, I said that controllers and other input methods can aid immersion in a game, hence the evidence.

Controllers can certainly make a game more enjoyable, Wii Sports would be pants with just a regular controller, I don't think they add to the immersion however.

Just opinion of course, motion controls just aren't for me I'm afraid.

Soldato
Bit harsh, I've got the Kinect and the eye, as quite frankly I am a gadget tart with no self restraint who should know better.

They are both a waste of time.

I'll probably end up buying the eye for the 4 however, due to the above.

hah! I'm also a gadget whore but I was thinking of buying the Eye to try and get the girlfriend into gaming. She has absolutely no interest in it (yet!) but when we were at her friend’s house they were all playing some Kinect dancing game and she was giving it socks. I only tried the Kinect that once but it seemed good for getting a group into casual gaming (start them off with that before you get them hooked on the good stuff :D).

I would be interested in the Eye if it’s similar but Kinect seems to judge depth as well as 2D and I don’t know if the Eye does, does it? Also what games are there for the Eye, does anyone know?

Soldato
So what games are people getting at launch?

I was going to get:
BF4
KZ:SF
Drive club (Upgrade PS+ edition to full)
Watch Dogs
Fifa 14
Plus any must have titles potentially announced at gamescom/TGS

However, I've decided to get BF4 on pc as I prefer KB&M for fps games but I'm torn on watch dogs. Whilst I prefer to get multi-platform games on the pc as graphically they are usually better (either fidelity or fps) I'm torn in this case due to the ability to remote play on my vita!

Caporegime
I have pre ordered the console, a controller and FIFA 14.

I'm going to wait for more information before pre ordering any more games; Watch Dogs looks great but it is Ubisoft and I dislike them and avoid their games.

Caporegime
I'm starting to think I might hold off the PS4 until Infamous comes out (has it got a release date?) I'm not sure if any of the launch exclusives interest me really. I might pick up Knack/Killzone but I could just wait for them.

Caporegime
I'm starting to think I might hold off the PS4 until Infamous comes out (has it got a release date?) I'm not sure if any of the launch exclusives interest me really. I might pick up Knack/Killzone but I could just wait for them.

Yeah, I'm hoping they do an Infamous bundle. The more I think about it, the more I keep saying I don't really need a new console. I need a new computer first. :(

Soldato

Now the initial buzz has worn off I'm starting to think the same. I'm keeping my pre-order for now and I'll see how I feel around September/October.

Caporegime
Yeah plenty still to come out - looking forward to just talking about games...

EDIT: Think Driveclub might end up being my MP of choice - really need to read more about it, I automatically think TDU whenever I hear about these types of games. Planetside 2 also might be my main MP FPS too.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
EDIT: Think Driveclub might end up being my MP of choice - really need to read more about it, I automatically think TDU whenever I hear about these types of games.

I'm hoping "The Crew" will fill the gap left by Test Drive Unlimited. I think a few of the ex-devs from Eden are working on that now. I don't know when that's supposed to be coming out though.

Back
Top Bottom